nVidia crashing problem

Paradox_1

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
Ok, I know this was asked a lot, but I tried many solutions and none worked, so I hope someone will be able to help me.

I bought a Dell XPS l502x laptop for gaming like 4-5 years ago and it came with nVidia GeForce GT 540M. On the day I bought it and after I went home, I started a game and the windows just shutdown by itself after 3-5 minutes, I called the people who sold me the laptop, and they told me to change to the Intel graphics driver. The games worked fine and I thought the problem solved (I had no idea that this was a real problem back then). Unfortunately, 3 years later, I realized that this was actually an issue, for that when I try to play a game that is relatively intense the intel driver simply fails to run the game, and switching to the nVidia driver causes it to crash showing the "Kernel Driver became unresponsive and recovered".
Also, the CPU temperature during gaming reaches 80C max and 50C idle.

As I said, I tried many things, including:
-Updating the nVidia drivers.
-Uninstalling and reinstalling the nVidia drivers.
-Using MSI Afterburner to "Underclock" the driver, which improves things a bit, but not that much (like the game runs for 15-20 minutes now).
- Changing a few of the sittings in the nVidia control panel (like changing to "maximum performace" and such).

This problem occurs with almost all 3D games ranging form older games like Legacy Of Kain: Defiance (a 2004 game), to newer games like Skyrim or Dragon age: Inquisition. I would love to buy a new graphics card, however I can't really afford one right now.

My Specs:
Dell XPs L502X 64-bit
Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz
8GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GT 540M

Any help is really appreciated and thanks in advance.

Paradox_1

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
I used DDU and installed the latest nVidia drivers. This seems to make the problem a little bit better, however, it still occurs; the time it takes before it crashes is longer now. I thank you very much for your help, but it seems that eventually I am going to send it to be fixed.

Thanks again for your help.