News Nvidia Cops to Uncapping Crypto Performance on RTX 3060

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I'm not sure why this warranted a separate article as opposed to just an update of the previous one. We already knew everything other than the most recent statements by the company. It's not like it was a mystery where the driver came from either; the download link for it provided in the previous article goes straight back to Nvidia's own website.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm looking forward to the flood of 30 series cards that hit the 2nd hand market for cheap when the next hard crypto-crash happens, and Nvidia's reaction afterwards when the next gpu lineup doesn't sell as well.
It didn't help the already unimpressive Turing sales at all when the last crash happened; plenty of GTX 10 and RX 400/500 cards were available.

I'm not one to purchase anything 2nd hand, but I understand that I'm an odd man out for thinking like that.

Last edited:

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I'm looking forward to the flood of 30 series cards that hit the 2nd hand market for cheap when the next hard crypto-crash happens, and Nvidia's reaction afterwards when the next gpu lineup doesn't sell as well.
It didn't help the already unimpressive Turing sales at all when the last crash happened; plenty of GTX 10 and RX 400/500 cards were available.

I'm not one to purchase anything 2nd hand, but I understand that I'm an odd man out for thinking like that.

Funny thing is those cheap Pascals and Polaris are currently skyrocketing in price today, maybe the same thing will happen in the future when 40 or 50 series cards launches right at another mining boom, who knows.
In the end I'd probably drive my current GPU(s) to the ground, poor mates can't have a rest

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Funny thing is those cheap Pascals and Polaris are currently skyrocketing in price today, maybe the same thing will happen in the future when 40 or 50 series cards launches right at another mining boom, who knows.
In the end I'd probably drive my current GPU(s) to the ground, poor mates can't have a rest
The crashes will happen. It's just a matter of when, but they're inevitable. The system is simply not infinitely sustainable.
The folks in favor of crypto will try to keep the bubble going for as long as they can, but only those with money and resources can afford to absorb the loss from the crashes and keep on pumping.
That's why this whole thing looks like a Ponzi Scheme.

Not to mention the potentially dangerous precedent set by a hardware manufacturer purposefully limiting your component’s power.
That's not really accurate. In fact, all of Nvidia's consumer graphics cards already put artificial limits in place to greatly limit their performance in certain professional workloads, as a means of encouraging professionals to spend multiple times as much on their workstation and data center cards.

And while the higher-end cards didn't have such a limiter put in place, those could always be added for refreshed cards, like if they were to decide to launch a new "SUPER" lineup later in the year, trading mining performance for a little more performance in other areas.