Nvidia: Expect x86 Processor in 2-3 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Too bad nVidia is small potatoes compared to Intel. Just like AMD is more or less. It gives them a tough job of getting enough research and development money and expertise to actually do the design of highly competitive parts. Intel has, up until this point, stayed out of the powerful graphics market, allowsing nVidia, and AMD's recently acquired GPU maker ATI to have the full lions share of discrete GPU market. With Larabee coming to market soon, nVidia see's Intel entering the high end discrete GPU market and in order to preserve it's market cap, will want to venture into new technology. Intel has pretty much reached market cap limits for chipsets and CPUs and is now moving into new technology for them, GPU's while seeming to back away from NAND FLASH for some reason.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]roofus[/nom]Let me guess..Will it be yet another way to recycle the G92? lol[/citation]
This cracked me up so much. I fell out of my chair.

G

Nforce chipests, GPU Technology, now X86 CPU's....... Yeah I'm on board for the next generation of greatness. Just as intel sells CPU's and boards with there own chipsets I see Nvidia doing the same thing ONLY better. AMD I hate to say is on life support so now is the time for Nvidia to step up and lead. Imagine a full gaming system nvidia CPU, GPU, Nforce Mobo, only thing missing is Nvidia memory. "The Award for most Kick Butt gaming system goes to Nvidia" lol.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]zahanffxi[/nom]Nforce chipests, GPU Technology, now X86 CPU's....... Yeah I'm on board for the next generation of greatness. Just as intel sells CPU's and boards with there own chipsets I see Nvidia doing the same thing ONLY better. AMD I hate to say is on life support so now is the time for Nvidia to step up and lead. Imagine a full gaming system nvidia CPU, GPU, Nforce Mobo, only thing missing is Nvidia memory. "The Award for most Kick Butt gaming system goes to Nvidia" lol.[/citation]
AMD has an increadibly strong server market and well performing grahpics market to keep it afloat until they can finish the catch-up. They have the Phenom II which is keeping up with intels latest, which is a testiment of how well they're doing in such hard times.

Nvidia will never lead the performance pack in x86, and it has a little to do with experience. The best they could possibly do would be to purchase via for their x86 liciense, and then apply their graphics and effeciency knowledge to the nano. But without that, every competitor they'll be up against has 20+ years of experience in the x86 market over them. Lol, and the "next generation of greatness" wont be with Nvidia.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]zahanffxi[/nom]Nforce chipests, GPU Technology, now X86 CPU's....... Yeah I'm on board for the next generation of greatness. Just as intel sells CPU's and boards with there own chipsets I see Nvidia doing the same thing ONLY better. AMD I hate to say is on life support so now is the time for Nvidia to step up and lead. Imagine a full gaming system nvidia CPU, GPU, Nforce Mobo, only thing missing is Nvidia memory. "The Award for most Kick Butt gaming system goes to Nvidia" lol.[/citation]
Fucking fan boys....

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
With Intel suing Nvidia over chipset licenses I doubt that would they would be able to make x86 cpu with out a license. The only reason AMD can produce x86 chips is from an agreement from way back, and I don't think Intel has to license x86 to anyone. But that could have anti-trust issues attached.

hchawk19

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
AMD can produce x86 chips because of an arbitration case where as a remedy for Intel's breach of a contract, the arbitrator granted AMD a perpetual, royalty-free license to x86 patents, as well as any technology patents belonging to Intel obtained through reverse engineering.

Anyone else making x86 technology must license it from Intel. Intel does not have to license to Nvidia if it does not want to do so.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
nVidia's chip designs are great, they do more process with lower clocks, so in netbook market, and mobile device market, nVidia's x86's could be great, and will be great, not a fanboy, this is technology, and economics and competition! they know they have to release a great product to be compete-able with other products in the market! wait and see!
[ remember, more product's competition, better prices and performance, better for us ]

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
[citation][nom]erikstarcher[/nom]With Intel suing Nvidia over chipset licenses I doubt that would they would be able to make x86 cpu with out a license. The only reason AMD can produce x86 chips is from an agreement from way back, and I don't think Intel has to license x86 to anyone. But that could have anti-trust issues attached.[/citation]

Nvidia can probably make x86 processors without violating Intel's x86 license because the patents on the 486 processor will expire this year. Intel Atom processors' design are very simple, very much like a pentium or a 486 processor, which is why Nvidia can make their own x86 processors based on the 486 processors without violating Intel's IP. They could've made a processor that integrate an x86 processor and the ION platform in one die and sell it for cheap.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Nvidia buying Via is on the edge of possibility. I am not sure that Nvidia has the capital to actually out right buy Via though. Would be their best bet though to enter into the cpu market.

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Nvidia should enter the CPU market because the CPU market is going to increase substantially in the future when many things like cars,TV's,robots etc are going to have a small CPU in them.

I hope they'll enter the high end segment also because more competition is needed there.

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
via should merge with nvidia. they could use a proper chipset maker and the capital to invest into new cpus and hopefully will allow the transfer of the x86 license

G

The license for the 486 runs up soon, so x86 shouldn't be hard. But SSE, SSE2, and all the way up are probably still out of Nvidia's reach, and that could hurt.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]roofus[/nom]Let me guess..Will it be yet another way to recycle the G92? lol[/citation]

After reading Angelini's article...this made me lol a little. :-D

1raflo

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009

LOL!!!! thumbs up!

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005

Awesome... just awesome.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Sorry..The G92 was the first thing that popped in my head. It's like a penny stuck to the pavement so to speak. I buy alot of Nvidia stuff but I cannot help but scoff at the prospect of them playing in the CPU arena. They need to take the advice they gave Intel and "stick to doing what you do well". I am sure they feel a new world coming with integrated graphics on the CPU core and dont want to miss the boat but their lazy, lack of innovation rebranding of stale products tells me they are NOT ready. They are losing the price/perf battle in what they do best which means they need to concentrate on fixing their house before adding on to it.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]wrack[/nom]Why not just aim for x64 processor? I mean in 2-3 years x86 will start to go down![/citation]
Because every x64 processor is really just an x86 processor with 64-bit extentions. The only real 64-bit processors come from IBM or intel's Itanium lineup (I could be missing one, dono). You can thank AMD for that massive screwup. If AMD hadnt rushed the gate on 64-bit support when it didnt matter one bit, we would likely have true 64-bit solutions atm.

So for now, and much of the forseeable future, x86 compatability will have to be a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.