NVIDIA color settings resetting after boot / on startup

Jayzied

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2013
Hi mates,

I'm having a problem with Nvidia Control Panel and Win10 which I can't solve for myself. I adjust colors settings of my two monitors on Nvidia program but every time I reboot or I turn off my system, it loads some kind of default control settings. This is something that didn't happened at the begining (in fact, I've reinstalled Win10 this morning) but, I don't know exactly when, it starts to happen. I've tried to use my color settings on Win's color management (don't know how it's exactly said in English) and disable fastboot features on Win and UEFI, without success.

It's weird because when Win starts, the order is: default color - Nvidia color set - default color. It happens in 1 second. When I check Nvidia Control Panel, my settings seems to be enabled (they're checked) but I have to click on them to really apply the changes.

I have last Nvidia Drivers, all updated.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Jayzied

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks for your fast answer mate.

I've read that's something done on last update (not sure if Nvidia or Win10). Is this a known issue so? Nothing that I have to take care of?

jamespapiro

Commendable
Jan 11, 2018

This issue is caused by the WindowsColorSystem scheduled task running at user logon. The NVIDIA driver hooks the user's logon and then applies the settings, however, the Microsoft scheduled task that initializes the Windows Color System runs just after and loads the default color profile for the monitor (timing issue). Since I prefer to use the driver manufacturers' control panels to manage my color settings, I disable the "Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsColorSystem\Calibration Loader" task.

- Jim P.

Solution

Jayzied

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2013

Oh man, it FINALLY worked like a charm.

Thanks mate!

silentshuan

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018

Hello! I have had this issue prior the the Fall creators update, but I have determined a method for fixing this on my end!

TDLR; Windows color cal. reverts Nvidia's
Fix (Perform this at your own risk):

1. Open Start Menu and type in "Task Scheduler" Select and open "Task Scheduler"
2. In the Task Schedule window navigate to (Task Schedular Library > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsColorSystem)
3. In the task list locate "Calibration Loader" right click this task, and select disable

Notes:
The problem originates from the way Windows handles its own color profile settings on user log in. Windows task is a bit slow when doing this so it ends up reverting any color profiles setup through other applications. The Nvidia color profile task seems to run faster than the Windows color calibration so it ends up reverting the changes. I imagine this could fix other issues with other programs that manage color profiles as well.

Feb 26, 2018

Thank you very much Jim P.
This problem had me disabling all kinds of things trying to figure it out. Now all is good again!

Mar 1, 2018

Hey "Moderator" K1114. You got schooled. Thanks JamesP, it worked for me as well. Much appreciated.