NVIDIA Announces the Ion Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
This actually interests me. It may not be pretty, but being able to play some semi-modern games on the road, with decent batter life, would be great. Considering it's a low power system, I wonder what the batter life would be like.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
But you cant put in as good batteries, otherwise it gets too big and heavy...
I'll pretend I understand that.

There are laptops with 'good' batteries, are those too heavy? I certainly hope they don't try to make the low power consumption an excuse to scimp on the battery.

dyingcat

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Wasn't there an article a couple days back, about how Intel only sells the Atom processor bundled with their chipsets? Did Nvidia get Intel to sell Atom as CPU only?

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]liemfukliang[/nom][/citation]
I forgot why, but I'm almost certain that that specific laptop doesn't count as a real netbook or something silly like that.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
where can you place a harddisk on that small black plastic box? external drive? does it have an ethernet port?
other than that, this piece of hardware is going to be awesome especially in small or even big home theater systems.
i guess playing 720p videos on a netbook with only an intel atom is still cool too.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
the 9400m supports the same opengl specs as the regular 9600gt doesn't it?
I can't help but to wonder if those bricks wouldn't be the perfect computers for light autocad work (we educated wielders and the like, who need basic 2d cad drawing experience). So long hp sells us their leftover systems as dirt cheap as they do now it ain't relevant, but it could just be the perfect replacement for our cheap computers ...

G

It seems interesting, and definitely a topic to have a follow-up!

I'm interested to see if this platform will become available for the mini notebook, and booksize desktop PC's!

Powerconsuming benchmarks and performance benchmarks will be appreciated when it becomes available!

Also, I see tomshardware posts a lot of street prices we as average consumer can not find!
It'd be appreciated if a great deal is found, to also tell us where to find it! (since most of the time newegg and other online stores sell for more expensive than the street prices mentioned here).

G

[citation][nom]jaragon13[/nom]fucking piece of comment box shit[/citation]
it's a FF issue, not a comment box.
The commentbox now works fine for me,when disabling some services with the addon noscript.

Though I have to say this tomshardware has too many ads.

Rabscuttle

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Um, are you people crazy. This is an INTEL Atom we are talking about! You know that CPU designed for smart phones and MIDs. The processor that sucks worse then a Celeron; the processor that is a tick better than the wretched VIA C7/M. The processor that doesn't even bother to put in a superscaler architecture. You know ***THAT*** processor. If this processor was marketed by VIA, Transmeta (when they marketed processors and not patents), ARM or even AMD it would be summarily ignored (much like the much better VIA Nano) but tack that magic Intel name on it and suddenly it is the bomb!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Rabscuttle[/nom]... If this processor was marketed by VIA, Transmeta (when they marketed processors and not patents), ARM or even AMD it would be summarily ignored (much like the much better VIA Nano) but tack that magic Intel name on it and suddenly it is the bomb![/citation]
I remember back before the Core 2 came out, I was talking to a friend about why he bought a brand new Dell XPS with a Pentium 4, and why he didn't go for a different computer with an Athlon64. He said he trusted Intels processors to be more compatible. Mind you this guy has a masters degree and writes software for a living. I explained to him that Microsoft themselves build and test their software on AMD just as much (if not moreso) than they do on Intel. He seemed completely surprised by that. Needless to say, too many people really do hear the word "Intel" and automatically think its better.

Nvidia probably jumped ship from the VIA deal just because the Atom is probably more pin-compatible with their existing chipsets, and they had to do less engineering to get it to work. Considering the VIA Nano is a faster chip, it obviously wasn't performance Nvidia had in mind.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I remember back before the Core 2 came out, I was talking to a friend about why he bought a brand new Dell XPS with a Pentium 4, and why he didn't go for a different computer with an Athlon64. He said he trusted Intels processors to be more compatible. Mind you this guy has a masters degree and writes software for a living. I explained to him that Microsoft themselves build and test their software on AMD just as much (if not moreso) than they do on Intel. He seemed completely surprised by that. Needless to say, too many people really do hear the word "Intel" and automatically think its better.Nvidia probably jumped ship from the VIA deal just because the Atom is probably more pin-compatible with their existing chipsets, and they had to do less engineering to get it to work. Considering the VIA Nano is a faster chip, it obviously wasn't performance Nvidia had in mind.[/citation]

Actually your friend does have a point. Yes microsoft might be testing on amd, but I do distinctly remember having to patch windows before I could boot it on my k6-2 (if it ran faster than 300mhz) ... stuff like that might be in fresh memory when you're talking about p4's ...
And in any event, poorly written software like autodesk's products might not have been tested on all amd platforms, but will have been on intel ones. Significantly reducing errors on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.