Nvidia: DirectX 11 Won't Define GPU Sales

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superbad

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Well, they won't dissapear. ATI or NVIDIA are here to stay, just these days, NVIDIA made a stupid statement. They'll do DX11 cards soon, but, till then, NVIDIA cards will be competitive. They just lacked behind for a while, which is normal. This is competition and we all need it and even ATI and NVIDIA need each other, more than many of us need an GTX295 or an HD5800 card ! Be sure of that.
Probably, at some point in time, Intel will be competitive in gaming, slowly and S# will have a comeback, slowly, like a shy underdog. They'll make their money from cheap laptops and all sorts of mobile devices and yes, there will be a big fight. There are a lot of money, and maybe NVIDIA tries to say that GAMING, is no longer the only driving force behind GPU's. Now there are the mobile devices also and is true. More laptops and fancy cell phones and consoles, combined, are sold, than gaming graphic cards.
I guess that's what they try to say, not that they'll stop developing gaming cards. No one says that and as you can see, their GPU's are still strong in all fields as they will be in the future. So, no need to worry, better be glad cause there is competition and there is ATI and NVIDIA on the market who make excelent graphic cards.

Davz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
[citation][nom]buffdaddysmurf[/nom]Didn’t realize this forum was an ATI Fanboy site. My god people, we need both companies to keep the competition going and provide more choices for us. NVidia isn't going anywhere you retards nor is ATI (even though everyone said goodbye ATI two years ago when they opted out of the high end GPU market). Both companies will be around forever unless one buys the other so stop the fanboy crap and justification of your card purchase. Be happy with what you have and move on. I love both companies and hope they continue to push each other.[/citation]
I wouldn't say I love both companies. I have equal disdain for both. But you have to admit nVidia's comments sounds like "yeah, we're getting our butt kicked, but this fight isn't important" or "Yeah, you've won the Gamers this round, ATI, but they don't matter."
It's the way his whole speech comes off. I bet he's regretting his choice of words right now. They would have been better off not mentioning DX11 instead of trying to dismiss it like that.

mac00789

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
YOU GUY'S THINK THAT NVIDIA IS LACKING BACK...HAHHAHA
THAT'S NOT TRUE B'CAUSE WHEN THE TIME COME I THINK NVIDIA WILL LAUNCH THERE DIRECTX 11 CARDS SAME TIME ATI WILL IN THE MARKET FOR ALL GAMERS THAT WOULD BE GOOD AT PRICE AND PERFORMANCE...SO WAITING UNTIL DECEMBER 2009 AND JANUARY 2010 ...
ALL THERE EXITING CARD I.E. 200 SERIES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH DIRECTX 11 AND WILL BE FUTURE...
AT LAST I WILL WAIT FOR NVIDIA'S DIRECT X 11 AND THEN SEE THE DIFFERENCE ...

Davz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
[citation][nom]mac00789[/nom]YOU GUY'S THINK THAT NVIDIA IS LACKING BACK...HAHHAHATHAT'S NOT TRUE B'CAUSE WHEN THE TIME COME I THINK NVIDIA WILL LAUNCH THERE DIRECTX 11 CARDS SAME TIME ATI WILL IN THE MARKET FOR ALL GAMERS THAT WOULD BE GOOD AT PRICE AND PERFORMANCE...SO WAITING UNTIL DECEMBER 2009 AND JANUARY 2010 ...ALL THERE EXITING CARD I.E. 200 SERIES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH DIRECTX 11 AND WILL BE FUTURE...AT LAST I WILL WAIT FOR NVIDIA'S DIRECT X 11 AND THEN SEE THE DIFFERENCE ...[/citation]
Once more, in English, please.
Oh, and "caps lock" is NOT cruise control for cool.
Please see link:
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/5/15may27-caps-lock.jpg

G

I concern more about GPGPU since I do a lot of video\photo editing with my PC. I think CUDA on a humble Geforce card could be a better solution rather than having a quadro

DirectX 11? If it's only for games then u're wasting your time coz I'm not buying:)

G

I hate Nvidia as a former user of their graphics cards, I found they have nothing worth using. Overclocked GPU, shit ram, useless drivers need I say more?

As a 3d artist, I went with ATI their far more advanced technology and superior driver support is nonparallel. I own both a workstation graphics and gaming card, my ati 4650 with 1g ram beats the shit out of my long lost Ge-force 9800 junk. This card the 4650 is not even considered mid range, so imagine that, not even an HD graphics. It out performs 9800gt technology, where are you hiding Nvidia?

anachronite

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
have always been an NVidia customer, but as I am about to buy a new card I see now reason to go with the 295 1.8GB over the 5870 1gb. Nvidia might get a few more frame rates from their card at a similar price, but if they arent going to support DX11 theres no reason to buy a new NVidia card. Looks like I will be buying my first ATI card. wow

G

Pepsi vs Coke, Democrat vs Republican, ATI vs Nvidia, it's all the same story. When one is in the lead, the other talks trash. ATI just took the lead for a while where Nvidia had it for the last few years. Nvidia is just regrouping. It would not suprise me if they had something out at Christmas time that smokes all of ATI's cards. And by smokes, I mean 1 - 3 frames per second more than the top of the line ATI with all the crazy shenanigans running that make your video games super high res. I seriously don't see the point in paying out an extra couple hundred for 2 or 3 frames per sec. They should do a comparison and show how much money you spend per fps on each game with all the high res settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.