Question Nvidia Control Panel bugged, or just poorly designed?

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
Ok, I bought a new Nvidia graphics card and a new 34" Alienware 3440x1440 monitor...it can run at 120 Hz, but is only running at 105 Hz at the moment. I thought I overclocked it to 120Hz but apparently I didn't...when I tried to overclock it today I ran into what appears to be a design flaw: to get to 120Hz I have to use the custom resolution settings...but when I do change the settings to 120Hz I am given the choice of testing the new resolution or canceling the change. Testing only returns me to the same two choices...there is no 'apply' button. What am I missing here?

Ok, I bought a new Nvidia graphics card and a new 34" Alienware 3440x1440 monitor...it can run at 120 Hz, but is only running at 105 Hz at the moment. I thought I overclocked it to 120Hz but apparently I didn't...when I tried to overclock it today I ran into what appears to be a design flaw: to get to 120Hz I have to use the custom resolution settings...but when I do change the settings to 120Hz I am given the choice of testing the new resolution or canceling the change. Testing only returns me to the same two choices...there is no 'apply' button. What am I missing here?
Once the resolution is tested, close the custom resolution dialog and the custom resolution will be available as an option in the resolution list like all the others.

User Name Noob

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I'm talking about the refresh rate, not the resolution. The only choice that I have after "testing" the custom resolution is a max refresh rate of 105 Hz. There is no way of applying the change to 120 Hz.