Nvidia Could Move Ahead With Ion 2 This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
We barely have any Ion laptops yet, let's see how those work out before jumping ahead to Ion 2. That said, I hope that the next version has DirectX 11 support.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
it's too bad that nVidia doesn't push back on making thier own CPU...that way they could make two different types of chip logic on one die. CPU and GPU. That's the way it seems to be going anyways. Just imagine if you could have an 800 core die that could handle either CPU or GPU instructions? That would be awesome!!!

I wonder if Google Chrome could make an OS that just ran on the GPU...maybe more like a RISC based OS like the Mac used to be with OS 9 in the power PC days?

That would put some serious pressure on Microshaft and Intel!!!

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
This is good news.
I think if nvidia and via can pair together, the via cpu's will only get better.
Once they start getting some revenue they can afford to do things like a die shrink or new design.
This could open other avenues also, since both companies are paying intel royalties for the bus ... they could work together and move away from that situation.

G

I personally see no benefit in DX11 support for Atom powered devices!
Their CPU's are only good enough to run DX9 games.
Also the Via chips are not better than the Atom for office tasks, because they are (at the moment) single core/single thread cpu's.
They always will give a certain lag on the desktop experience compared to a multi core/thread CPU, even if they are faster on more advanced tasks like compression or other benchmarks.

That's probably the reason why the Atom is the only chip found to today that has survived the netbook war! Via has an x86 instruction set, and thus could run Windows, but I guess their performance/watt ratio might be low.

G

I simply dont understand the point of ion.(dont mark me down just yet)
Hi def playback? On those tiny screens with no optical drive and 80gb of memory? Tv output should be okay but at the price of ion laptops a standalone blu ray player with media storage might be better ( perhaps even a ps3!). Of course the increased responsiveness is good but do 50 year old grandmothers need that? Do kids playing spore need that?(no hard feelings i play it myself)If i was after portable gaming (cod,old nfs) i could buy a bigger laptop for slightly more.
just my 2 cents.Im surprised nvidias not aiming this at larger laptops or desktops where lots of people try to get things done with integrated graphics.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
As a netbook user I can completely understand Ion.

After having a netbook, I don't *want* a notebook. Pure and simple. It's too big now! The portability of my netbook is insane! I can't even imagine how I lugged around my previous laptop.

But having a chipset that's decent enough to run some games on low is nice. And Intel... Well, it just doesn't do it. Ion gives it a chance.

That being said, if/when I replace my netbook, I'm going AMD.

I don't know about that VIA nano being more powerful bit, but nVidia has to do something. Understandably they don't want to pair ION with AMD and compete with AMDs own netbook platform, so the nano would be the next best thing. With flash being accelerated on nVidia GPUs this could end up a good thing for nVidia and VIA.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]kansur0[/nom]it's too bad that nVidia doesn't push back on making thier own CPU...[/citation]

You seem to be forgetting that Intel and AMD do hold a lot of the x86 patents, even trying to make something that would run x86 code would probably result in a lawsuit.

*VIA I believe could create their processors because they are also in a licensing agreement with Intel and AMD(?).

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]kansur0[/nom]it's too bad that nVidia doesn't push back on making thier own CPU...that way they could make two different types of chip logic on one die. CPU and GPU. That's the way it seems to be going anyways. Just imagine if you could have an 800 core die that could handle either CPU or GPU instructions? That would be awesome!!!I wonder if Google Chrome could make an OS that just ran on the GPU...maybe more like a RISC based OS like the Mac used to be with OS 9 in the power PC days?That would put some serious pressure on Microsoft and Intel!!![/citation]
Actually, the tegra contains an arm cpu and a gpu on one chip. It is not x86 so it cannot run windows.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]rjkucia, you brought an important point of Directx11 support.This is actually a great idea![/citation]
DX11? really come on...

its a freakin netbook, what would you possibley run with DX11?!
oh i know, Crysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.