Nvidia Explains Why It's Building Shield Family of Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
The only thing that surprises me about the tablet's specs is the low amount
of RAM. Somehow 2GB just doesn't seem like that much these days, but
then I'm not familiar with Android's typical footprint.

Personally I'm more interested in SLI Maxwell to drive a 4K TV...

Ian.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I am not sure about the tablet. I love the idea, but then pricing everything you need seems to push the price beyond what I would expect to pay. I dunno, but is it me that Nvidia pulled a BMW/Porsche on us by making you buy the cover separately when it seems like an almost must-have for this kind of device? I understand the thought process behind it, but that cover should be part of the base cost (I know not many other tablets do, but this is meant for hands free gaming - with the controller of course.)

Again, I don't know, just don't know (yet).

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I really want one that runs Windows so I can play all my Steam games. That or one that doubles as a phone, so I can just carry around 1 device.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
2GB in Windows is bad. 2GB in Linux (Android is Java ontop of Linux) is a lot. Memory management and thread processing in Linux is near the best in the industry. I have full production servers running for years and the "swap" file doesn't even exist because the memory is managed well.

What the ultimate android gaming tablet will be is one that can run full blown Battlefield x86 on android x86 tablets.

I like that they made a gaming tablet, since light gamers (like me) also do other stuff like web browsing and productivity, and the regular shield (with the built in gamepad) won't deliver good productivity.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I really want one that runs Windows so I can play all my Steam games. That or one that doubles as a phone, so I can just carry around 1 device.

It's not too far off. The Surface Pro is a good step in the right direction.. perhaps a bit big at 12" to be a phone too though, but we'll soon be seeing tablets with 1 teraflop or more of GPU power in the next year or so. The Tegra K1 has 300 gigaflops, which is surprisingly decent, but for PC level graphics we would want at least 1 teraflop. A mid-range GPU on a PC like the 660gtx, or R9 270 produce around 2 teraflops - which can render some pretty nice graphics at full HD resolutions.

Bif Turkle

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Ooo0h another tablet that plays Android games. Wow wonder what I do with the tablet I got that plays silly Meh Android apps now? Another device in an over crowded area for apps that are not really great games. Don't really see the point here.

Ian Mahaney

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I think people are overlooking that it is an 8" tablet. The only "high-end" android tablet equivalent in the 8" range with a full HD screen is the LG G Pad 8.3 which still only has a Snapdragon 600. I'd love to see some more high-end 8" tablets. I'm looking at you Google...

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I know this well, most of my systems are SGIs. ;)

Ian.

InvalidError

Titan

Google has the Nexus 7 from 2013 which was the king of sub-$300 tablets until the Shield Tablet came along.

I am surprised and somewhat sad the N7-2013 did not cause a flood of similarly-spec'd sub-$300 tablets in 2014 like the N7-2012 did. Hopefully the Shield Tablet will succeed where the N7-2013 failed.

As far as Google's tablet plans for 2014 go, many rumors have been floating around about the next Nexus tablet being a 8-9" device manufactured by HTC.

InvalidError

Titan

Excessive resolution on a 8" gaming tablet is just a waste of battery power on pixels most people have no time to dwell on.

You may bash the Shield for having "only 2GB RAM" but how many other sub-$300 tablets have 2GB RAM and a 1920x1200 display? As far as I know, the N7-2013 was the first and still only other option under a major brand.

It is pretty hard to blame a company for "not doing something" when they are actually breaking new ground by bringing unprecedented resolution and processing power at a given price point..

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Note they don't rule out shield rev2 here, as he says they serve different audiences (handheld for pure gamer). Also note your xbox360 pad already works (among others) buying this just gives longer life and a few special features. Much more palatable if they drop it to $40 or so eventually.

Also you come with your own stuff first while volumes are low. Ramping up is needed before something like Google's gamer tablet (coming NOV or so) can be announced. So while volume is low you do YOUR OWN tablet or handheld until yields etc get worked out. Tablets over 1920x1200 are stupid for anything under 13in (I'd probably say 17in, just too slow to do any gaming above this until 14nm/10nm most likely). This needs to be the standard for the next few years until chips can hack the res without choking and forcing devs to screw with every game massively to get them to work (IE turning off dozens of details etc making them nowhere near what they WANTED you to see).

NV didn't lose xbox1 or PS4, they bean counted it and decided it was a not so profitable deal and would distract from their core products to support them. IE drivers for AMD in phase3, retail 290x cards that wouldn't do their rated speed, etc etc. It also isn't making AMD tons of money either right? We have the first year of launch and AMD still losing money. NV was right and as such has better drivers (DX11 now beats all mantle games for 780ti vs. 290x - see toms article, 780ti wins BF4, Tomb Raider, Star Swarm now etc - Mantle who?), lower heat on their designs etc. I am glad they dodged the XBox1/Ps4 bullet.

Skipping consoles also allowed them to get 5yrs into android SOCS (experience) and gaming on android going (ecosystem to use your coming NVlink gpus etc on androidL w/64bit etc). Now that desktop discrete gpus are on a SOC, we will see their vision really ramp up and in the end have no need for WINTEL for a LOT of people (which is the whole point). NV's dream is to get android to the point where PC is today (just take an amped up SOC+discrete Pascal card etc and that is exactly what you have, a GREAT android gamer PC), and replace Haswell, Broadwell etc with Denver, r1, r2, r3 etc (whatever they keep calling their in house ARM64 cores from here out). All in a box with 16-32GB ram, huge HD/SSD, NVlink gpu (note the pcie part missing, NVlink replaces it), 500w psu etc etc...A PC box for all intents and purposes. Apps will follow as Cuda and serious cpu power gets over on android (you now have Cuda on android+Kepler, so one step at a time here, but getting pieces all together over time).

For anyone thinking K1 is having trouble selling, I'll remind you it was in EVERY google device at Google IO. The first 4 revs (T1-T4) were just trials to learn until you got desktop chips (and all experience, drivers, cuda, physx etc) into your soc for EASY game development across mobile/pc. I don't see a qcom/samsung answer to tegrazone, and qcom's gaming site is just replicating googleplay lists, not SPECIAL HD versions FOR snapdragons. Nothing optimized directly for them unlike TegraHD games. Some of you need to think LONGER term plans, not just today. The goal is to take a bite out of Intel's cpus, Kill DirectX and opt for OpenGL at some point and sell their own cpus+gpus into more markets for gamers. In order to grow revenue they need android as they already own 65% of pc gpu and 85% of workstation on PC. The android side comes without a windows lic, and cheaper SOCS vs. Intel $150-350 CPU's. More money can be made adding android gamers. 1.2Billion android devices sell yearly, vs. <20mil xbox1/ps4's combined. Even in the end of xbox360/ps3/wii you had ~300mil sold OVER 7-8 yrs and with most costing gamers $50-60 per game. More easy to sell to cheaper developing nations on android with no MS fee and no INTEL fee and games all under $20. See the point? As a bonus they get more of the pie (CPU, not just GPU on PC's). They will sell between 7Billion-10Billion android devices in the next 4-5yrs. Do the math ;)

NV chose the correct path. AMD, probably not. Consoles already down >50% since launch. Just like Wiiu. Steam boxes, and mobile everything will slow them even more as we move to 20nm and we get even MORE power on android with 64bit OS and chips, stacked memory, etc. A simple die shrink of K1 Denver in Q1 would allow 3ghz or more which would allow them to completely blow by xbox360/ps3 (and other tech surrounding it advancing too, stacked memory etc) and cheap games help lessen the need for xbox1/ps4 even more. Hard to justify a purchase of those for all but the most affluent or hard core console lovers going forward.

I really hope the shield 2 is coming though, with 4GB etc in the 2nd spec sheet that floated, which clearly is the handheld as it's completely different specs than the tablet. He didn't rule it out above, more confirmed IMHO by saying the address different markets.

suture

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
In an era of 2560 x 1600 tablets with 3gb of ram they can do better for a gaming tablet.

Actually, 2560 x 1600 its not good for gaming, transforms your device in a battery hog and performance goes down like crazy, PS4 and xbox1 are already struggling to run some AAA games at usual 1080p with decent fps
Tegra K1 is a powerfull chip for mobile gadgets, but running some serious games like Trine 2 @ FHD and decent FPS its already something to show for, and in a decent priced tablet.
More resolution in those small screens is a waste of power, battery and ofc the tablet priced would go up.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Wait, you may get that shot or at least a discount for buying the new one again assuming it comes. Though I heard a weird rumor (claim anyway) on another site that it was coming without the screen. That would kind of kill the whole Vita/3DS handheld part of Shield2, so that really doesn't make sense. Waiting for the author to confirm WHERE he got that from. I read 1440x810 screen so the authors comment was bizarre. Sure you want to use console mode to TV, but a major plus is you don't need a Vita/3DS since you can leave the house as a handheld also. Not to mention what screen do you stream to out of the house from GRID servers or your own PC at home if you don't have one and it's just a gamepad that can hook to a TV? No TV is with you on a bus to work or train etc...But the author did confirm in the article Shield R2 is coming next. So who knows. I don't see why you wouldn't make a rev2 when the chips are so power efficient it has to just be a drop in as you don't need to figure out how to cool it more than the last T4 etc. Plus you can claim Shield R2 is as powerful as a xbox360/ps3. Can't do that with T4 version.

Surely they'll give some sort of gift (games or discount) to repeat buyers since they know who they all are with tegrazone etc loaded on all of them. People who want something more portable (like 3ds/vita) will not want to carry the tablet, gamepad and a kickstand cover. They'll want shield R2.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I think people are overlooking that it is an 8" tablet. The only "high-end" android tablet equivalent in the 8" range with a full HD screen is the LG G Pad 8.3 which still only has a Snapdragon 600. I'd love to see some more high-end 8" tablets. I'm looking at you Google...

I have the Note 8.0, which was a silent release by Samsung. It has a qaud core @ 1.6Ghz and full S-Pen support. I love my tablet, but with the ability to stream my steam games on the nVidia shield tablet I may be upgrading soon.

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Should be smaller and just 1080p and then have the controllers clip to each side. Also need a version with 4G and ability to make and receive phone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS