News Nvidia Engineer's Vulkan Driver For Raspberry Pi Runs Quake III over 100 FPS at 720p

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wonder how much of it runs on the CPU cores.

In the Pi v4, anyhow, there's significantly more raw performance in them, than its GPU. I wouldn't be surprised if that was also true of the Pi 3.

Jun 18, 2020
Great news having a fully optimised low level OpenGL(vulkan) driver for an outdated hardware as Rpi 3. I'm buying online a Rpi 3B as we speak. I must test it out my fav game from id software, then rpi 3b will serve as a pi-hole server.

Jun 18, 2020
Back in 1998, my 3dfx voodoo video cards in SLI mode cost me $600 both, and still required a 2d video card to run($100). Yes, that's how much we paid to have nice accelerated graphics back in 1988-1999. BTW, that would be $1100 in today's money. Sadly, with the introduction of nvidia TNT($125) 1999 and TNT2 ultra($169) 2000 which had about 80% of a voodoo 2 performance in SLI mode, 3dfx company went to the drain. Soon after that TNT video cards were everywhere selling at only $80 Usd. I dislike nvidia for personal reasons and never bought a gaming video card from them in 21 years.

Reactions: bit_user

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
The more things change the more they stay the same. 20 year later we are back to Quake 3. Which begs the question, does all the expensive hardware, eye candy graphics, really make for a better game? Does better game play, game mechanics matter more?

No doubt that all that computational horsepower, billions spend in development, and billions more spent by people for the hardware is worth something, and has good application for things raning from AI to crypto farming. In the big picture do people like games more because of the eye candy or do they like it more because of the game play, game mechanics, all the non technological aspects?

It seems like even with all this fancy ray-tracing stuff, and really good graphics capability, in the last 5 years there has been no really compelling game to really justify all that hardware. Instead you get more stupid developers taking away even some thing simple like co-op play thru the story mode.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Back in 1998, my 3dfx voodoo video cards in SLI mode cost me $600 both, and still required a 2d video card to run($100). Yes, that's how much we paid to have nice accelerated graphics back in 1988-1999. BTW, that would be $1100 in today's money. Sadly, with the introduction of nvidia TNT($125) 1999 and TNT2 ultra($169) 2000 which had about 80% of a voodoo 2 performance in SLI mode, 3dfx company went to the drain. Soon after that TNT video cards were everywhere selling at only $80 Usd. I dislike nvidia for personal reasons and never bought a gaming video card from them in 21 years.
By the time Quake 3 was released in December of 1999, Voodoo 1 was over 3 years old and we had moved on to Voodoo3 earlier in the year which no longer supported SLI and didn't need an additional 2D card.

Jun 18, 2020
By the time Quake 3 was released in December of 1999, Voodoo 1 was over 3 years old and we had moved on to Voodoo3 earlier in the year which no longer supported SLI and didn't need an additional 2D card.
Voodoo 2 release date was february 1998, I bought mines in april 1998. Pretty Soon, AGP was introduced and that allow to have single 2D/3D video cards like Voodoo 3 3000 which I bought during summer of 1999(only 14 months after). PCI slot for video cards was already dying back in 1999-2000. Case in point, lifespan for video cards was very short due to implosion of new technologies during those years(dark ages of PC gaming). I remember back then, obsolescence would knock your door so quick that required a new PC build every 12 months, if you wanted to be able to play the latest game.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Voodoo 3 wasn't as big a jump over 2, as 2 was over 1. With Voodoo 2, 3Dfx literally doubled the performance of Voodoo 1 (more or less, depending on the use of multi-texturing).

According to this, Voodoo 2-SLI setups often beat Voodoo 3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo3

Looking at the specs of all the unreleased models, it's a real shame that 3Dfx sank. If they hadn't bought STB, maybe they would be the dominant GPU maker, today.

TRENDING THREADS