Nvidia Custom-Made the 320M IGP for Apple

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't have a problem with Apple computers it's just not for gamers. Call me shallow but I am a PC gamer. I think the last game I would actually play that was released on a Mac was Bioshock 1 and before that Call of Duty 4. Why is that?

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Nehalem-based Core iCPUs are more expensive and require DDR3 plus less energy efficient than C2D while only be marginally faster as far as laptops are concerned Apple made a smart decision to me.

G

nothing touch apple in their product design but specs, upgradbility and components quality makes me stay far far away for them.

G

I have got a 15" MBP and I hate it. I got it on my job (No windows based alternatives given due to IT-guy being a total Macfanatic), and it is supbar considering it's price for everything. I got it in March 2010 and it has got some Core 2 duo around 2,5 Ghz (Yeah right how old is Core 2 duo...) and some even worse integrated graphics (Gt8xxx based) that can hardly play World of Warcraft. I admit the keyboard is Ok and the screen is good, but at that price you would expect to get 2010 hardware, not 2007 hardware.
/Teacher in Sweden

TimeWarrior

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
since when were macs for games? if you want to play games well, why even look at a laptop? for the same money you could get a sweet desktop and be semi future proof as you can upgrade its parts. if you don't want a mac - don't buy one. i built a windows desktop for games. i needed a portable, robust laptop for work that had to be reliable (i.e. wouldn't fall apart in just over a year like my hp dv2000) so I bought a 12 inch G4 powerbook. 5 years old and it had a ceiling leak all over it and its still going strong.

G

You know, I've been a pc guy for about 20 years now, I build, use and program in windows based systems, stuff like that. I've always been focused on the best bang for buck, which always led me to hate apple and their overpriced philosophies, Until now. I've been in the market for a small, light, long lasting laptop for sometime and I finally realized, at this point in time, nothing even comes close to the quality of a 13" MacBook Pro for the same price. Now I can go out and get an acer, dell (anatel) or HP core i5 for under a $1000, but what else am i getting? cheap components everywhere else! Lame TN-panel based LED screen, low battery life, low battery quality, cheap power supply, plastic "bendy" exterior, no optical drive (in some), tiny 2 inch track pads, intel graphics, bulky thickness, heavy weight and full of bloat ware! And above all, all that extra bit of computational performance means nothing if you have to run a bulky antivirus software in the background.
Now, this is purely based on the laptop arena, PC's are still the best home base solution.
I like to think of pc based laptops as GM and MacBook as BMW. Sure GM is cheaper, but BMW is well, BMW.
MBP have a Slick beautiful OS (unix based), one-piece aluminium body, push load optical drive (no ugly tray), huge 5 inch true multitouch (4+ touch points) capacitive touchpad (you have to try this thing), backlit keys (the $2000 sony has this), beautiful LCD screen (LED, and very colour rich). Sure a similarly spec'd machine is about $400 less in pc form, but considering the performance price you pay for AV software and depreciation (mbp @ 15%/year, PC @ 40%/year), the fact that you can now install and run windows/ubuntu/whatever, and the sheer basic quality of the units, I was finally sold on it.

Now if all you wanted was to play games on a portable computer, fine, you'll get your 2 hour fix before your have to plug it in... whatever. Frankly, I don't see the purpose of playing games on laptops, save your money and build a kick ass regular PC for much less!

Status
Not open for further replies.