Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Review

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

These cards are coming in but still in smaller quantities then I was expecting, we have limits how many we can sell to customers unless it is a special deal we arrange with the manufacturer in advance.

I work for a distributor and sell to retailers, etailors, Consultants.... I just don't sell to the public. I have customers from Europe, across the US to the tip of South America. I love talking to smart professionals all day about computer parts and System/Server builds. They teach me more than the manufactures do that come in and hype their new products to us several times a month. What's funny is I usually know all about the product from researching it on my own online before they come in to train us on it.

Since the Temp Limit variable can be manually adjusted, do you mean that the default Temp Limit is set to 75c? I've looked around a bit and can't seem to find the default setting. I also haven't seen any graphs showing throttling below the normal Temp Limit of 80-82c.

Any GTX 1060 owners care to chime in and tell us what the default setting is? It would be this bit in the middle here (set to 92c in this example for overclocking purposes):
MSI-GTX-1060-6G-TOC-Afterburner-overclocking.jpg

Hmm. See, I want to buy a GTX 1060 or 1070 for my ITX rig, but I was under the impression the 1060 throttled at lower temps judging from this review. Based on the data presented in this article, it appears to throttle at about 73C. Almost like an AMD CPU.

j3CmKA1.png

Whereas the GTX 1070 seems to throttle at 84C.

Turkey, you are looking at the founders edition. So that behavior might or might not be true for AiB cards.
Also, 1070 is a huge jump in terms of performance. And I've never seen mine going beyond 62C on air (30-32C ambient)

It should be consistent, it's still the same GPU. Is not throttling a property of the GPU itself? I don't think it's the VRMs throttling there.

Well yeah because a decent cooler won't make the GPU hot enough to throttle. But it still throttles at 74C.

Well I'd hope to see a review of an aftermarket 1060 to get this clarified.

Okay, I see what you're saying. The clock speed dips around a bit in the Turbo Boost state, but still well above the 1506 MHz standard clock. It could be because it has more fine-grained voltage vs. boost clock variability written into its programming. You can see the multiple voltage points at load vs just a few on the Gaming model. Versus the GTX 970 for comparison as well.

Founder's
clock_vs_voltage.jpg

MSI Gaming
clock_vs_voltage.jpg

GTX 970
clock_vs_voltage.jpg

What I'm trying to say is that Pascal (and polaris) cards are very sensitive to temperature.
Probably due to the high leakage with 16/14nm node.
GP 106 is physically smaller than GP 104, so it has less surface for heat transfer.
BUT, with decent cooler from AIB partners, it should be fine since the temperatures will be below 60C.
I live in a harsh environment (33-35C with 75-90% humidity) and yet, GTX 1070 on air was below 60C.
Now on liquid, the card is mostly around 40-42. When i play without air conditioner and the fans are on very low speed, the temperature of the GPU can climb toward 48C.
I have noticed that the card may start at 2080@1.025v and than drop to 2038@1.031v. My guess that the BIOS is aggressively monitors the current/temperature and lowers the clock. With "high" 73C temperature it results in throttling.
On lower temperature it just lowers clock a bit.
I've seen GTX 1060 working stable on 2200MHz with reversible mod on current monitoring. They tricked the card to "think" it;s not hitting power limit.

It has been.

The AMD Radeon R9 380/380x Series 1st appeared at the end of June 2016, one year after the 380 was released and now the 2 cards have 0.54% of the market, Meanwhile, the slower 960 grabbed 3.72% of the market.

I don't expect the 480 to make an appearance for months, especially that this time around the the 1060 is substantially faster than the 480 and the cards w/ the price advantage (reference and Nitro) have kinda fallen flat .

As for the 960, even tho, it outsold all AMD cards combined over two generations, I don't expect the 1060 to break into the list until fall.

AMD Radeon R9 380 Series = 0.54%
AMD Radeon R9 390 Series = 0.52%
AMD Radeon R7 300 Series = 0.46%
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series = 0.68%
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series = 0.41%

Those numbers aren't fully accurate. My R9 280 is listed under Windows as a 7900 series card. Wouldn't surprise me to find a lot of the 200 and 300 cards under their respective 7700, 7800, or 7900 groupings as well. I imagine the new chips ( 285/380, 390 ) are all grouped correctly. But overall, you'll be hard pressed to separate the number of cards purchased when they were still 7000 or when they got rebranded.

Husband's Anonymous, too funny, perhaps a free "Willy" club for husbands, lol!

Well there's also this

emvQALG.png

AMD did 29% market share and Nvidia around 71% for the 1st Quarter of 2016. Good news for AMD since it gained share.

http://wccftech.com/amd-takes-gpu-share-nvidia-q1-2016/

I'm wondering how AMD did in the 2nd quarter. Since the release of the Pascal models will slow down the movement of the Maxwell models until the prices on them drop. And there wasn't much stock on the Pascals to ship.

Still, the 7900 series is only clocking in at 1.35%, so it's not like the picture gets much better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.