NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TI wont boot

cristi.dospra

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
Hello everyone. I've just bought a new GPU (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI GIGABYTE). I've inserted it in the socket and when I tried to turn on the pc, the screen became grey with some pixels of other colors for 3 seconds and after that the screen became black (i must mention that the GPU cooler stopped aswell). The computer gave no sounds (like *beeps*)

My config:

Motherboard: Intel Corporation DH77KC (CPU 1)
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz Sandy Bridge
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz Kingston HyperX
Storage: 1TB Western Digital + 128GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
Monitor: Acer K222HQL (connection to GPU is made through a dual DVI-D cable)
Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

(Here is a picture with the screen)
4frfBqe.jpg

Thank you very much!

Solution
1) Pascal refers to the GPU codename for that series of Nvidia GPUs. 10 series right now is all Pascal.

2) Typically power supplies are rated in total wattage output. The proper way to do this is to list the continuous power delivery capability at a given temperature.

Cheap power supplies often list peak power instead of continuous, or provide continuous ratings at unrealistic temperatures like 25C.

Another sign of a cheap power supply is high wattage output at 5V included in the total. Contemporary ATX computers consume almost exclusively 12V, so having 50 Amp output on the 5V make up half the supplies' rating is misleading.

There is also the 80+ certifications to use as a rough guideline. To get certified power supply...

cristi.dospra

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

I have a chieftec 400W and i tried reseating the GPU twice

Thank you for the answer

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is a slightly older computer, try updating the BIOS with your old GPU or using the Intel graphics. Pascal cards have some problems with backwards compatibility with non-UEFI BIOS.

Chieftec is typically considered a 'fire hazard in a box' power supply company. I suggest replacing it even if you do get the GPU working.

Check here for a decent list: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

cristi.dospra

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

Thank you very much for your answer and suggestions. I can confirm that the pc is slightly old. I have two questions though:

1. What do you call a "Pascal card"
2. Is there a good reason for calling Chieftec "'fire hazard in a box' power supply company"? (Im not a fan of them or something like this, but i had no problems with my PSU and i am just curious)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1) Pascal refers to the GPU codename for that series of Nvidia GPUs. 10 series right now is all Pascal.

2) Typically power supplies are rated in total wattage output. The proper way to do this is to list the continuous power delivery capability at a given temperature.

Cheap power supplies often list peak power instead of continuous, or provide continuous ratings at unrealistic temperatures like 25C.

Another sign of a cheap power supply is high wattage output at 5V included in the total. Contemporary ATX computers consume almost exclusively 12V, so having 50 Amp output on the 5V make up half the supplies' rating is misleading.

There is also the 80+ certifications to use as a rough guideline. To get certified power supply manufacturers have to pay a company to certify them. This means they meet specific guidelines of power delivery and efficiency. Obviously cheaper manufacturers won't pay for this service and you have possibly not even UL certification (or even if listed, a false label)

It goes on to be much worse, they can flat out lie on the label, and if you put too much load on the power supply and they skipped on safety features the power supply can catch fire or explode. They can also fail and damage your hardware by letting high voltage through to the components.

Either way the power supply is the core of the computer. It is amazing how many stability issues are fixed with a decent power supply.

If you provide the exact model I can do a little digging and check who actually made it. I know some of Chieftec's units are made by CWT and they are at least capable of making decent parts. I have a few thermaltake units from them, but they are a heck of a lot more expensive then most of the Chieftec units available.

But if you purchased a pre-built computer typically the biggest possible savings they can make is to use cheap power supplies.

Solution

aliakbarwork72

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
first: You need at least 650W, because the final number of any PSU is between 70 to 80% and Nvidia 1050 Ti takes about 300w (not sure this will fix it but it's A problem)
Second: you are using a SSD drive & 1050 Ti, even if you pass this problem you have to install windows 10, these 2 are not working in their full potential with below windows 10