News Nvidia Driver Bug Increases CPU Usage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
this is why I use nvcleaninstall. the only issue is sometimes (and it seems random) easy anti cheat gets angry and doesn't allow the game to run..

Other than that I rip as much out of that driver as possible.

Nvidia drivers have been problematic for me and a couple of games I play for sure. So much for having perfect drivers everyone loves to claim.

perfect my buns. there has been a bug for 11 months that caused dwp.exe (a required windows service) to use up to 99% of gpu resources and reserve 4 gigs of VRAM (with a leak so it kept using more) for 11 straight months.

People kept on blaming games for being unoptimized and bad ports or the drm for bad performance and crashing but the entire time it was the driver. they finally fixed it in like November and December then it came back the next month and was fixed again the next. Now this... Let's also not forget that their control panel hasnt changed in 20 years while AMD has an absolutely kick ass CP and doesn't require a login.

nVidia gets away with this crap because they are nVidia but AMD drivers are better than people think. where does everyone think fine wine effect came from?

it was amd taking gameworks code, replacing it in realtime with their own version of the effect...say HBAO+ and then doing that for every game they could and they had to do it on a game by game basis. on top of that AMD open sources everything they do so every dev can find tune it for their games or improve it and then roll that code back into the codebase for a everyone to use.

thats why amd's hair solution(Tres-fx?) looked significantly better than hairwork and also ran better not only on amd cards but any cards.

Last edited:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5450/kw/hotfix

GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 531.26
Updated 03/07/2023 11:36 AM
GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 531.26
GeForce hotfix display driver version 531.26 is based on our latest Game Ready Driver 531.18.

This hotfix addresses the following issues:
Higher CPU usage from NVIDIA Container might be observed after exiting a game [4007208]
[Notebook] Random bugcheck may be observed on certain laptops with GeForce GTX 10/MX250/350 series GPUs [4008527]

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
What is "game session telemetry", and why would anybody other than an advertiser want that data?
NVIDIA Game Session Telemetry is a feature in NVIDIA graphics cards that collects data on the performance of games running on a user's system. It monitors various metrics such as frame rates, graphics settings, and system configuration, and sends this data to NVIDIA servers for analysis.

The purpose of this telemetry data is to help NVIDIA improve the performance of their graphics cards and drivers. By analyzing the data from many different systems and games, NVIDIA can identify common performance issues and optimize their hardware and software accordingly.

It's important to note that NVIDIA Game Session Telemetry is an optional feature that can be enabled or disabled by the user. If you choose to enable it, the data collected is anonymous and does not contain any personal information.

Best Regards
BB

Reactions: Tac 25 and KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
You say bug, I hear malicious code
Is accusing Nvidia (and Intel, but never AMD, how weird/s) of being malicious in everything they do or don't do a hobby in these parts? Feels like it sometimes. Must be very fun. If you want to do it correctly, include AMD sometimes. Believe it or not, they are a billion dollar giant company, too, and they are all the same. Also, see what I quotes below.

NVIDIA Game Session Telemetry is a feature in NVIDIA graphics cards that collects data on the performance of games running on a user's system. It monitors various metrics such as frame rates, graphics settings, and system configuration, and sends this data to NVIDIA servers for analysis.

The purpose of this telemetry data is to help NVIDIA improve the performance of their graphics cards and drivers. By analyzing the data from many different systems and games, NVIDIA can identify common performance issues and optimize their hardware and software accordingly.

It's important to note that NVIDIA Game Session Telemetry is an optional feature that can be enabled or disabled by the user. If you choose to enable it, the data collected is anonymous and does not contain any personal information.

Best Regards
BB
Thank you for explaining what it does. That really clears up a couple things and doesn't sound too bad at all, especially being able to opt out.

Chefgoyar-D

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2016
the best part is I installed the update the day I got my pc back from the repair shop for replacing my fans 😂 I thought they had messed up the pasting or something turns out it was the damn update the whole time

Well I'm the type that updates immediately, would drive me nuts if i didn't, knowing new version was out and I was still on old version.
See how different we are.
I was running a 2 year old driver for a while, because every driver afterwards was massively hitting CPU performance in my main game at the time.
And during another time I was on an older driver as well, as there were crashes with newer one. (In both cases that got fixed later on)

I usually stay on a driver that I found to be stable and well performing until a new release is either necessary for a game I want to play, offers noticeable performance increase, or new features I want to use.
I basically update not because I can, but because I want to.