News Nvidia CEO Gets Performance-Related Pay Cut, Probably Won't Notice

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
He is a wealthy minority, we need more of those. So good for him that he is fortunate to make so much.(Pay cut or raise) Nvidia does make a top notch product, so it makes sense Jensen makes the big money.

His paycheck does not affect my life in any way and it doesn't make me jealous either.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
Those who are grossly over compensated don't feel anything if they take a $2.5M cut from $23M annual compensation. Their income is just a means of keeping score by the extremely wealthy.
Just looking at the names listed, a quick tally in my head comes up with at least $50-million for those people this year. I wonder how much the little folk on the assembly lines charged with the actual building of their products earn? No wonder nVidia products are so expensive when the managerial class is "compensated" so well for their "work".

Reactions: artk2219

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
He is a wealthy minority, we need more of those. So good for him that he is fortunate to make so much.(Pay cut or raise) Nvidia does make a top notch product, so it makes sense Jensen makes the big money.

His paycheck does not affect my life in any way and it doesn't make me jealous either.
I guess you don't buy nVidia products? If you do, those compensation packages are part of the price you pay when you buy their product so it does effect your pocketbook.

Reactions: SydB and artk2219

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
I guess you don't buy nVidia products? If you do, those compensation packages are part of the price you pay when you buy their product so it does effect your pocketbook.
This is completely what I meant about jealousy, since the numbers don't add up. Based on the numbers, I don't have the ability to get outraged over one single dollar.

JPR reckons that 42 million graphics cards hit the market in 2020, rising to over 50 million last year.
In a year where 50 million GPUs were sold, basically three quarters of that was Nvidia, which is somewhere around 36 million Nvidia GPUs. If I'm reading the table correctly given in the article above from today about his pay, Jensen made $19 million that year.(23 mil the year before)

At 36 million GPUs, that's basically 50 cents per GPU. If I can't get outraged over one dollar, I really can't get outraged over fifty cents.

If you had 36 million one dollar bills as a result of your pay, you would have a larger paycheck than Jensen Huang. 36 million dollars. 36 million GPUs.

If Jensen went completely pay-free next year I wouldn't have noticed the difference at all on the product I just purchased.

50 cents per GPU. What am I missing?

If I legitimately desired lower prices on GPUs, I would demand paycuts for all the employees or some firings. Nvidia has over 26 thousand employees. The employees are where the big money is at in terms of labor cost. It's simple math to do one dollar per GPU. What do you get?

But I don't want that with the employees. I'm not jealous of any Nvidia employee, including it's CEO.
Again, I need to know because the numbers certainly don't say it. 50 cents per GPU. What am I missing?

Last edited:

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
I wonder how much the little folk on the assembly lines charged with the actual building of their products earn?
Obviously they're happy with their salary, or they'd be working elsewhere. And since the average worker at TSMC -- who makes the bulk of NVidia's products -- receives some $130K per year, I think they're doing fine.

No wonder nVidia products are so expensive when the managerial class is "compensated" so well for their "work".
Jensen Huang's salary is less than 0.1% of NVidia's annual revenues. Assuming that NVidia receives 50% of the revenue from AIB sales (the other half going to the board maker itself), if he eschewed his salary entirely, it would drop the price of an $800 card by all of forty cents. If you'll allow me to step into the vernacular: grats you.

But let's consider a more realistic scenario. Since most people won't work for free, NVidia could fire Jensen, and hire a cheaper CEO ... perhaps the Intel VP who oversaw their outstanding Larrabee GPU? Then we could see NVidia go a decade or two without releasing a new product, then dazzle us with 3rd-rate hardware and buggy drivers? But hey, at least we'd save forty cents on each board.

Co BIY

Splendid
The value to a company of effective management should be very easy to understand by anyone who's ever had a bad boss. (I assume thats all of us who have had more than one or two jobs.)

I'm not sure overpaying gets you a lot better perfromance but underpaying is unlikely to help.

Reactions: Jaxstarke9977

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Here's a little "joke".

Three candidates were interviewed for an Accountant's position. The simple question was...

How much is 1 + 1?

First one said, 2
Second one also said, 2
Third one after hearing the question, looked both sides slowly, moved closer to the interviewer and replied in whispering tone... How much do YOU want it to be?

Third one got the job!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Those who are grossly over compensated don't feel anything if they take a $2.5M cut from $23M annual compensation. Their income is just a means of keeping score by the extremely wealthy.

Who decides if he's "over compensated" or not? He's built one of the biggest tech companies on Earth. He deserves every penny if you ask me.

Reactions: Why_Me

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Three candidates were interviewed for an Accountant's position. The simple question was...

How much is 1 + 1?

First one said, 2
Second one also said, 2
Third one after hearing the question, looked both sides slowly, moved closer to the interviewer and replied in whispering tone... How much do YOU want it to be?
Three economists go hunting. Eventually they spot a large deer. The first one takes aim, shoots, and misses 30 feet high in the air. The second one shoots low, and hits the ground 30 feet in front of the deer.

The third one shouts, "we got him!".

TRENDING THREADS