News Nvidia CMP 30HX Mining GPU Hits The Market For $723

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Needless e-waste... or is it?

To the big scale miners out there: Is this really useless? You folks will keep mining even with a crash, but for the small scale miners, these cards aren't all that great.
[I probably won't get a response from one, but oh well...]

Last edited:

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Introducing mining specific cards is a much better solution than using your closed source driver to sabotage your customer's purchases.

Hopefully AMD follows and also introduces mining specific products.

Thank you Nvidia, and good job.

Giroro

Splendid
Introducing mining specific cards is a much better solution than using your closed source driver to sabotage your customer's purchases.

Hopefully AMD follows and also introduces mining specific products.

Thank you Nvidia, and good job.
Well, the point of sabotaging the hash rates of gaming cards was mostly because Nvidia wants to sell cheap obsolete cards for more money than the new high-end ones. It rubs me the wrong way when a monopolistic company like Nvidia actively spends time and effort for the sole purpose of making a good product worse. It's regressive and a misuse of engineering.
It would be one thing if they had put that effort into making a superior mining card using their old architecture, but they didn't. They didn't even bother to put a smaller PCIe connector on these, so I don't think they even redesigned the circuit board. The only thing this offers miners over an RTX card is availability. Miners are still going to buy up all the gaming cards whenever possible because even a locked RTX 3060 is more efficient and a better value.

This card is a greedy cash grab in the clothing of a PR stunt. It's clear their goal is simply to squeeze cash out of miners, not to improve the gaming market. If Nvidia cared about gamers than they would either price the CMP 30HX as the no-brainer best-value card for mining operations, or they would have just brought back the full1660 Super. Gamers might as well have something old to use while miners continue to snap up everything better.
If they cared about gamers they would build out a bot-resistant site that would let us backorder small quantities of cards, and just ship them out as they come available. Why not let people get in the system; let us get in line? Why frustrate potential customers by making them mash F5 in a futile attempt to mash F5 faster and more often than a million F5 mashing robots? Oh, right, because they learned from Nike and Beanie Babies that you can make way more money when you trick people into panic buying the first "drop" they see, regardless of price or quality. get. hyped.
Instead all Nvidia is offering here is a mining "overflow" card, so they can continue to sell a trickle of juicy high-margin cards to miners between the gaps of selling full RTX shipments to miners. Meanwhile we all sit frothing on the sidelines, driving the irrational demand that lets them cynically overcharge on their CMP mining cards, or their RTX mining cards, or their GTX mining cards. They aren't even trying to appease gamers anymore, we are just a marketing tool to boost their mining business.

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
"Capping hash rate on gaming cards" and "releasing crypto-mining-only cards" is just another way for Nvidia to screw over the gamers in the long term.

This is the long-term plan:

• Because of the two points above, miners buy mining cards instead of gaming ones.
  • When miners have no need for those cards in the future, they can't sell them to gamers (who are looknig to buy used cards for gaming).
  • Since there will be far less second-hand gaming cards available in the future, those gamers will have to buy a new card from Nvidia.
  • Less used cards on the market, the more money Nvidia makes selling new ones.

it's all about decreasing the amount of used cards that can be sold in the future

So gamers get effed, unwanted mining cards end up in the landfill, even miners get the shaft since they can't resell their old cards, and Nvidia gets richer. So everbody lost, even the environment lost, and Nvidia profited from that loss.

And people continue to support that company by buying their products. No wonder this world is so screwed up.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
It's all about decreasing the amount of used cards that can be sold in the future

Most of your much larger post I tend to agree with. These are just more of the same of the reasons why many years ago I switched to Linux on every of my digital devices and now refuse to buy hardware unless it has an open source driver. Free at last, free at last......

I once told a friend of mine who asked me "well what about this game X that doesnt work yet in the Steam Linux client?"

I answered: "Then that's not a game I want to play."

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
The only thing this offers miners over an RTX card is availability. Miners are still going to buy up all the gaming cards whenever possible because even a locked RTX 3060 is more efficient and a better value.

I think this is accurate, but availability on the backend of mining-specific cards will start to erode demand for full-scale gamer cards on the front end and bring the availability crunch to an end much sooner. For a miner, a less efficient mining card that is available is better than a video card that isn't currently available, and a large portion of those who bought mining cards in the first instance won't be back in a second instance. That right there is what will resolve video card availability issues much sooner.

This card is a greedy cash grab in the clothing of a PR stunt. It's clear their goal is simply to squeeze cash out of miners, not to improve the gaming market.

Miners are paying customers, of course Nvidia will move to meet demand with new products. Even if its not intended to improve the gaming market, by resolving demand issues on part of miners it will have a positive effect on the gaming market by meeting demand sooner on the other side. It's a simple math equation ultimately.

They aren't even trying to appease gamers anymore, we are just a marketing tool to boost their mining business.

Agreed.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
  • When miners have no need for those cards in the future, they can't sell them to gamers (who are looknig to buy used cards for gaming).
  • Since there will be far less second-hand gaming cards available in the future, those gamers will have to buy a new card from Nvidia.
it's all about decreasing the amount of used cards that can be sold in the future

These mining card are going to be purchased by mining operations. They don't care about zero resale value because they don't sell the cards off. They're in it for the long haul, and don't bail even if the market crashes. This has nothing to do with reducing future used cards, because nothing these mining operations buy are ever going to end up on the used market, whether they're using gaming cards or not. That's how businesses operate. When we retire PC's in my company, we don't sell them on EBay even if they still have value, we either donate them or throw them out.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
These mining card are going to be purchased by mining operations. They don't care about zero resale value because they don't sell the cards off. They're in it for the long haul, and don't bail even if the market crashes. This has nothing to do with reducing future used cards, because nothing these mining operations buy are ever going to end up on the used market, whether they're using gaming cards or not. That's how businesses operate. When we retire PC's in my company, we don't sell them on EBay even if they still have value, we either donate them or throw them out.
I get it - or at least I think I do:
The large scale mining ops are going to purchase these in bulk.
The small scale ops - like Bob hoarding a few-several in his basement, are still gonna buy gaming cards.

roblittler77

Honorable
Aug 19, 2018
These cards are going to be a horrendous source of e-waste in a few years time.

At least with a gaming card, when they are no longer profitable to use for mining they can be sold and used in a mid range PC, with these, especially as NVIDIA nerfed the drivers so you can't use them in a hybrid graphics setup, they are going to landfill.

It's not about keeping gaming cards for gamers, its about destroying the seconhand market for mining cards.

D

Deleted member 14196

"Capping hash rate on gaming cards" and "releasing crypto-mining-only cards" is just another way for Nvidia to screw over the gamers in the long term.

This is the long-term plan:

• Because of the two points above, miners buy mining cards instead of gaming ones.

So gamers get effed, unwanted mining cards end up in the landfill, even miners get the shaft since they can't resell their old cards, and Nvidia gets richer. So everbody lost, even the environment lost, and Nvidia profited from that loss.

And people continue to support that company by buying their products. No wonder this world is so screwed up.
The miners will probably keep buying gaming cards anyway. This whole stunt may backfire on them

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
This is a joke. It's just a PR stunt to show that NVidia takes action against the usage of GPUs from miners.
This card is TOO expensive for those poor 26-28MHs/s. Why spending ~$700 for 28MH/s while a 3060Ti delivers 55-60MH/s for a street value of $700-800$?? And don't forget that if crypto fever ends, you can always sell those GPUs while 30HX will be pretty much useless (or try to convince someone to buy a 1660 that was used for mining! :D

ps. Kudoz to NVidia. 5y old RX580s had better mining performance!