News Nvidia DSR and DLDSR tech can work on some DSC monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Can someone clarify so this idiot(me) understands why DSR and DLDSR are both NOT available on my Odyssey G8? DSC check, single display cable check. Is it a GPU bandwidth issue or DP1.4 limitation? Not that I would want to upscale to 8k but still.. I can't even duplicate screen with my 2k display, it simply fails to set them up even if set to the same resolution

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
A new report reveals that Nvidia's DSR and DLDSR downscaling technologies can work with DSC-enabled monitors, despite what Nvidia's support page says.

Nvidia DSR and DLDSR tech can work on some DSC monitors : Read more

Just an FYI this statement is incorrect. There are other shenanigans at work. I just sent back the Alienware AW3225QF 4K 240Hz QD OLED because not only did it not allow DSR, even when running at 60Hz mode, but it also prevented me from enabling DSR on my connected LG C1. Even if I tuned the Alienware off/disabled it in NVCP. I had to physically remove the cable from the monitor to get DSR back on the LG.

Even the DSR at 60Hz required tricking it by connecting the HDMI out on the RTX 4090 to a switch, and flipping it from the LG C1 to the Alienware. And even then, only after disabling DSC in the HDMI profile using CRU.

DSR is a total mess right now with DSC and the safest option appears to be a separate EDID that runs at lower refresh rate without DSC. Similar to how some monitors have an “overclock” refresh rate toggle in the OSD.

P.s. this issue existed even while confirming DSC was disabled from the monitor OSD which shows the current stream info including DSC if active. And that 60Hz mode I got DSR working on…I had to drop to 8-Bit 4:2:0 as well.

Nvidia needs to get their act together.

Edit: I should add that I’m aware that DSR seems to work on some displays. I’m not sure how or why. But wanted to inform you that this statement by Nvidia doesn’t cover all monitors and that there are more factors than the article suggests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.