[SOLVED] Nvidia Directx Error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Mar 25, 2021
Hey, little preface, if any of you manage to fix this it would be insane, I assume offering rewards isn't allowed but eternal gratitude is all I can offer for a fix of this. At this point I'm guessing the GPU is completely bricked which really sucks as I don't have another and really can't afford to buy a new one. Been trying to fix this for almost 2 years now and is starting to get annoying seen as I have quite a high end system without being able to play most games.

Background:

I've had my 2060 for about 2 years now and had a problem for about a year of that time. The error is that my GPU doesn't allow me to play games with decent graphics released past like 2010. I always get the same DirectX Function error and have never been able to fix it. I have been able to play less demanding games but a lot of them crash. The games generally crash after about 20-30 mins of playing (Outside of menus). This is the error message that comes up (It's something very similar in other games). My temps sit stable at about 75 degrees C but I still crash.

Screenshot of crash:

View: https://imgur.com/zp11Kbb

Games I crash whilst playing:
-Red Dead Redemption 2
-Battlefield 1, 4 and 5
-CS:GO
-GTA V
-Insurgency Sandstorm
-Rainbow Six Siege
-PUBG

Games that I don't crash whilst playing:
-Minecraft
-Terraria
-Stardew Valley
-TF2
-Payday 2
-GMOD
-Rocket League
-Civilization V

Things I've tried to fix it:
-Buying new PSU
-Fresh installing drivers with DDU
-Searching up answers online
-Uninstalling unneeded software
-Cleaning GPU
-Refitting all fans in case
-Upgrading both RAM sticks
-Fresh Windows install

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. It really sucks to have a $400 GPU that doesn't run any good graphics game. I will be extremely grateful for anyone even attempting to help.

Specs:
RTX 2060
Ryzen 5 3600x
16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz
B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)
Corsair TX750M (750 Watt)

Screenshot at exact moment RDR2 crashed:
View: https://imgur.com/a/cZdJt5O

Solution
Things I would do:

1. Remove every piece of extra software you have in Windows (MSI Dragon Center or whatever the name is now, desktop stuff like the transparent taskbar thingy, everything!). All you need is Windows 10 up to date, drivers and nothing else (you can leave afterburner).
  2. Get into the BIOS and load the default/optimized settings + Save and Exit.
  3. Check that Windows is loading and working after this.
  4. If necessary, download the BIOS update/s for your mobo from MSI web page (seems the newest one is a Beta, skip that one for now). Be carefull to read and follow the instructions as you may need to do several upgrades (from you current version) before getting to the latest one (I think is 7C02v3B - 25may2021)...

Lutfij

Titan
Where did you source the installer for your OS and what version of Windows 10 are you working with? As of this writing, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? From the second screenshot, you're ram isn't running at DDR4-3200MHz, more like DDR4-2133MHz. Also, what app are you using to enable transparency? Might see if uninstalling that changes your experience. On a side note, why didn't you just RMA the card instead of dealing with it for 2 years...?

Mar 25, 2021
  1. Downloaded Windows 10 straight from Microsoft website
  2. Not sure what version but I assume the most recent as there are no updates to be done
  3. Apparently running SMBIOSBIOSVersion 3.70 according to CMD
  4. I forgot that is an old screenshot, I upgraded my RAM yesterday to 3600 because a lot of people thought that was the route of the problem on Linus forums but I guess it isn't as i'm still getting the same crashes. Current RAM runs at optimum.
  5. The app for transparent taskbar is "TranslucentTB" but I've had these crashes a lot longer than I've had that app installed so assuming it isn't that
  6. Didn't RMA because the crash was super inconsistent, sometimes it would go months without crashing then a single driver update would ruin it, wait a few weeks and it would go back to normal, I was about to return it when I saw that the warranty was out about 2 months back. Kind of unfortunate.

Tried to give as much info as possible, let me know if you need anything else

Things I would do:

1. Remove every piece of extra software you have in Windows (MSI Dragon Center or whatever the name is now, desktop stuff like the transparent taskbar thingy, everything!). All you need is Windows 10 up to date, drivers and nothing else (you can leave afterburner).
  2. Get into the BIOS and load the default/optimized settings + Save and Exit.
  3. Check that Windows is loading and working after this.
  4. If necessary, download the BIOS update/s for your mobo from MSI web page (seems the newest one is a Beta, skip that one for now). Be carefull to read and follow the instructions as you may need to do several upgrades (from you current version) before getting to the latest one (I think is 7C02v3B - 25may2021). Do not update just yet.
  5. Download the lastest AMD chipset drivers, for B450: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
  6. Uninstall any AMD chipset drivers using control panel, if you have any installed and restart the PC
  7. Install the lastest AMD chipset drivers and restart the PC.
  8. Now carefully update the BIOS (unless you already have the lastest version).
  9. After that make sure to enter the BIOS once again and load optimized / default setting s + Save and Exit one more time.
  10. Get back into Windows and try gaming. Make sure to use Afterburner OSD to check CPU and GPU temps. There are tons of videos explaining how to do this (Do not use more than one hardware monitor app at the time in your system).
  11. Just to be clear, remove every piece of software that is not necessary. Software evolve with time, Windows, drivers, games. You just need one app that is not up to date (or wont update anymore) to get issues. Specially apps that mess with how Windows should look.

12. If all of the above fail, then I would perform a clean install of Windows + games + browsers + antivirus + office + afterburner + 7zip + adobe reader and not much more. By now you should have BIOS up to date and newest chipset and gpu drivers from nvidia and AMD websites, Remember keep the system as clean as posible and try gaming again.

If that does not fix then I guess you may have some sort of hardware related issue.

If this steps fix the issue, then you can now get into the BIOS and enable XMP profile for the RAM. Its best to keep it disable when testing.

Cheers!

Solution