Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics Card Roundup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
As so often: I can only test, what I get. Asus doesn't send samples yet.

I got the card only in rotation - no chance to take a closer look again and measure. Sorry for this, too bad. :(

I contacted the German EVGA guy a few days ago with a few questions and I'm still waiting for an answer. It's EVGA, I'm not sure that I get a sign :D

Ancient1

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Thanks for the response.
T need guesstimation of the diameter in 0.1mm, not so much length.
" maybe compare from memory to the one you have in your hands ? "
I know I'll have to do final adjustments , but that wouldn't take as long as starting from scratch.

I made a mistake : "1mm x 1cm ledded copper strips" . HA !
Soldier goes with Led as in CSNY's OHIO: "Led Coppers and Nixon coming" ;) ,
but Tin goes with Solder.
:)

Because we received this sample with a non-retail BIOS intended only for press, it does not qualify for one of our awards.

I don't get this part. If this PC World, I get it. But this is supposed to be an "enthusiast" site. MSI provides a utility that lets you switch between 3 modes with the click of a button. So why not test with all 3 ? If ya wanna make a comparison table, flip the switch back to what is shipping to everyone else. If testing PCs, would a unit be disqualified because they "flipped the switch" to XMP ... why not, it's not the default setting when the RAM is installed in the MoBo ... so how is this different ?

The reason that I don't bother reading THG GFX card reviews is because THG doesn't look at overclocking. It's not that MSI cheated by using a BIOS that was unavailable to anyone else, the objection here is that MSI supplied a card to an enthusiast site and "flipped a switch" for the press that any owner of the card could also do, and since they very clearly disclose on all their ads, is not disingenuous in any way:

1594 MHz (OC Mode)
1569 MHz (Gaming Mode)
1506 MHz (Silent Mode)

I really don't see what a card that offers all their users a performance option, why any site representing itself to be performance oriented would not test in the performance mode ... or at the very least, test the default and performance or even all 3. AMD basically has all the cards shipping in "performance mode" since the 2xx series... hence why the OC headroom is so small.

It's kinda like saying, "Well we didn't test the [insert SUV model here] because the SUVs delivered to the press for the off-road test had the dial on the dash board already set to 4WD". The only ones eligible for award consideration are the ones that are delivered with the dial set to 2WD." But if i am considering buy a SUV for its off-road performance, I want it in the mode that best addresses those conditions. Same with my GFX cards.

I'm not saying that out of the box performance should be ignored ... it seems perfectly logical to ship the cards at the middle setting which balances the two extremes. Again, if i was reading PC World, this would be my expectation .... if I was reading a review at silentpcreview,com, the Silent setting I would expect to be the focus of the review. But if I am looking for a review of a particular card, I am going to be interested in a review that addresses how the card is going to perform the way I intend to use it. Again, nothing stopping any reviewer from "flipping the switch" back to the default setting if you want to do an article focus only on "what is shipping". Why not a table listing 3 columns with Silent Mode - Gamer Mode - OC Model. if the option is offered, then just put NA in that column.

Yes, the reviewer should advise readers that this **is an option** and not the default setting ... but to suggest that they "pulled something" as opposed to just stating that an option was utilized or flipping the switch back does a disservice to the reader who may find the option attractive.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The answer isr really simple:

You are totally wrong, because THG is NOT a pure enthusiast only site. We have thousands of readers like normal customers, shop owners and other people, who will never overclock a card or use some funny, additional software. We are testing all cards in-depth and out of the box from the technical site and not with such a +/- 30 MHz software crap.

OC? GPUs aren't equal and to be objective and fair, you must test tons of cards of the same model to get something like a trend. The quality of reviews, saying, that a card from vendor A is faster than a card (with more or less similar clocks) from vendor B is worst level and not my style. Because it's a lie. I can show you cards with higher base clocks, defined in the firmware for marketing, but lower real boost clock rate under load than other cards with lower nominal speed in the specs. Why? This is called Boost 3.0 and depends only at the chip quality. It is each time a question of pure luck, nothing else. The best example is a cheap Galax GTX 1070 EX (not EXOC), that can beat the most of the GTX 1070 "Hall of Fame" models from the same manufacturer. Cheaper PCB, significant lower base clocks in firmware, but an outstanding GPU that allows the card clock rates near the 2GHz borderline - simply out of the box without any OC. But exactly this card I NOT used for my review, to be fair to others. :D

The second thing:
I really hate cheaters. I hate this stupid idiots in games and I totally dislike it, if a company is cheating the reviewers and customers. That MSI gotn't an award is a penalty and to be honest: it worked! MSI decided, to send all samples from now as is. I'm not such a dump and bought YT claquer, who meaningless accepts all this fouls from the manufacturers. So I can review and recommend now 1:1 what you can buy in the shops. I call it a perfect deal. I also hate all this alternate facts. I'm testing very hard but fair and I try to give each sample the same conditions.

pfillion

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
Although I do not necessarily buy ASUS products, they are one of the biggest video card vendors. It does not make your article very credible if you voluntarily refuse to include them in your tests ...

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Again:
Asus has not sampled us. It is so difficult to understand? I can only test, what I have. If a vendor is not interested in an in-depth review, it is finally not my fault.

Asus isn't able to send us cards from their HQ and I must share a handful of samples in Germany with a lot of other media and only in rotation. But is isn't a quality review, if you can't look under the hood to keep the card untouched. Only benchmarks in a review are really stupid. This kind of reviews are useless and boring.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Let me check this with the R&D from Gigabyte. But I'm on vacation next week. Too bad.
I need a short rest before Ryzen, RX5xx and other new things. The first since a long time ;)

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I got the pictures of v2 from Gigabytes R&D

iV088M1.jpg

The main difference is the PCB layout. But both with 5+1 phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.