NVIDIA Display Linux Help

Sep 10, 2018
I'm using a Smart Tv curft and it dosnt work on my FX 1800 Quadro on linux But weird part is it will work when i use Windows I dont understand why it will work on windows and not with linux look if i use windows i have 1GB of ram and i installed 4GB and if i use linux i have 4Gb of ram to use so thats why i using Linux mint Does some one knows how to fix this i'm Looking for a solution and i'm trying already 2 weeks and still cannot find enything

Dave8671

Distinguished
I re-read your post. The ram issue is an odd one how many slots does your motherboard have and what version of windows are you using? Click the menu and than right click on computer and go to properties what does it states for ram under system? I would have said bad ram but if Linux Mint detects it all than its has to be something else.

What is the desktop brand and model? I will explain when you install new GPU in a Windows system it will uses a standard generic driver in most cases so you will be able to install the manufacture drivers.

The GPU issue

Linux does not have those drivers which are not opensource. They must be downloaded from NVIDIA website or a PPA sometimes. PPA is a maintained package by a maintainer for a driver or software. If you want to know more about PPA's search for it on the web. Those drivers do not always work and can cause issues. I do not tell users to download them for that reason. There is a opensource driver but it does not always work with every GPU. In fact AMD is rewriting their Linux drivers for AMD GPUs due to so many issues with the current newer GPU family. Older ones like 5570 worked fine with the opensource driver I used on my desktop in the passed.

There are some laptops like thinkpad T520 that have duel graphics cards which consist of Intel onboard GPU and a NVIDIA GPU. Windows has drivers to run each one for extra power than shut it down and switch. Linux does not have a driver like this and if a user needs the Nvidia to use this card Linux user must use bumblebee which will control the NVIDIA card to enable or disable it. But this software is buggy and I do not use it. I own a t520 and I have the Intel Integrated GPU as default.