Nvidia: DirectX 11 Won't Define GPU Sales

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What more is there to say? CS and DX11 bring everything nVidia is talking about, yet it isnt going to be any good, or good enough?
It took along time for the Jerk to find out what his special purpose was for, it may take nVidia even longer, lets just hope by the time they find their special purpose, the reasons for needing it havnt fallen off by then heheh

aungee

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I suppose AMD is pushing for a open standard physics engine as well aka OpenCL Bullet. Not looking good for Nvidia. See here

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Isn't the majority of GPU sales market were gamers? But they prefer to say that performance in games isn't the defining force behind GPU sales. To whom do they plan to sell their graphics cards then? It's just a pretty lame excuse.

G

Sorry to disappoint you all, but OpenCL works on nVidia (actually nvidia demonstrated the first OpenCL demo ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1sN1ELJfNo). nVidia GT300 (the next gen. nVidia chip) will be DX11 and CUDA won't die because OpenCL is an API, CUDA is an architecture (and an API) and OpenCL applications will work great on the back of CUDA. I guess nVidia put enormous marketing on the GPGPU stuff because the upcoming GT300 will be extreme in that area, it is the first MIMD GPU ever (cGPU actually), so it will be at least comparable (if not better) with ATI in usual graphics stuff and it will kill it in GPGPU applications. ATI has DX11 so talking about DX11 isn't really an effective way to show nVidia's advantage over ATI, talking about GPGPU applications is. So if you buy an nVidia you will have everything ATI offers you and a little (or a lot more).

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Vulcan, you are 100% correct, but the issue here is not factual, it's perceptive. nVidia should not be making statements that disregard, or at least disrespect their greatest shareholders - the gamers who buy their graphic cards! Consumers have a weird way of responding to such corporate statements, because when it smells rotten, looks rotten and sounds rotten, it's rotten! There could have been a much more effective, responsible and respectful way of communicating their refocused targeting strategy. They clearly made a mistake this time.

OK, heres the problem with all this gpgpu stuff.
You have to pay for it, even if youre never going to use it.
And therell be higher profit off of it as well, since nVidia is trying to obviousy make it proprietary, as they are the self proclaimed leader here.
So, pony up those greenbacks for a gpu that a company makes thats mainly for gpgpu and not so much for gaming, and it wont come cheap

randomizer

Champion
"framerate and resolution are nice, but today they are very high and going from 120fps to 125fps is not going to fundamentally change end-user experience."

I don't have 120FPS at high resolutions. Care to share what non-Source game gets that regularly on affordable hardware?

lire210

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
i got to say i am loving amd more every day i bought stock when they where down almost a 100% prof and now they are just pushing nvda into a wall will we see a reburth of the old amd vs intel and i think with the graphics clearly under amds belt intel will have to step it up or step their prices way down i am so happy. but i do get a little fanboyish.

alterecho

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Not to mention their laptop graphic cards. their 9800m gs was actually
equivalent of desktop 9500gt. Atleast ATI used the same architecure for
their mobility Radeons as their desktop counterparts though at reduced
clock speeds to control temperature.
You'll see my point when you see that mobility radeon 4650 competes with
9800m gs but at just half the price. Radeon 4650 was supposed to compete
against 9500gt.
I'm not any company's fanboy. Just like people to be aware of whats
actually happening.

jdog2076

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]I mourned the loss of 3dfx but I won't mourn the loss of Nvidia if they disappear.Go ATI !. Looking forward to the Radeon 5800 cards[/citation]

Losing Nvidia would most certainly be something to be upset about. Competition in the industry is what makes things good for the consumer.

presidenteody

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I am glad ati-amd is rising out of the ashes, i am a huge intel/amd fanboy and have just upgraded all my systems and my friends systems to the 4xxx cards because they kick A$$. I was getting worried amd would call for some sort of bailout and it would end up like another failed subsidy. There products are good but intel has the better commercials and PR.

presidenteody

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
YEA THATS RIGHT I ROUT FOR BOTH TEAMS! THEY BOTH MAKE GOOD STUFF, JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT, intel makes good chips but not so great NB or SB compared to AMD in my option, except maybe p55 x58 because they are a tab expensive, but if you got the mulaahaaa then you should burn it!!!

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]My bet is that AMD buys nVidia if they go far enough down. Then AMD can claim gaming.[/citation]
you do know how awful that will be right? AMD will have free reign on the graphics market. raise the prices as high as they want..

nvidia (or some other company) must be able to balance the market or we will have to result to a $500 radeon HD 5670....

G

And what about the people running Nforce?? quess were left out in the wind to buy a new motherboard with our new 5890 X2 LOL "boy will that look nice"

R.I.P. Nvidia........

becton226

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
^
|

[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]I mourned the loss of 3dfx but I won't mourn the loss of Nvidia if they disappear.Go ATI !. Looking forward to the Radeon 5800 cards[/citation]

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I don't think Nvidia is down for the count yet.
I doubt they've been sitting on their asses this whole time that ATI has been developing the 5xxx series... let's just wait and see.

tiredwolf

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I really like the cards both companies make, i juts wish ATI had better linux support. Nvidia linux support is top notch.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Seems to me that a lot of people in here are ATi fanboys :p
I use both manufacturers in my PCs and I guess that means i am not exclusive. Same on the CPU front.

With that said, I wouldn't dismiss nVidia just yet, because nobody knows exactly what they have up their sleeve. Besides, an AMD only graphics front would really suck, performance and price-wise. Nothing good ever came from monopoly.

As for CUDA, I agree, it is proprietary, which sucks. But as far as I remember, ATi did try to run the same path with Stream. And, let's face it, Stream was never as successful as CUDA. That's why they needed a better approach - hence Open CL - and it makes complete sense if they want mass adoption for their hardware.

The way I see it, the ball is in nVidia's court now... i just hope they wake up in time, because they are at a crossroads here, facing the kind of decision that can make or break a company.

Here's to healthy competition!

Status
Not open for further replies.