Nvidia: DirectX 11 Won't Define GPU Sales

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So lets see if we all have this straight:

nVidia thinks that GPGPU operations will be a larger driving force than games in graphics cards. GPGPUs tend to benefit from more SP (Shader Pixels). ATIs 4870 has 800 (EVen a GTX295 with two GPUs has only a bit over half of that) and the 5870 will have 1600......

If I was to take a guess I would think that nVidia is just scared out of their pants. I mean if ATI starts to push more GPGPU friendly drivers and apps they will slaughter nVidia in that market and I am sure that in gaming being the first DX11 card will get them a nice amount of sales early and before nvidia can push thier own DX11 card out. Only those loyal to nvidia will wait and possibly pay more.

Gotta love nVidia. When they are scared they talk trash and act untouchable. Will be sweet when they fall hard.

FSC

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I rember the distant time(2yrs ago:p) when ATI used to be ATI and nVidia was nVidia. At that time nVidia drivers were pure superiority. Their GPUs were fast, swift and cool. And ATI... was a laugh.

While nVidia was sitting on a pile of money smoking victory sigarette laughing at ATI, happened something no one expected. The badly beaten ATI became AMD. Radeons became more powerful, affordable and the Radeon drivers beat nVidias current drivers 100-nil.

Nowadays nVidia is ATI and AMD is former nVidia making affordable high powerd qualiy products.

What I just said is a bit worrying... for nVidia as I used to be dedicated nVidia user. Before: GF4 Ti4200, 5200 FX , 6800 GT, 7900GT, 8800 GTS and never even looked at Radeons. Now: I have lately bought two Radeon HD 4890 and I didn't even consider nVidia products pissed off by their high price tag and lousy divers. And the worst of all... for nVidia is that I am very happy with the Radeons.

Continuing things like this could be fatal for nVidia, though I really can't see nVidia disappear anytime soon so no RIP for nVidia. Just consider how long Intel's been kicking AMD and still AMD can proudly shout out loud “I’M STILL STANDING”!!!!!

+++AMD
+++PC Gaming
---GPGPU(we have CPUs, right?)
---nVidia
+Picture
-Guy in the picture

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Oh wait, after a second thought, if there's so much ignorants out there, maybe DirectX 11 will after all drive GPU sales for the gaming market.

There were a bunch of suckers who jumped into the DirectX10-Vista scam after all. And this kind of morons aren't the type to learn lessons from past mistakes, they just keep repeating it. Feed them with your money, for what it's worth anyway.

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]nachowarrior[/nom]so you work for n\/idia or did they just pay you to troll?[/citation]

fanboi I might say? Neutral people won't get that angry easily

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]No, I just work for common sense Bozo. And we ain't selling anything, either you have it, or you don't. Obviously, you don't.[/citation]

Can you tell common sense company not to stop game makers from using DirectX 11 this time

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]q_nanotubes[/nom]fanboi I might say? Neutral people won't get that angry easily[/citation]

Does some of you actually have arguments, or all you've got to spit out of your trash-mashers are words such as "Fanboy" which in itself doesn't have any common sense either. The very existence of Fanboyism shows how stupid humanity is. This may seems like angry talk, but it ain't, I'm actually laughing out loud as I am writing this.

q_nanotubes

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]Does some of you actually have arguments, or all you've got to spit out of your trash-mashers are words such as "Fanboy" which in itself doesn't have any common sense either. The very existence of Fanboyism shows how stupid humanity is. This may seems like angry talk, but it ain't, I'm actually laughing out loud as I am writing this.[/citation]

this is the funniest..."some of you" but quoting me...yes we are laughing

FSC

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]q_nanotubes[/nom]this is the funniest..."some of you" but quoting me...yes we are laughing[citation][nom]q_nanotubes[/nom]this is the funniest..."some of you" but quoting me...yes we are laughing[/citation]

Yep at least I am laughing with q_nanotubes.

This n3ard3ath guy shows only his lack of understanding by saying that "Fanboyism shows how stupid humanity is". It is very true that most of the FANATIC fanboys are quite, shall we say, simple people. But to be honest all of us(people) are fanboys at some level. Usually it shows up by strongly supporting and recommending certain things.

I am a fanboy of good products. That is why I used to buy and recommend only nVidia products as I found ATI products to be kinda junkish.

Today I found that AMD Radeons are better than nVidia’s products so count it one fanboy for AMD.

All I try to say:
being fanboy =good/natural
Being blind and fanatic fanboy = BAAAAAAD
(This has nothing to do with the article, but so dosent n3ard3ath's comments.)

Dispite the improvments that DX11 or GPGPU/CUDA will or will not bring the fact is that Radeons are damn good nowadays and the new 5800-series sounds very very promising. By admitting that does not make us fanatic fanboys, right?

Besides by defending nVidia so fanaticly and insulting them who say anything against nVidia I'd say you,n3ard3ath, are the biggest fanboy and most fanatic here.

n3ard3ath, If you want to comment could you please comment less hatefully. It seems you are just trash-talking to provoke anger. NOT NICE :(

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Oh give me a break. Of course NVIDIA will make a DX 11 card. A newer version of DirectX is not going to make your system run that much better than a DirectX 10 card. Why? It's not fully developed because it just came out! Give it time, NVIDIA is just waiting for the right time to release one. Smart business move. Don't waste money on something that won't work. ATI has been in the toilet since it merged with AMD and NVIDIA has the market.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
This is what was actually said
“DirectX 11 by itself is not going be the defining reason to buy a new GPU. It will be one of the reasons. This is why Microsoft is in work with the industry to allow more freedom and more creativity in how you build content, which is always good, and the new features in DirectX 11 are going to allow people to do that. But that no longer is the only reason, we believe, consumers would want to invest in a GPU,” said Mike Hara, vice president of investor relations at Nvidia, at Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference on Wednesday."
Note he said one of the reasons.

ChuvelxD

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
You ATI fanboys are so crazy. lol

NVidia isn't going anywhere. DX11 is nothing to be hyping, who's coding for DX11? The tech has outpaced the coding. This is so stupid.

buffdaddysmurf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Didn’t realize this forum was an ATI Fanboy site. My god people, we need both companies to keep the competition going and provide more choices for us. NVidia isn't going anywhere you retards nor is ATI (even though everyone said goodbye ATI two years ago when they opted out of the high end GPU market). Both companies will be around forever unless one buys the other so stop the fanboy crap and justification of your card purchase. Be happy with what you have and move on. I love both companies and hope they continue to push each other.

surrept420

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Thank you Chuvel. Not to mention the horrendous driver support that ATI has to offer.

Silly kids. Nvidia isn't going anywhere.

thomasjm52

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Can someone tell me where in this article it says NVidia does not have a dx 11 card? You idiots really think nvidia is goin out of buisness cause you havent heard a dx 11 card? There just putting their eggs in multiple baskets for example TEGRA. Come out of ur parents basement, get a girlfriend, and get up to date on ur information. You just worry about ati getting their drivers to work with their cards then u can talk smack.

G

You ATI fanboys are so crazy. lol

NVidia isn't going anywhere. DX11 is nothing to be hyping, who's coding for DX11? The tech has outpaced the coding. This is so stupid.

* DiRT 2 : Direct X 11 support Confirmed
* S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat : Direct X 11 support Confirmed
* Aliens vs Predator : Direct X 11 support Confirmed
* Batteforge : Direct X 11 support Confirmed
* CRYSIS 2 : Not Confirmed, but the CryENGINE 3 supports DirectX 11

http://www.techlivez.com/2009/09/list-of-directx-11-games-for-windows-7-and-windows-vista/

[citation][nom]asjflask[/nom]Oh give me a break. Of course NVIDIA will make a DX 11 card. A newer version of DirectX is not going to make your system run that much better than a DirectX 10 card. Why? It's not fully developed because it just came out! Give it time, NVIDIA is just waiting for the right time to release one. Smart business move. Don't waste money on something that won't work. ATI has been in the toilet since it merged with AMD and NVIDIA has the market.[/citation]

It was true with their HD3xxx series, but not their HD4xxx series. Right now ATI got the best GPUs and they are really cheaper.

You can get 2 4850 OC for as little as 90$ each for a configuration 11% slower than 2 4870.

If you compare, the 260GTX Superclock is 200$, something is wrong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.