Nvidia CEO Wants Further Action Against Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]OMG!? 'As it stands, Intel currently owns 53-percent of the GPU market'?!?! With so much market share with such crappy GPU's?! HOW!?! And why?[/citation]

Its called IGPs. Most people do not need a super GPU like we do. Most people use a PC for work, school and light gaming. Intels IGPs are cheap and do what is needed to be done.

Thus intel owns the GPU market because their IGPs are so cheap compared to nVidias or ATIs.

Kinda funny how nV says Intel stiffles competition yet they didn't back when SLI was only on their chipsets.....

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I'm kinda confused here, so a company isn't allowed to sell its own product with another one of its own products for whatever price they want? If nvidia wants to use Intel's stuff they are going to need to buy it.

I am going to expect to pay a premium for a better integrated gpu, as a matter of fact I was picking parts to build a blu ray player/web browser for my bro's hdtv, and there was no way I was going to buy the crap Intel gpu and then have to buy discrete one, when I can get the convenience of a atom/ion combo and have a smaller/slimmer platform.

There just seems to be a lot of Intel hate here, I do agree what Intel did with Amd was dirty, but it wasn't Amd trying to use Intel hardware.

exploresalot

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Well, look at it this way - if lets say Ford were to tell you that if you bought a car - the escape for example, it would cost you $75000. However, if you buy the escape with the extended warranty and 5-years of oil changes then it will cost you the more appropriate price of $40000, would you be pissed? What if the only 3 car companies were Ford, Porsche and Yugo? What if Yugos were only serviced at Ford and they wouldn't service them unless you bought the escape with for $75000? How mad would you be then? But of course you have to drive, so you get a Ford with the warranty and the oil changes anyway and be done with the headache.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]And that is why they need to partner with VIA, well if VIA could put out a chip that actually competes with the Atom anyway an can sell it to NV cheaper.[/citation]

via has recently announced a system-on-chip that can do 1080p , so they arent exactly looking to go nvidia's way . this soc doe not need ion . a netbook platform with intel and ion , now , and its good for the consumers.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]ptroen[/nom]As if Nvidia hasn't been anticompetitive as well. Cough cough Ageia...[/citation]
Are you sure you are reading it correctly??

Read it again:
They have offered the Atom [a total of three chips] for $25, but when the one-chip Atom is used with Ion, it sells for $45,
So, it's $25 for the ATOM + Chipsets...

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Sorry, wrong quote.. Correct one is here:
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]You are misunderstanding. $25 is not the price of Atom AND the chipset together. It is the price of Atom when bundled WITH a chipset... they did not specify the price of the total atom/chipset bundle.It's a $20 discount.[/citation]

Are you sure you are reading it correctly??

Read it again:
They have offered the Atom [a total of three chips] for $25, but when the one-chip Atom is used with Ion, it sells for $45,
So yes, it's $25 for the ATOM + Chipsets...

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Manufacturing costs for an Atom cpu is somewhere around 8$.
See here: http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-features/36795-intel-builds-atom-cpu-for-8-sells-it-for-up-to-135

The trick here is that Intel can lower their huge profit margin for Atoms in order to legally compete as aggressive as they need.

This is capitalism at it's best, you can't complain about it.
The thing is nVidia makes a great competition on the chipset side, Ion is great.
But the Atom has no real competitor, I mean there is no 2W x86 CPU that can run XP or win7.

nVidia has no legal grounds to require further action against Intel, but if the customers are really hurt by Intel's aggressive pricing, they should take that action and stop buying Intel products.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
It looks as though NVidia is trying to get in on that 1.25B action that AMD is receiving from Intel. However, regarding that 80% market share on notebooks with Intel GPUs, I will not buy a notebook with that POS Intel GMA garbage.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]You are misunderstanding. $25 is not the price of Atom AND the chipset together. It is the price of Atom when bundled WITH a chipset... they did not specify the price of the total atom/chipset bundle.It's a $20 discount.[/citation]
No, its the price of the bundle.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
There would be a major story here if AMD had truly superior products at much more competitive price points but that's not the case. Intel is ahead because it has good products at good price points. That $1.25B to AMD doesn't go back to savings for consumers.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Huang is goin crazy lately with his aparent mac fetish and loose lips. He's going to sink Nvidia if he doesn't learn how to handle PR better. Shut your freakin mouth before you get hit with a defamation/slander suit by intel. You really think you lawyers are better?

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Maybe nVidia should consider a partnership with VIA... At least in the market segment that nVidia mentioned here (net book type applications with the Atom chipsets) the VIA nano CPU is very competitive.

G

MS and Intel has government backing. Huang was a processor designer from AMD. Nv is on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.