Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here is a review of 11 different 1060 6 gb cards from computerbase.de https://www.computerbase.de/2016-10/geforce-gtx-1060-partnerkarten-vergleich-test/

shows a touch of a difference at out of the box speeds.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Good vid - well spotted.

mr91

Distinguished

I suggest you wait until instructions are given. I prefer Samsung or SK Hynix because i've never had problems with these brands, I think the 1080 might still have some issue's when in desktop mode above 120hz. I suspect it's a VRAM Voltage issue as well.

Too bad the other memory companies above don't make GDDR 5x

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

i had seen that a few reviews noted the missing thermal pads and higher temps but no one suggested it was beyond what they should be. but obviously there is an issue if evga is offering free thermal pads as a solution.

i wish we could get tom's german site translated. seems like they get a lot of stuff we don't see in the english site :(

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah that boost speed caught me off guard. tom;s did not have a 960 in the mix but that bit more than a 950 the ti model got is right about where the 960 is. that's what the rumors/leaks were putting it at. but 960 performance for 75w is not bad at all.

i'm excited about the pricing moves that are going to have to happen when the 1050 is fully out in stores. gonna be some movement by both amd and nvidia with the 460/70 cards as well as these. the 470 may not come down since it is by itself for the moment but the 460 will probably go down considering the vanilla 1050 beats it by a good 15+% and they are supposed to start at the same prices.

Bugal Jackson

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
I built my first PC just earlier this year, but by chance it was only a couple months before the 1070 and 1080 released so people advised me to get one of them. They told me that their new pascal technology was grounbreaking somehow, forgot exactly what was told. But now that I know a bit more about this stuff, can someone explain?

Nvidia's PASCAL offers a much greater performance increase over last generation Nvidia GPUs, more so than any other generation has before. It also offers a much greater performance in VR. Also the clock speeds are ridiculous at over 2GHz!!! :bounce: As far as the details of how they do this... I'm not sure..

*Oh, and they did all of that consuming less power than any other generation of GPUs

The generational increase in performance jumped two tiers, more than the usual one tier. For example, the GTX 960 performs like (actually less than) a GTX 770, but a GTX 1060 performs like a GTX 980. Which results in a much better value for the card.

**The 960 didn't really offer much better performance than the 760.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
As the majority of the manufacturers have introduced their 1050(ti) cards, I haven't seen a single one that is low-profile. For instance, MSI and Gigabyte had a 750ti low-profile versions.
So does that mean that:
1) OEMs don't intend to make low-profile 1050s, or
2) it is still to early to ask, as the low-profile is a niche that could be later delivered?

I have OEM PC that can only be fitted with low-profile GPU; so I'm facing a dilemma, to buy now a 750ti (and possibly regret it), or to wait (maybe indefinitely) for a 1050 low-profile?

The worst scenario: 1050 "low profile" non exist, and you need to search a 750Ti, at least used.

I think don't worth - at today 2016.10.26 - picking up a GTX 750Ti.

Now, talking about the GTX 1050, i saw the review which JayzTwoCents has done, well, just amazing card for 1080. I mean, sure, you can't full everything, but men, 150 bucks ( around 3k~4k pesos argentinos ) for a good and smooth gameplay @1080p. I remembered when i was going to buy a R7 270x for almost the same price some time ago, and now this beast is rushing to 1080p. Just amazing.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
at this point i think only a waterblock will allow for a true single slot card. even then you'd have to switch out or modify the i/o plate to get it single slot as well. even a single small fan is not slim enough to be single slot.

never looked into it but i don't think i have ever seen a fan that was as slim as would be needed outside of a laptop. maybe you could get some laptop fans and rig yourself a cooler for a low power 1060 card. would be interesting.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
Single-slot is not mandatory, there is space for a dual-slot card. What is obligatory, is the height of the card, which is the main advantage of the low-profile cards (low-profile means height less than 3'').

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
true, low profile is very hard to find and i have not seen one for newer cards in couple generations. perhaps a riser card can let it orient in a way to fit into the case?? just a thought but slim cases have used them for years to fit taller cards, especially in office type cases. some cases come with them so they must sell them separately somewhere. some holes in the side of the case for air intake and you would be good to go :D

+1 to the low profile video cards not existing.

The market is too little I would think... No one really cares about low profile anymore in the ~$100 arena 8(

For everything else, there's the CM Elite 361. Or a practical saw :D

Cheers!

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015

You think wrong. PC OEMs sell millions of office computers, of which part ends up being used for other needs as well. Besides, build quality, particularly of their cases, and of whole computers as such (especially in terms of long-term reliability) is outstanding.
So that are the reasons why low-profile GPU market is not 'too little'. Niche yes, but not unsignificant. Further, given the lowering of the TDP (direction which NVIDIA strongly pursuit), one can simply put 100+ USD GPU in average office PC and get the gaming machine.