Nvidia CEO Celebrates FTC's Case Against Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Thank you Jen for your measured reaction.
My guess is what you wanted to say was
"That'll teach you b*tches to screw up our chipset division. Also, please send me your Larrabee prime blueprints, I'm out of TP. Bwahahahahahaha!"

pullmyfinger123

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I wish Nvidia would stop popping the champagne corks and focus on how it can compete with AMD/ATI. Nvidia is falling behind in price and performance. FOCUS PLEASE, Nvidia!

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
My guess is that the FTC's observation of Intel paying off AMD as a sign of their guilt. Additionally, sense AMD's cases have been dropped the FTC is free to subpoena anyone and everyone now with out the restrictions that another pending case would cause (evidence being withheld or blocked for example).

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
What exactly is the FTC charging Intel with, and on what grounds? I'd say that nothing I've heard so far - which is why I'm asking - sets off any "evil corporation" bells in my head. Look at the their processors and SSDs. Are they the best performing pieces of kit out there? Yep. So why shouldn't they command a price premium? It's not the government's job to make sure that no company gets too far ahead of any others. Besides, having Intel products priced high means more room for other companies in the lower price-tiers, where consumers (at least) seem to be putting their cash these days. Zipzoomflyhigh, do you have a link to any further information about this "stealing, bribing, and copyright infringement?" I know they made that big settlement with AMD, and that's that. No double-jeopardy, that issue is solved, so the FTC shouldn't try to go after them for that. Would love more information...

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Summation of Nvid's CEO comment:
Yes!! Thank you FTC for giving us a scape goat for our lack of innovation.

Does Nvidia's CEO know that they do not compete in the CPU market? Does he know that if Intel keeps a monopoly and hinders innovation of CPUs that it actually helps him if the mainstream adopts parallel computing of GPUs? Where do you think people will go if a CPU upgrade does nil, but a GPU upgrade improves performance?

Will someone please get him a neck cone to prevent his foot from entering his mouth!?

mrcmark

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Good memo to boost employees moral. Cunsumers deserve innovation. Competition from these companies makes sure that cunsumers always benefits.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Nice, another line of dialogue has been added.

Intel: Ok AMD we are sorry, you can have some pie.
AMD: Thank you.
FTC: CAN I HAS PIE TOO?!
Nvidia: Pssss, hey FTC. Get a big piece so I can have some too.

aceright

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
My Dell XPS1330 laptop died this week. Reason? Nvidia GPU "bumpgate" death. NV clearly knew of this issue and covered it up to the detriment to consumers. I don't want to hear a single word from them about fair business practices as NV are some of the biggest hypocrits in the industry. My 6800GT sans advertised video features says hello as well. Maybe NV should be investigated as they have a long history of similar practices, anti-competitive behavior, and actions that harm consumers. Not only do you have PhysX, but there is a long list of actions like their SLI lockouts, developer bullying (e.g. removing features that benefit competitors), and driver hacks that hurt AI. Their influence on review sites is also pretty staggering.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I like Nvidia... they have done great things to make graphics technology better, and eventually I hope that GPGPU / parallel computing will be much more widely used. They're right, as soon as Intel saw them as a threat, they pulled their typical BS monopolistic tactics. I hope the FTC takes it to those bastards...

But, Nvidia's marketing department seems to have a collective mindset pulled straight out of... really mean middle school students. They're not going to do anything blatantly evil, but only because they don't have the ability to. If a developer gets support from Nvidia, suddenly AA features go missing for ATI products, or DX10.1 support is pulled. Pulling PhysX support for users who have an ATI GPU, just because they know that they're current videocards are inferior.

Intel needs to be punished, but Nvidia probably shouldn't gloat so much. We know they're assholes too.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Daekar, they are referencing leveraging tactics to OEMs, Server Builders, etc. (Dell, HP, Asus, etc.) And offering them steep discounts IF they did not buy X amount of other product and only make X product available through certain small channels. (For example, I believe there was something with HP and only being able to use AMD chips in servers for 'X' sized business otherwise they wouldn't be able to offer such steep rebates and price reductions).

danish_2828

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]Nice, another line of dialogue has been added.Intel: Ok AMD we are sorry, you can have some pie.AMD: Thank you.FTC: CAN I HAS PIE TOO?!Nvidia: Pssss, hey FTC. Get a big piece so I can have some too.[/citation]
FTC: Only if you let PhysX work with AMD

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Yes, it would be appropriate for the FTC to go after Nvidia because of their Physx lock down. It restricts consumers choice.

Besides, one would think Nvidia has its hands full preparing to launch the new geforce 300 series. Apparently not...

lumpy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
If You want physX...buy Nvidia.Why would they want it to work on AMD cards? You have a choice christop. Its like saying it isnt fair that some ps3 games wont play on your xbox360.boo hoo

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
what does physx have to do with ANY FTC case? if it were mine and i had to BUY Ageia to obtain the tech, i wouldn't hand it over freely to the side of the aisle that continuously mocks its existence, would you?

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]lumpy[/nom]If You want physX...buy Nvidia.Why would they want it to work on AMD cards? You have a choice christop. Its like saying it isnt fair that some ps3 games wont play on your xbox360.boo hoo[/citation]
Some people prefer to have an ATI GPU as their main graphics processor, and a cheaper Nvidia GPU like a GT 220 as the PhysX co-processor.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
This guy is just a big douchebag. I seriously cringe at every word that comes out of his mouth. I cant wait to see the results of his douchebaggery catching up to him.

I like Nvidia, and depending on the game, I prefer their GPU. But their CEO is a jackass.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I think you have to be an a$$hole to stay in the business. But man, some are just complete morons.

Maybe that's why I never own any Nvidia's card. I just don't want to get infected.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]lumpy[/nom]If You want physX...buy Nvidia.Why would they want it to work on AMD cards? You have a choice christop. Its like saying it isnt fair that some ps3 games wont play on your xbox360.boo hoo[/citation]

It isn't that people were complaining they couldn't use their ATI card for Physx, it's that Nvidia was blocking people from using Physx if a competitor's card was present on their system at all, even if your system had an Nvidia GPU for the Physx. Of course it holds the real purpose of giving people less reason to buy ATI in case they sell a more powerful GPU (oh look) desirable as a main card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS