Nvidia Drivers Add Support for RTX 2060, G-Sync Compatible Monitors

Sep 3, 2018
Seems I lucked out. Just bought a an AGON AG241QX monitor yesterday, and already have a GSync option in nvidia control panel after driver update today. TBH never cared about GSync / Freesync, just having a high refresh rate makes tearing barely noticeable, but it's always nice to have options.

This is great news. I've grown tired of the $200-300 premium on the G-sync monitors. G-sync was great and worth the premium when G-sync was the only game in town and when freesync ranges were much tighter, but now that freesync monitor refresh ranges are so much greater than before, I may be going out to find a wide-format freesync option.

Does anyone know if there is any negative (published or otherwise) to running the Nvidia card with a freesync monitor?

I agree.

Yes there are still negatives to running Freesync (G-SYNC Compatible) on any video card (not just geforce). Minimum refresh rate compatibility for freesync is usually 40-48hz, and not all displays that come with FreeSync work well out of the box.

Where as with G-SYNC (now called G-SYNC Ultimate), the extra chip that the monitors have give them a much wider range for adaptive refresh to work like 1hz-maximum refresh rate. But it is more expensive.

However, I think the main problem with FreeSync is with testing. ALL G-SYNC (ultimate) panels go thru extensive testing to insure they are reliable. Where as Freesync displays are not required to run thru extensive tests which is where all the issues arise from.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Maintaining variable refresh rate below ~40-48 fps just requires LFC (low framerate compensation), which any freesync monitor that has max freesync limit >= 2.5x min freesync limit should support.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
When I change the volume while playing Shadow of Tomb Raider, the screen goes off for a moment, when it would display the volume OSD. Samsung CHG70 screen. I tried "enable for windowed and full screen" setting too. Otherwise it works well.

I thought that was a G-SYNC (Ultimate) only feature. Cool that it works with freesync panels too.

I don't get black screen like you do, but I just tried changing my volume (in windows where OSD shows up), in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it makes G-SYNC hiccup and sometimes not work for me.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
So i own a Acer XF251Q freesync monitor, and apparently i need a display port to use this new thing, would anyone know if i could use a display to hdmi port to get this to work? Or can it only be a display to display? I really want to use this new feature.