Nvidia: Consoles Can No Longer Surpass PC Graphics

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Why is everyone so worked up? What the man said was true, obvious but true. Who here right now doesn't have a PC more powerful than the next Gen hardware?

If the title said "Console Graphics could no longer Surpass PC Graphics for the Money", then it would make alot more sense.

While true, PC graphics have always been better, i've been playing PC games since back in the day when VooDoo graphics were all the rage and destroyed console games. I also remember having to dump tons of money onto more memory, a better processor and a high end graphics card.

I dont find anything right in what some guys are saying.
First of all , the one who thinks there is a PC alternative for the PS4 , has no idea of what he/she is talking about. For 400$ , you can at best build a G2020 + HD 7770 which is far more inferior than the PS4........
The X1 however is quite easily comparable with 4GB DDR3 RAM , A HD 7950/HD 7870XT / GTX 650Ti BE / GTX 660Ti , FX 6300 / FX 4300 / FX 8320. It will crush the X1 for the first 2-3years. But later on , that rig will end up either on eBay , or as a HTPC. Not in the Console case , as you practically be able to play games for 5-6 yrs on 1080p with the X1 or PS4. Even if you make a PC with the 4670K , GTX 770 , 8GB RAM and some other fancy SSD's and stuff , 5yrs later ( forget 6-7 yrs which these consoles will leave ) the PC will not be able or struggle to play games in 1080 with 60fps. I doubt the case it will be going above 4 yrs TBH. But these consoles can give you that. The PC vs Console wars are dumb IMO , as the consoles for the budget or casual gamer , while PC for the hardcore or rich gamers.
I say the same to those who have budgets lower , but want the thing to last long.

HKILLER

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I red in Game Spot that Microsoft is planning to keep Xbox One for the Next 10 years.i guess that's burning Nvidia even more.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Yes do you ? do you have something to say here or just baiting?

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I really think that this will be the last console generation. Phones and smart TVs will catch up on graphics and processing power and will send consoles to the trash bin with the walkman... Anyone remembers convergence?
The huge Android base, is in fact a bigger market for game developers than consoles,

g-unit1111

Titan

Next time I see the phrase "butt hurt" in this thread someone is getting a ban. Use of this phrase is a personal attack and can be considered highly offensive to some. Please refrain from using it again.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes I do, Phys X is a set of instructions on the graphics processor and not a dedicated card. Just asking. :lol:

Stephen Emhecht

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Holy crap, most of these commenters don't know a damn thing about what AMD and NVIDIA actually do. "OH OF COURSE NVIDIA IS [removed] LOL!!!!!!!!!"

Except, you know, their enormous contract with HTC and many other smartphone manufacturers which use their GeForce chipsets kind of... disprove that? Shut up and do some research first, all of you.

Please refrain from using that word. It is considered highly offensive and a personal attack to some and against the rules of the board. - G

g-unit1111

Titan

It's driver instructions not hardware. I know about what it was in the 8800 days though.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
PhysX is a hardware-accelerated physics API originally created by a company called Ageia around 2002. They provided an add-in card that did the calculations for the API. It doesn't necessarily make games run faster so much as allow the game engine to run significantly more physics computations in real time than would otherwise be possible and still have a playable framerate. Stuff like detailed cloth movement and liquid simulation. nVidia bought Ageia in 2008 and modified the API to use CUDA for acceleration instead Ageia's custom hardware.

martelmungo

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Oh no PC sales are delcining for those that are not gamers... nvidia and amd don't face an issue considering they make chips for tablets and laptops. their PC Desktop market is still going strong, so long as games keep getting visually better, and more dynamic, this will continue, gamers need power to plays those at max settings, gamers are not switching to tablets anytime soon, and laptops are only done if their is a need for portability, on a daily basis. If your laptop is going to sit at home, you should by a desktop. I have a kindle, with android on it, and a windows 7 desktop, enthusiast gaming PC, i can stream my computer to my kindle, and have that processing power at my fingertips.
You people do not understand that different people need PC's for different Reasons, the decline in the market is not in gamers, but people that use computers for word processing or internet. Other gamers, or media professionals MAY switch, if they are okay with paying a lot of money for portability and performance alineware for example. Laptops. Otherwise most are stuck at desktops... its like the average person only need like 3 megabit/s internet connection, most people don't even use 50gb a month on their internet, however others stream constantly and may use a terabyte a month @ 100megabit/s connection. That is another reason why gaming computers, laptops or PCs are expensive, laptops more so, but it is because its not a average persons market, it has grown over the years but it is not the average marketplace. Also desktops will always be more powerful, because their components are bigger, they can fit more transistors in each component.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Whatever. The consoles are for folk who can't foot the bill of a typical PC. There you have it. The middle class is shrinking and the market place works towards this. So the parents just fork out some mediocre amount of dosh for little ones. So many folk have pcs that are more then a decade old.

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
This is all very true, but there are other reasons why the idea of a console tends to work so well. The thing requires very little setting up, or tuning the graphics options or anything, simply because all consoles are identical, so the developer can pre-set it. There won't be driver issues, because the game was developed to run on, and tested on, that particular device. Also, consoles tend to come with gamepads, which are a more intuitive way to control your character in most situations (although many exceptions exist, of course), which is another device the consumer will not usually buy for his pc, and even if he does, like I did, not all pc games play nice with them without some fiddling. Now of course, even though, strictly speaking, nVidia is right, one must remember this is a company that's still bitter over AMD's monopoly in that sector. Of course they will point this out. Even though everybody knows already.

FyreFyter

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I think that pc is better than console sometimes in performance and flexibility, and the consoles can get level with pcs but the pcs can always be upgraded and console can't really, when they do there will be a better graphics card for the pc that will overcome the consoles.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Meh the only good thing about the consoles its that they dont waste resources on the OS while gaming. the New Steam os is Promising i think we could expect better Fps with their OS

Aylios

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
While I'm a PC fan myself, this guy doesn't actually a lot of sense. If console sales drop because consoles are underperforming due to their limited power supply, then manufacturers will just slap in more powerful hardware and increase the power consumption. Who's going to say, "hey I'm not buying a console because it eats too much electricity, I'll go buy this top end PC instead, which eats even more!" Yeah that makes sense. Like many have pointed out, this sounds like sour grapes on Nvidias part for not getting lucrative console contracts.

berock212

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I think that money has to do a bit with it. You have pc graphics cards that cost a grand, and that's just the graphics card. Console players don't want to spend a grand on a console, so they don't put that much money into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.