Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 114 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mr91

Distinguished
I had a friend with 2x 1070's Strix cards and one card was booting higher than the other. He found out that they're using different bios's.
After flashing to the new bios both cards were boosting to 2100 mhz in sli.

Do both of your cards have the same bios?

mr91

Distinguished
Maybe the VRM or the VRAM temperatures are higher when in SLI. I'm not sure why you can't get your max OC in SLI when your temps are good.

The guy I know with the 1070's is running both over 2100 in SLI after the bios update...

mr91

Distinguished
Cool, I informed the guy that was successful with the 1070 Overclocking and invited him to this tread.
Hopefully he will give you some tips on how to increase your SLI OC with the Pascal cards.

mr91

Distinguished
The guy said he copied the bios from the higher performing card and flashed the second 1070 strix card.
The guy also said forcing steady voltage was helpful to achieve max clocks with the pascal cards...

mr91

Distinguished
Go to General -- Unlock voltage & then force constant voltage...

I didn't increase my voltage on my card however it's isn't lock on my founders card.

If unlock voltage doesn't work than you need to use GPU Tweak...

AFAIK it is more about forcing constant voltage value. it did not give free control over what voltage we want to apply. with kepler and above nvidia make the power saving feature even more aggressive.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

Damn I glad that I have the FTW Hybrid and I don't have to worry about this

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

Agreed, about a year+ after any given architecture is released whether it's Intel, IBM, AMD or Qualcomm they could lower their prices and they don't. The point is is that in about 10 years, you're going to see what right now is sophisticated processors in EVERYTHING. Think of the best consumer processor you can buy right now. In 10-15 years it's going to be pennies to manufacture.

mr91

Distinguished

How does your card OC & is it quiet when overclocked?

larsv8

Distinguished

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the pny cards are just founder's edition reference cards. they sell a lot to oem's which is why dell has them for sale. nothing wrong with them other than the normal FE stuff. it'll run a touch warmer and a bit louder that a custom card do to the blower style cooling. other than that, no reason to not get it if you have to buy one from dell. good airflow in your case and it won't overheat or anything like that.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

To answer your question in a short manner, it overclocks great and is extremely quiet. But I've also done a lot of things to my rig to ensure it's as quiet as possible. I hate loud fans. Detailed description on my experience with my EVGA FTW Hybrid below!

As far as the card goes in general at full load it maybe gets up to 45c (stock), I have the radiator in a rather unique push/pull configuration as well that keeps it about 3c cooler overall compared to just one fan on the radiator. I don't use the stock fan that came with it for the radiator though either, all my fans are Noctua fans. The one fan that cools the VRAM power on the other side of the PCB is REALLY quiet at 100% though. Just note that for some reason, the three pin coming out of the card won't power certain fans. It wouldn't power the static pressure fan I have in the pull position but it powers the airflow fan in the push position. I think it's cause the static pressure fan is a PWM fan though, either way no big deal. Also the pump is silent and the card has no coil whine. I did a lot of research between this GPU, the msi Seahawk, and the Gigabyte Waterforce and the EVGA FTW Hybrid I decided was the best, for how much it costs plus just how it cools the custom PCB (the Seahawk uses the reference design), down to how it comes clocked from the factory. I have no buyer's remorse. One thing to add about how it cools the card, is that the cold plate is flat (as opposed to the Seahawk, it's just using a Corsair H55, which do not have flat cold plates as H55's are optimized for CPU's not GPU's). Anyway, there is a huge copper piece that comes down that is fastened by the cold plate to cover and cool the VRAM chips instead of relying on air alone to cool them. I may even have gotten the Waterforce but it didn't offer anything that the FTW Hybrid didn't (aside from being completely watercooled) as the Waterforce is $40 more (the Hybrid also has a dual BIOS as well, the Waterforce doesn't).

So far I've been able to get my card up to +158mhz on the core clock and +382mhz on the memory with power limit set at 115% and the power allowance* set to 100% and run it through Time Spy, Firestrike 1080p, Furmark 4k (for 30 minutes) all stable. I know I can go higher, but at this point I really only overclock when benchmarking, I just don't need the extra horsepower for games, at least not yet. At these settings the GPU got about 3c hotter on average under load.

The weird thing is is that I got a lower graphics score by about 200 points on Time Spy with the overclock settings I mentioned above than when I ran through Time Spy with it clocked at +75mhz core and +200mhz memory with power limit and allowance set to 115% and 100% respectively. Anybody know why this might be? Lower clock = higher score does not compute.

P.S. I really wish precision X was as good as afterburner considering I have an EVGA card, and the fact EVGA stopped using rivatuner is beyond me.

* On the FTW Hybrid it doesn't let you unlock voltage control and control how many extra mV you want to put in to your GPU, instead the slider is marked "Core Voltage (%)" I was confused about what this slider was at first but then found out that when you set it at 100% you're allowing the card to pull up to 1.2V if it needs to, usually it sticks around 1.095V

mr91

Distinguished
I would raise the power limit to max when overclocking. On the founders card max is 120%.

An extra 158 seems like it's too much because you get an OC out of the box. I would stick with the most stable OC.
158 might be too much, I would try 100 or 125 however at the end of the day you won't get much performance out of 50 - 75 mhz.

should be fine. they probably less popular than some other brands but they usually sell nvidia professional line up of gpu. AFAIK almost all quadro that sold on the market was made by PNY.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

Ya on my card the power limit (not to be confused with power allowance) only goes to 115% and the temperature limit to 95c, the highest I ever see the power at is 98% anyway. I just want to know why I got lower graphics scores in some benchmarking programs when my card was clocked higher.

mr91

Distinguished

Can you add some voltage?

Basically if your overclock is too high it can negatively impact performance unless you find a way to tweak it.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

I can flash overclock settings onto the BIOS, and I have a dual BIOS just in case, but I've never done that, would like to learn how though.

Ya all you can do is put power allowance at 100% and let the card do the rest .The card CAN pull up to 1.2v, but like I said, I never see it go above 1.095v

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
apparently Nvidia added some telemetry services to the newest GPU driver. as is normal with such things they are not saying what they are collecting or what it is for. so naturally we assume the worst and it's part of some sinister plot to steal your Nanna's secret family recipe for pumpkin spice stuffed eggplant fritters.

if you've read about it and/or are concerned about it, here is a simple way to stop the data collection. https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/how_to_disable_nvidia_s_telemetry_process/1

basically, run autoruns program, uncheck the 3 telemetry services and then close autoruns program. now your secret family recipe is safe as is your not so secret fondness for that fat feet food squashing fetish video you've been into since you saw it on Tosh.o........... (don't worry your secret is safe with me)

mr91

Distinguished

I didn't get a chance to play with your card & I don't know any good BIOS's that are available. I suggest you start a thread and maybe somebody can help you. There is some risk involved with using aftermarket BIOS's...

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

Ya I read that it is possible to brick your card doing this, luckily I have a dual BIOS just for that purpose haha. Like said before though, for right now I don't overclock it when gaming as it's stock overclock is more than enough, I'm sure I will when I finally save up enough to get a 1440p monitor, even though on a lot of games I run that with DSR anyway. It sounds like a good, stable BIOS for overclocking a card takes awhile after said card's launch date. One additional question I have is when you flash a BIOS on to your GPU do you use any software? Do I need to use integrated graphics while I do it?

TRENDING THREADS