Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Doesn’t Boost In VR With The Latest Game Ready Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Finally!! a way to disable GPU Boost! now we can overclock and know what our max speed will be. even if precision or afterburner tells you what your boost will be, my card still goes above the rated boost.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Always has worked, with HDMI ;)
"We are aware of user reports of an incompatibility when plugging HTC Vive into GeForce GTX 1080/1070 using the DisplayPort connector. We have identified a solution which is planned to be released in NVIDIA’s next Game Ready Driver targeted for later this week. In the interim, we recommend users connect HTC Vive to the HDMI port on GeForce GTX 1080/1070," read the statement from PeterS@Nvidia on the support forums.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-vive-displayport-incompatible,32204.html

So just like AMD power issues with 480, everyone has issues with new products these days.
**Shakes Head** @whiners - as long as they fix things that are broke within a few weeks I'm ok with it. There are far too many configs for these guys (AMD or NV) to get everything right. You simply can't test for EVERY scenario and VR isn't making it any easier by having a dozen devices. Not surprising there are compatibility issues with something so new (and practically useless...LOL). :)

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
After all of the bellyaching and shaming people go on about AMd hardware every single year... You have glitches like this from Nvidia that go unfixed. You STILL can't use a display Port connection with the 1070 or 1080... a full 2 months later. Now this??? AMd fixed their power issue in a full 6 days, and properly claimed that it happened, unlike Nvidia hiding all of these ugly glitches.
On top of dropping 3 and 4 way SLI for their diehard consumers, as well as not just entirely disabling SLI for the 1060 just to force people into paying more for a single 1080 for performance instead of choosing to sli 1060's for less: How is Nvidia still the most favored brand? They've gone so far downhill, I don't want to give them my money, even less so than I felt last year...
Vega, please hurry

mattcrow

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
"Over the weekend, people started reporting"

Wait... what? Peo... People? People actually own those cards?!
Weird... I've been trying to buy one since 1st of June with no luck... or, maybe I am actually lucky...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
DisplayPort connections tend to be a little more finicky compared to HDMI, so I wouldn't really put too much weight into it. For instance take the AMD R9 290x using DisplayPort to a 28" 4k TN panel monitor at 60hz. The unique timing of the panel is not fully supported over their displayPort and it will flicker.

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I think that might have just been some preliminary less advanced 4k Panels, the Samsung ones maybe?
I used the AOC U2879vf 28" 4k Freesync monitor through my R9 290's Display Port, and had absolutely zero issues, no flashing or flickering. Note, this actually had the same panel as the Samsung too, no problems
If this is what you mean: https://youtu.be/JfreP0AESQI?t=1m11s
or with samsung's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAASlcrA5Xc&ab_channel=%E5%B0%9A%E6%98%8C%E5%AE%81
I've never seen that before, and I have an original stock and BIOS R9 290
I upgraded to an LG 27UD68-W 4k IPS Freesync monitor, no flickering issues with that monitor now either.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The cards have been shipping since the day they were released. There's incredibly high demand. Lost of people have these cards. Lost more people are trying to get their hands on one.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Freesync is probably correcting the timing issues verse non Freesync versions. Also this happens at 60hz specifically. 59hz is fine, but 59hz is only natively supported at 1080.

mattcrow

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014

I know, I was just being sarcastic, I'm trying to buy Asus STRIX 1080, but I can't find it anywhere at the moment (here in Ireland). Well except for a couple of units that are extremely overpriced, which I refuse to pay for.
;)

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Hmm... well even when Freesync is disabled, I've never had flickering like you've described :/
I've just figured out that My Freesync has been off for 3 days now when I was rearranging monitors, just checked... I didn't see any flashing, have never :/
Only flashing I ever experienced was with Driver 16.5.1, 16.5.2, and 16.5.3, if the flashing was occuring, it could have been those drivers, those were all bugged, made all three of my monitors of different resolutions flash and blink. On a stable driver, I've never had this problem.
Every example I can find online is from 2014... so I'm assuming it was a firmware/software bug that was silently occuring and was silently fixed by AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.