Nvidia Debuts GK110-based 7.1 Billion Transistor Super GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
2880 cores? Booya! Last rumored specs I saw were 2304 cores. Hope to see the gaming version of this card...even if it's just to drool over and never buy.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]BTW where is the fan for that thing? Is the reference board water cooled?[/citation]

These things would be sitting in clusters with powerful push/pull fans in the casing. It's not meant to be a standalone card in a PC.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]BTW where is the fan for that thing? Is the reference board water cooled?[/citation]

Bill Dally is a pretty smart cookie... I think they will put fans on it heh heh heh.

This will make a prime Xmas Gift... being released in Q4.. Anyone feel free to buy me one hahahah.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Combat Wombat[/nom]Bill Dally is a pretty smart cookie... I think they will put fans on it heh heh heh.This will make a prime Xmas Gift... being released in Q4.. Anyone feel free to buy me one hahahah.[/citation]

You guys are aware this $2000+ card would not play any of your games at all, right? Nor would it even work in a PC. I'd buy you one if you gave me 4000 dollars though :p

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]You guys are aware this $2000+ card would not play any of your games at all, right? Nor would it even work in a PC. I'd buy you one if you gave me 4000 dollars though[/citation]
It's more the bragging rights more than anything.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]Very impressive numbers.So if the 690 runs at $1000, what on earth will the pricetag for this be (and yield)?[/citation]

The Tesla card will no doubt be several thousand dollars. So far there is no word if there will be a more affordable gaming version yet. If there is I would expect it to be almost $1000.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]If it will help oil companies, its a bad thing.[/citation]

Oil is everywhere in our lives.. From fuel, to paints, to cosmetics, clothing, skin treatments, lubrication, waxes, asphalt, sulfur.. Not to mention the many practical purposes for petrochemicals..

Our very livelihood depends on oil...

vestibule

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Combat Wombat[/nom]It's more the bragging rights more than anything.[/citation]

Even for that reason, it wouldn't make any sense. It has 2880 cores, the GTX 690 has 3072 cores...

There's a reason people don't get workstation cards meant for professional use to use as a gaming card lol, this is not any different. I wouldn't be surprised to see the GTX 690 outdo it in gaming, even if just by a little.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
It is likely to have a Desktop Gaming card with the compute unit disabled. I dont see a reason for Nvidia NOT to launch a Gaming GK110 card. We will see GK110 coming out @ GTX770/780 series, while the GTX680 will likely to have change of shorter reference design like GTX670 and rebrand as GTX760 Ti. Typical Nvidia style.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]It is likely to have a Desktop Gaming card with the compute unit disabled. I dont see a reason for Nvidia NOT to launch a Gaming GK110 card. We will see GK110 coming out @ GTX770/780 series, while the GTX680 will likely to have change of shorter reference design like GTX670 and rebrand as GTX760 Ti. Typical Nvidia style.[/citation]
If the rumors are true, it's TDP is 300watts.....which would go against nVidia's "performance per watt" claims..... It would in fact be the single most power hungry consumer graphics card ever produced. Due to the complexity of the processor, it's likely to be more expensive to produce a graphics card than what it cost to produce GTX690....

[citation][nom]vestibule[/nom]Even for that reason, it wouldn't make any sense. It has 2880 cores, the GTX 690 has 3072 cores...There's a reason people don't get workstation cards meant for professional use to use as a gaming card lol, this is not any different. I wouldn't be surprised to see the GTX 690 outdo it in gaming, even if just by a little.[/citation]
Tesla isn't a workstation card... It's a compute card. It doesn't do graphics.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Hopefully tomshardware can benchmark that card.

I want to see how well it can work as a physx card, or provide hardware acceleration for CUDA capable video editors such as adobe premiere pro

PS tomshardware, if you get the chance, it would be interesting if you can benchmark the GTX 690 with quake 1 :)

G

You notice the lack of fan but completely miss the lack of video outputs!!!

We all want to get excited but go look at previous tesla cards to know this ain't going in your desktop pc

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
But can it play Bayonetta??? Hehe. My XBOX360 is still cheaper and more entertaining.

Really don't see need to upgrade GPU. My GTX460 still can play anything i throw at it decently...then again, PC games bores me most of the time.

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]It is likely to have a Desktop Gaming card with the compute unit disabled. I dont see a reason for Nvidia NOT to launch a Gaming GK110 card. We will see GK110 coming out @ GTX770/780 series, while the GTX680 will likely to have change of shorter reference design like GTX670 and rebrand as GTX760 Ti. Typical Nvidia style.[/citation]

AMD does re-brands too and the every core in the GK110 is a compute oriented core designed for supreme DP performance. Theoretically, Nvidia could use the firmware/video BIOS to limit the DP performance, but that's not the same thing as what you said. Also, Nvidia doesn't re-brand high end cards.

[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]If the rumors are true, it's TDP is 300watts.....which would go against nVidia's "performance per watt" claims..... It would in fact be the single most power hungry consumer graphics card ever produced. Due to the complexity of the processor, it's likely to be more expensive to produce a graphics card than what it cost to produce GTX690....Tesla isn't a workstation card... It's a compute card. It doesn't do graphics.[/citation]

Wrong, that would not destroy Nvidia's performance per watt claims because it would have huge performance per watt. If AMD were to release a 500w graphics card that has ten times more performance than the Radeon 7970, then it has more performance per watt than the 7970 does despite it using more power. For example, the GTX 690 is a 300w card, but it's probably one of the most power efficient graphics cards ever despite it having high power consumption. Also, 300w is not the most power hungry graphics card ever. The GTX 590 and the Radeon 6990 both have higher than 300w TDPs and beyond that, TDP does not translate directly into power usage anyway. Actual power usage is usually well under the TDP. For example, the Radeon 7970 has a TDP of 250w, but it usually doesn't go far over 190w to 200w during game play.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]If the rumors are true, it's TDP is 300watts.....which would go against nVidia's "performance per watt" claims..... It would in fact be the single most power hungry consumer graphics card ever produced.[/citation]
Even if that rumor is true, how does knowing just the TDP go against Nvidia's performance per W claims?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bardacuda[/nom]The Tesla card will no doubt be several thousand dollars. So far there is no word if there will be a more affordable gaming version yet. If there is I would expect it to be almost $1000.[/citation]

I pity idiots that buy GPUs meant for workstation tasks such as number crunching or ultra-AutoCAD for just gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.