News Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang debuts new lizard-embossed leather jacket, also says something about AI GPUs

apiltch

Editor-in-Chief
Editor
Sep 15, 2014
What's next, reporting on the fragrance of his farts?!? Because "journalists" seem to have been sniffing them a lot lately.
To be fair, we had this debate in the office today about whether we should do this story or not. I'll take the credit or the blame for assigning it. But Jensen's jacket has been a subject of reporting before and the man is a celebrity. It's like Steve Jobs' turtleneck. Not everyone will find this interesting and, to be fair, it's not life or death info, but it's fun to know (I think).

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
To be fair, we had this debate in the office today about whether we should do this story or not. I'll take the credit or the blame for assigning it. But Jensen's jacket has been a subject of reporting before and the man is a celebrity. It's like Steve Jobs' turtleneck. Not everyone will find this interesting and, to be fair, it's not life or death info, but it's fun to know (I think).
In the same vein I wonder if he got it in the sale.

hannibal

Distinguished
Jensen leather jacket is meme and definitely worth of news!
Now we know where our GPU money are going!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But seriously… this is good news and you definitely should do it again next year when 50xx series is released!
We want to know why 50xx series will be 30% more expensive and 30% faster… at least in upper segment… after leather jacket news, we know!
:cool:

Reactions: Nitrate55

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
I only come here out of habit now, because it's not for the content.

No need to defent Tom's position on this article, I'd say. It's most definitely tongue in cheek and don't let the people that doesn't agree with the humor or doesn't understand it put pressure on your editorial decision.

I sometimes don't agree with the general humor or even articles, but I respect the editorial direction you've kept for Toms. Even with the "Just buy it" piece that everyone, including me, gives you flak for (I do it in jest!).

So, for what it's worth, I liked your decision to allow this article to be published as it was and it gave me a good laugh.

Regards.

Reactions: peachpuff

CmdrShepard

Upstanding
Dec 18, 2023
To be fair, we had this debate in the office today about whether we should do this story or not. I'll take the credit or the blame for assigning it.
Hello and thanks for responding to my unbridled criticism.
But Jensen's jacket has been a subject of reporting before and the man is a celebrity.
I was under impression that Tom's Hardware is a tech news and reviews website, not a celebrity gossip tabloid. Guess I was mistaken.
Not everyone will find this interesting and, to be fair, it's not life or death info, but it's fun to know (I think).
To be honest, I wouldn't have reacted like I did if his jacket was mentioned in one paragraph while the announcement he made about new tech was the rest of the article.

Considering that it's the other way around (everything except the last paragraph is about his damn jacket) I can't see this "article" as anything other than a fluff piece designed to keep his name search ranking high.

In my opinion, there's too many articles like this which are either talking about non-tech stuff which is so barely tangential to what Tom's Hardware was publishing in the past that it requires suspension of disbelief to read it, or articles that quote (and sometimes even hype) nonsensical CEO statements from X instead of calling them out on their bullshit like proper investigative journalism should be doing. I won't even debate the articles which are just copy-pasting stuff from Phoronix, The Verge, etc and linking back to them -- I can just go and read that stuff there because often it will have more (and correct!) details that the regurgitated content posted here.

I understand that the content is free (although I'd gladly pay a subscription to have the old Tom's Hardware content back), and I also understand that I am probably not your "core audience", but you guys should ask yourselves what will become of your audience if you keep doing stuff like this.