Nvidia Boasts New Laptop GPU With DX11 Crysis 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Maziar[/nom]580M is slightly faster than 485M and 570M is slightly faster than 470M.I was expecting more.Furthermore, I've heard Alienware is charging $600 for it(from GTX 460 1GB),which doesn't make any sense.[/citation]
It never has. Alienware's laptops are insanely high priced.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]fball922[/nom]I just got one and the battery life is[/citation]
I take it the laptop died in the middle of posting? lmao

ccarroz

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I game on my laptop all the time even though my desktop is much more powerful. I use it for when I travel and want to play games on the plane or in the hotel. battery last for a hour and a half while on the plane.

I also use it to play star craft on the couch so that my dog can sit with me while I play instead lay somewhere else waiting for me to finish. She is sitting with me right now :).
whysobluepandabear :
Gaming on laptops STILL doesn't make any logical sense. You're paying a big ass premium, just to be tied to a wall outlet. What, do you think one day you'll decide "Hey, It's a beautiful, sunny day outside! I think I'll go to the park and play some Crysis on a park bench"

My laptop is about 2 and a half years old now and my 9800m GTS is starting to show its age. Especially when I compare it to my 6970 in my desktop. So yeah laptop gaming makes scene for some. If you don't thinks its worth the price you pay for it then don't get one and stop being so narrow minded and stop inferring things like since its not a good fit for me then it also must not make sense for everyone else.

G

Dont know about you but i spend 60% of my life in the air between working places in airplanes and so forth. Would hate to cart around a big monster desktop with screen and buy the ticket for the seat next to me to place it on. While also being able to enjoy it in the multitude of hotels i stay in. A super fast laptop of good quality is what I use most of the time even though I have a 3000$ desktop plus 3 x 24 inch screens at home. But that's me. Yeah I have already seen all the inflight movies 20 times over. And sorry the movies on the DSTV is getting too boring in the hotels.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]So the 580M is about on par with the 6970 I'm assuming- right?[/citation]
The GTX485m outperforms the HD6970m by a small margin, so I would imagine the GTX580m being a performance leader.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]What about taking your laptop to your friends house, or when traveling. And I have been to some fancy parks that have wifi and outlets near park benches and tables. Even in airports now almost every table has an outlet near it.[/citation]
Get a Mini-ITX case for your desktop computer. Most mini-ITX mobos have 1 PCI-E port for graphics card. You'll have more power than a top laptop graphics card which usually translates into a medium desktop range, underclocked. And of course great portability.
Gaming on a laptop is OK if you want to play on low settings with low resolution or with low spec games, but you lose screen and keyboard quality. Furthermore, you still can't play everywhere because you need a stable surface if you are going to play for a long time (more than half an hour).

I have to agree to some degree with the first post, playing on a laptop is kind of mindless. 15 inch monitor with a keyboard, mouse and mini-ITX case isn't that big, compared to those high-end gaming laptops beasts.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Diabolix[/nom]I think its awesome, go to LAN'S with a laptop and you can still play everything, but yea the price would be a negative point[/citation]

My little nettop case can do the same thing with only 60 seconds more disconnect / reconnect time and cost me $600.00 with the ability to upgrade every component.

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]JerseyFirefighter[/nom]
You're being completely short sighted... I would rather drop 2k on a laptop I can take ANYWHERE and play games.. I have considerable down time at work, I visit in laws for extended weekends (eckk) So having the ability to throw my sager in a bag and frag wherever I go as opposed to being linked to a desktop only is worth it to me. On the flip side to these SLI monstrosities (which I do not own for that reason) is the fact these portable powerhouses need TWO AC adapters to be plugged in at once... My sager's power brick is the size of an actual brick already.. I dont need two of them.[/citation]

Yea... you CAN play those games on a laptop outside, where someone will just steal it from you.

"Oh no! That F@CKIN @SSH@LE homeless guy jsut stole my 2K laptop! Someone, please stop him!"

LMAO

Taylor422

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I recently got an HP DV7 for 1k after tax and shipping, (thanks to Tom's links, found like $500 worth of coupons). It can handle a lot of stuff on decent graphics. And, it switches to the IGP too, 3+ hours of web surfing away from the outlet.

Sure, I have a desktop for gaming. But, I also needed a new laptop. SO, why not something that can game? It's not a "gaming laptop" per se, but it only cost a grand, and it's not shabby.

i7-2630QM
1GB Radeon 6770M
8GB DDR3
Blu-ray player/lightscribe

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I have a special made travel PC instead of a laptop. More expensive than Alienware, but it can be reconfigured and upgraded at will. Currently 16GB RAM, but no SLI (x8 x8 Radean is used for it's stil coool). twin 1,5TB HD's and a sluggish old Quadcore. The net speed is a limiting factor. 50/10 at home is unavailable at most places. When Windows 8 arrives I'm still upgrading because I just got the RAM's (4G->16G, back-up desktop can now go from 4G->8G). Unfortunatelt Linus is still so rarely used in desktop that is I need it I rather take a Unix based PC (with Mac desptop UI, they [Apple] call it "Lion beta")

Another good option could be Alienware portable with double batteries
BUT NO Gay-Force TOASTERs FOR MY LAP !!!

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]...What, do you think one day you'll decide "Hey, It's a beautiful, sunny day outside! I think I'll go to the park and play some Crysis on a park bench"[/citation]
Sounds like a fun idea to me. :)

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]JerseyFirefighter[/nom]You're being completely short sighted... I would rather drop 2k on a laptop I can take ANYWHERE and play games.. I have considerable down time at work, I visit in laws for extended weekends (eckk) So having the ability to throw my sager in a bag and frag wherever I go as opposed to being linked to a desktop only is worth it to me. On the flip side to these SLI monstrosities (which I do not own for that reason) is the fact these portable powerhouses need TWO AC adapters to be plugged in at once... My sager's power brick is the size of an actual brick already.. I dont need two of them.[/citation]

Just build a HTPC sized PC and there you go.

People act like It's some huge, monstrous and unreasonable size and weight to lug around, when in reality, these notebooks are FAR from lightweight and thin to begin with. You also ALWAYS have to be strapped into a wall outlet anyways, so why not just complete and compliment the situation with a proper desktop?

And seriously? People are going to complain about SPACE? If you can't fit a desktop case and a monitor in your dorm, or whatever area you inhabit, then you REALLY need to check into those tents they sell at Walmart, or any other fine retail sporting store, because the people in Africa ever have enough space for a desktop in their little huts - what excuse do you possibly have? Are you allowed a 5X5 space and that's it?

Instead of dropping 2G's on these overpriced, and unpractical beasts, you could build a KILLER rig for $1000~, and buy a notebook that actually serves it's purpose and is PORTABLE (without relying on wall outlets), for a mear $400~.

So that fact that you could have BOTH, which also means better hardware and an actual upgradable path, should mean A LOT to you.

Should I also bring up overclocking and heat scenarios? Good luck being strapped to a laptop chassis and some compact CPU cooler - meanwhile I'll use a laptop to do what It's made for, and that's PORTABILITY, not gaming on the go. I'll take my sweet 7 hours of battery and productivity, and use my crafty imagination to build a portable and compact sized PC for me REAL gaming needs.

What else are you guys going to complain about next? Two extra cords getting tangled upon?

It's your money, do what you want - It's your freedom to after all. Just realize that only people with an Apple-fanboy mentality are going to be giving you the attention you must be craving, and the REAL people that know what they're doing might say "Cool", but secretly be wondering why you were such a chump to drop that much $$$ into a system that has little to no upgrade path, and can't even game without external power for more than 20 minutes.

Maybe you can brag about the 2 seconds time you saved opening up MS Office? Oh wait, even a crap notebook would be able to match your times - the only thing you have is GPU power you can't even realistically utilize, without defeating the entire mobile concept to begin with.

G

One of these would slay a ~$400 notebook on battery life and time spent "opening Office." Please point to a relevant $400 notebook that does what you think.

Desktop's not really so upgradable. Intel/AMD continuously change socket size after 2 gens, and most people wait for the second gen to buy in on the processor. PCI has upgraded from 2 -> 3 within 5 years, and SATA went from II -> III in less time. Memory took a while to move from ddr2 to ddr3, but each processor architecture departs from using FSB/Hyper Threading/whatever as well as boosting performance by dual-channel then dual-channel overclocked then tri-channel then back to dual channel with hyper threading. Even the power supply plugs don't last longer than 5 years going from 20 to 20+4 to 24 all within a decade.

You should rethink the "upgradability" option of these highly touted desktops, because you can usually only make incremental upgrades to the processor, memory, and graphics card after a couple years while the newest, fastest, mouth-watering speed options will only work with a new motherboard, processor, memory, graphics card, and power supply.

You get to reuse the case and the fans, but the fans crap out pretty fast. Just take a nice laptop and enjoy life. I'm squeezing on the last leg of the 4th year of my "Crysis" worthy desktop with no upgrades worth making. Can't go to i-architecture for processor, can't go to sata III, can't go to PCI 3.0

Well, laptop gaming makes sense if you only have cash for one computer, and is a student/mobile professional/whatever.

I sprung for a mid-spec gaming/entertainment laptop because I could play some games if the lectures became boring.

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

Play what? Bad Company 2? Or even better, Arkham City when it comes out!

LOL

___
"Whoever said that their computer is 'future-proof' is obviously a retard." -secretxax

Status
Not open for further replies.