News Nvidia Flip-Flopping Over GeForce RTX 4070 Specs, Says Leaker

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
With the xx60, xx70, xx80 and the competing names from AMD having their pricing go bonkers, I've stopped using the names of the cards segmenting them into "budget," "mid-range," etc. and now look at the price points. Companies love trying to pull psychological tricks with marketing, so I try and avoid allowing them to do so, especially with things like "the xx60 is now as powerful as the previous generation xx80" (as an example.)

Just look at the price compared to the previous several generations, plus inflation for each.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The minimum amount of VRAM for 2023 is 16GB. AMD set that standard back in 2020, and so did the consoles. Both 12GB and 10GB are unacceptable for hardware priced as a high-end GPU. Nvidia needs to increase their 4070 VRAM or lower their price.

I wonder if Nvidia will try to make more space between the 4080 and 4060. There wasn't much of a gap in the 30-series.

Reactions: Dragos Manea

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
The minimum amount of VRAM for 2023 is 16GB. AMD set that standard back in 2020, and so did the consoles. Both 12GB and 10GB are unacceptable for hardware priced as a high-end GPU. Nvidia needs to increase their 4070 VRAM or lower their price.

I wonder if Nvidia will try to make more space between the 4080 and 4060. There wasn't much of a gap in the 30-series.

Yeah but xx70 isn't considered high end, right? That's top top of the mid-range. xx80 and above is the high-end of GPUs.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Sounds like this "leaker" is pulling values directly from his backside and shotgunning as much crap as he can against the wall. At least one of his thousand "predictions" are bound to come true then he gets to say "See?! I told ya so!!"

Reactions: AgentBirdnest

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It comes down to how many cards are manufactured already and how far along the AIBs are into packaging.

Also, nothing says those leaks weren't for laptop GPUs but still on development boards. Might very well be both versions of the RTX4070.

5888 cores on the RTX 3070
5120 cores on the RTX 3070 mobile

Agreed.
Remember though, GPU chip mfgs. (NVIDIA/AMD) build limits into GPUs on purpose. The RTX 3080 10GB is a perfect example. It will run out of VRAM way before the rasterization power becomes an issue. Limiting cards to 8/10/12GBs is another way of the mfg. saying, "you will be looking at purchasing another GPU in ~3 or so years."

Reactions: bigdragon

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021

I think it depends on the use case/target. If you are talking top of the line card advertised for beyond 4K gaming, I agree. However, for a midrange 4K max resolution card it's not really a requirement, 10 to 12 GB is plenty for the games out there and in the pipe. VRAM at 4K may never really use a full 16 GB of memory, remember VRAM is largely used for textures and at 4K each texture is ~67 MB per texture uncompressed, at 16 GB that's well over 200 individual uncompressed textures per frame (238 theoretical), not many games out there are even close to that. However, as you approach 8K it becomes a bigger requirement, an uncompressed 8K texture is closer to 270 MB, that leaves you with a max of 59 uncompressed individual textures per frame theoretical (there is overhead and other factors, you probably won't be able to address the full 16 GB just for texture mapping).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed.
Remember though, GPU chip mfgs. (NVIDIA/AMD) build limits into GPUs on purpose. The RTX 3080 10GB is a perfect example. It will run out of VRAM way before the rasterization power becomes an issue. Limiting cards to 8/10/12GBs is another way of the mfg. saying, "you will be looking at purchasing another GPU in ~3 or so years."
3060 being the opposite: rasterization power falling short before the extra Vram can be taken advantage of.
Either way, "you will be looking at purchasing another GPU in ~3 or so years."

3090(Ti)? Similar boat as the 3060; few people will take advantage of 24GBs of Vram for games. Sell it as a poor man's Quadro when it's no longer satisfactory, I guess.
Next gen should have a lower tier model matching it while being more affordable and requiring less power to run.

"Where's your futureproofing now?"
/S

Reactions: alceryes

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Kopite7Kimi Flip-Flopping Over RTX 40 Series, Says AgentBirdnest.

I'm tired of stories about this "leaker".
I don't know if it is the "leaker's" problem. Whatever that gets leaked is not official. When it is not official and especially in the early stages, things can keep changing. Clearly, both AMD and Nvidia will keep adjusting things that are still in their control since the chip design itself is finalized. So they will have to adjust specs based on the actual yields, competitors' product, how not to cannibalize their own product, etc.

Reactions: renz496

Console have 16GB but they cannot use them all for graphic. This VRAM thing end up being a "marketing" tool the same way it did with tessellation years ago. And with console now can target 60 or even 120 fps some developer end up giving more focus on faster performance. PS5 Returnal for example renders the game internally at 1080p only and then use their own upscale tech to push the final image to 4k.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Console have 16GB but they cannot use them all for graphic. This VRAM thing end up being a "marketing" tool the same way it did with tessellation years ago. And with console now can target 60 or even 120 fps some developer end up giving more focus on faster performance. PS5 Returnal for example renders the game internally at 1080p only and then use their own upscale tech to push the final image to 4k.
This is correct. The GDDR6 memory in the consoles are shared with the system. Having said that, I don't believe that console requires this much VRAM. Most games runs on a variable resolution with a target FPS, and rarely at native 4K. 4K resolution + graphic quality are usually the culprit when it comes to VRAM usage. In addition, I don't believe console games utilize something like Very high/ Ultra quality visual settings like we can enable on high end PCs. There are currently very little games that demand more than 10GB of VRAM on PCs, so I don't believe there are any titles that will require anything more than 10GB of VRAM on consoles.

Reactions: renz496