Nvidia Control Panel Only Showing 3D Settings

Tophy_

Reputable
Mar 25, 2016
So I noticed my Minecraft was running off of the iGPU instead of the dedicated 1060 in my laptop. The solutions seem to be related to Nvidia Control Panel, but when I open it, I only find 3D Settings. I tried using DDU to uninstall drivers and then I reinstalled, but I got the same issue. How do I get Nvidia Control Panel to work. And if I can't, how do I get Minecraft to use my dedicated GPU.

Solution
If the java is set to internal graphics, minecraft would have to default to it as well as minecraft was written in java. But if both java and minecraft are set to nvidia, and it still only runs if global is set to nvidia, then it might be something else I'm not accounting for. Rather than play whack-a-mole with your individual list of programs to see what it is that we're missing in switching to nvidia instead of integrated you can leave it as is on nvidia on global, but then switch your browser, your mail and your basic programs (office, video etc.) to integrated graphics individually instead. More tedious but it'll work just fine.
In either case you can play now with decent fps?

Sedivy

Estimable
When you go into 3D settings, and then instead of global settings tab, select program settings, find minecraft from the list of programs, and then for hardware to use, select the dedicated video card instead of the built in graphics.

Tophy_

Reputable
Mar 25, 2016

I did that and Minecraft is still using iGPU.

Sedivy

Estimable
Hmmm. Can you right click minecraft and select Run with graphics processor xxxxx card option?
Also go into the nvidia control panel 3D settings and add java to also use nvidia card specifically. Make sure you select the same java version installation that the game is going to use.

Sedivy

Estimable
Well global settings to gpu isn't ideal on a laptop as it's supposed to use integrated graphics for browsing etc. (less heat for simple tasks).
Try using global for integrated but set java to nvidia.
And yes forgot about physx, this might have been the issue.

Tophy_

Reputable
Mar 25, 2016

For some reason, if I change global to iGPU or default Minecraft runs on the iGPU. My temps seem to be ok with global set to my dedicated GPU.

Sedivy

Estimable
If the java is set to internal graphics, minecraft would have to default to it as well as minecraft was written in java. But if both java and minecraft are set to nvidia, and it still only runs if global is set to nvidia, then it might be something else I'm not accounting for. Rather than play whack-a-mole with your individual list of programs to see what it is that we're missing in switching to nvidia instead of integrated you can leave it as is on nvidia on global, but then switch your browser, your mail and your basic programs (office, video etc.) to integrated graphics individually instead. More tedious but it'll work just fine.
In either case you can play now with decent fps?

Solution