Nvidia Begins Regular Windows 8 Driver Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Let's ask nVidia and AMD to go on win8 driver strike until microsoft brings back the start button :)[/citation]Don't get too hung up on the Start Button. Most your programs can be accessed from a "frequently used" list, just like Chrome's New Tab Page. The rest can be accessed through a simple search command. Personally, I don't think Windows 95 divinely had the best layout, so I welcome an attempt at improving it.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]hdawood[/nom]AMD drivers are available here. In fact the leaked builds have been available for sometime now. Guru3D linkI use classic shell (WinXP style start menu) in Windows 7. I am sure it would work in Win8 as well.[/citation]

This is all cool. But MS is taking the choices away.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Not surprising since Win8 seems like Win7 under the hood...[/citation]
Correct - its internal version is 6.2. For comparison, Vista is 6.0 and Windows 7 is 6.1. Going further back, Windows XP is 5.1 and Windows 2000 is 5.0.

ltdan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
If people want "Metro" then let them have it, but at least give us choice to go classic. Metro may be fine for a Tablet, and doesn't look too bad on the 360. But on a full-fledged PC? Really?

Anyway, at least there is pre-release driver support. Unlike "Longhorn" (oh god) A.K.A. Vista Beta.

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hdawood[/nom]I use classic shell (WinXP style start menu) in Windows 7. I am sure it would work in Win8 as well.[/citation]

I use hieroglyphs on papyrus, should work on win8 as well /sarcasm

The win7 UI is the best I have seen so far from Microsoft, you should really start using that :) And yes I have worked with those machines that booted up from paper cards that had hole's....

ali2551

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Unfortunately the win8 driver is so unstable that stops responding several times a day for me. BTW win8 does freaking hard try to recover that driver and not to show me the new and shiny BSOD screen :/

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Just a heads up. Do NOT allow windows 8 to update your NVidia drivers to the 196.17 cause personally I hadn't seen my PC to die and restart by itself for maybe years due to drivers. ( lies, There was one on the Nvidia page as abeta that did it about 3 months ago . Usually all the beta work great for me )

So, avoid at all cost cause it messes up with your GPU more than you would like it to. Started with restarting the drivers and then after a restart it failed miserably within minutes without even watching an HD clip or gaming. :/ 295.73 are the way to go till something else comes along.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Manos[/nom]Just a heads up. Do NOT allow windows 8 to update your NVidia drivers to the 196.17 cause personally I hadn't seen my PC to die and restart by itself for maybe years due to drivers. ( lies, There was one on the Nvidia page as abeta that did it about 3 months ago . Usually all the beta work great for me )So, avoid at all cost cause it messes up with your GPU more than you would like it to. Started with restarting the drivers and then after a restart it failed miserably within minutes without even watching an HD clip or gaming. 295.73 are the way to go till something else comes along.[/citation]

You paranoid or something? You are among the few who have a problem. And then....a lot of us have problems with video drivers from various reasons :D

Status
Not open for further replies.