Nvidia binned/cherry picked VS Custom PCB

Anthony_F_Thompson

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
So I think its normal to know that Nvidia picks all the best cards for them selves. That must mean that afterwards they send off the rest to other guys like EVGA.

Some cards get a simple replace of a cooler design and aesthetics.

Others get an entirely new PCB built for them.

Does this mean that all of Nvidias cards are faster and more stable than both after market and custom cards? Or do custom cards have an advantage, aside from cooling, over Nvidias cherry picked?

I assume the custom PCBs are also faster and more stable than the reference design they were handed.

They dont reserve the best chips for themselves, in fact, I dont believe Nvidia cards undergo any special binning outside of basic tests.
Also, they dont send out cards to other manufacturers, they only send out the GPU chip itself. Theres a reference PCB involved though.

All in all, I would say custom PCBs and actually binned chips (most dont bin at all), are the better option. Reference cards from Nvidia are just available earlier, more compatible with watercooling at launch, and some people like reference coolers.

Anthony_F_Thompson

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013

I'm not so sure about the new reference coolers. Some people need/prefer blower cards for their cases.