Nvidia Forums Hacked, User Data Compromised

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least some company has their mind at least partially on the security of data stored on their sites. It would have been better to have been able to not get hacked in the first place, but letting hackers get away with nothing more than hashed and salted data is a fairly close second place.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Billy, why not just put that link you provided at the end of your "article" and leave it at that, because you failed to write anything of value here. Clearly you took just that one post by nvidia as your source, and ran with it. You neglected to mention, for example, that the site has been down for over a week, that initially the single paragraph on the site simply stated "technical problems", and so forth. I mean if you get paid for writing tech news, at least provide one piece of info that is not directly taken from the source and show your employers that you're putting some effort into your work.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Billy, why not just put that link you provided at the end of your "article" and leave it at that, because you failed to write anything of value here. Clearly you took just that one post by nvidia as your source, and ran with it. You neglected to mention, for example, that the site has been down for over a week, that initially the single paragraph on the site simply stated "technical problems", and so forth. I mean if you get paid for writing tech news, at least provide one piece of info that is not directly taken from the source and show your employers that you're putting some effort into your work.[/citation]
This was posted else where earlier in the week anyway.... Tom's is always a few days behind on reporting anything.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]maqsabre[/nom]these days too many incidents of security breaches are taking place, especially with big companies[/citation]

You just don't hear of the 'little' incidents.

[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Makes me think that it's not the public doing some of it. Corporate espionage or even commie governments where they own all the companies, aka China.[/citation]

Communism is not necessarily bad. Mocking them by calling them commies is discrimination. Whether or not they're doing any of it is not in question because we know that they and others do it, but that's not related to communism. Our own government is no better and does the same to others.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Why the hell does this keep happening? and it's happening to so many top tech-savvy companies also. I mean if they can't have a hack-proof system then nobody can. That's very worrying.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kaisellgren[/nom]"Nvidia actually encrypts their stored passwords"It's not encrypting, it's hashing, two different concepts.[/citation]
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]*Meanwhile, at Radeon*[/citation]

Considering Radeon cards are masters of compute with GCN (especially Hashing)... it shouldn't take to long for hackers to use Radeon render farms to crack the key and unlock all of the passwords.

[citation][nom]Mousemonkey[/nom]They are feeling left out because they now know that not only do serious gamers avoid them but the hackers can't even be bothered to take a look at their wares![/citation]

I find the combination of "Serious" and "Gamer" funny. I make money with my compute abilities as well as play games. I make bitcoins/litecoins. I can trade them for Gold, Silver, USD, CAD etc.

I also play a whole slew of games and don't have any driver issues attributed to my 7970s. I do, however, have driver issues with my nVIDIA cards. I'm not the only one...

"Nvidia Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Must be VERY familiar to nVIDIA users.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Communism is not necessarily bad. Mocking them by calling them commies is discrimination. Whether or not they're doing any of it is not in question because we know that they and others do it, but that's not related to communism. Our own government is no better and does the same to others.[/citation]
Not to mention that China is everything but a communist society.

[citation][nom]Mousemonkey[/nom]They are feeling left out because they now know that not only do serious gamers avoid them but the hackers can't even be bothered to take a look at their wares![/citation]

[citation][nom]ElMoIsEviL[/nom]Considering Radeon cards are masters of compute with GCN (especially Hashing)... it shouldn't take to long for hackers to use Radeon render farms to crack the key and unlock all of the passwords.I find the combination of "Serious" and "Gamer" funny. I make money with my compute abilities as well as play games. I make bitcoins/litecoins. I can trade them for Gold, Silver, USD, CAD etc.I also play a whole slew of games and don't have any driver issues attributed to my 7970s. I do, however, have driver issues with my nVIDIA cards. I'm not the only one..."Nvidia Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"Must be VERY familiar to nVIDIA users.[/citation]

Just had to try starting a fanboy fight, huh Mousemonkey...

[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Not to mention that China is everything but a communist society.[/citation]

http://teachabroadchina.com/china-not-communist-country-ccp/

Good point.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
hacker hack the wrong place, steal the wrong thing, they should have look for unreleased geforce spec where is the spec information for 660ti?

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]*Meanwhile, at Radeon*[/citation]

...um...there should be a pic, actually. Where's my pic? I think I did everything correct, why didn't it show up?
God I hate that you can't "check before upload/edit" your posts here.
I do remember that some people posted pics here before, but how did they do that? I'm new to this particular Tom's thing, and I already don't like it...

I don't even see a link to a pic in your post. Also, you can edit posts on tomshardware .com if you click "read the comments on the forums" right between the article and the comments.

Also, you can post images like this, except with no spaces:

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Why the hell does this keep happening? and it's happening to so many top tech-savvy companies also. I mean if they can't have a hack-proof system then nobody can. That's very worrying.[/citation]

It really is, especially as most of the corps want to roll out the cloud in a big way with baked in pay services and the like meaning they will want to have your credit card info. Now its usually just email addresses and passwords that get leaked but tomorrow if the company's gets the cloud done the way they want... it will be a pouder cake just waiting to go off and the big loosers will be the consumer who have their important data on them like credit cards numbers and the like.

When a site get hacked i really hope the feds also do a thorough check and determines if the security was adequate, if not the company's should be fined for negligence with their users data!

Status
Not open for further replies.