Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Pascal Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranco

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
Could you run an Otoy octane bench? This really could change the motion graphics industry!? Please!!!

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I'm disappointed to be honest. Maybe I was crazy but i was really expecting the card to to 4k 60. Knowing how much improvements that Ti cards usually have, i'm not even sure a 1080 ti is gonna be able to do 4k 60 all the time in all games. I'l wail for 1180 or 1180 ti.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
i see 1080 as a disappointment in performance. Clock for clock it's not much faster than the 980 and a part of the performance increase actually comes from the new image compression technic (according to Nvidia's slides image compression alone increases performance by like 30%). Good things are like better frame times and much less power consumption

jeremymau

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am glad I didn't believe the hype that has been going around the last several weeks, 10fps is not enough to make me wanna go out and buy one of these cards now. If the 1080 can barely beat the Titan X or R9 Fury X, I can only imagine how poorly the 1070 is going to do. I think I am going to wait several months to upgrade. Here's to hoping AMD and Nvidia drop their prices on current flag ship cards.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

These card are not a worthy upgrade for anybody rocking a 9 series card. They cant do 4k at 60, the 970, 980 and 980 ti are already giving you good results at 1440p, so unless you're upgrade for upgrade sake, there is no reason to get one of these if you got a 9 series.

Nine-Tails

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
this is the stock gpu if you go aftermarket cooler or like me liquid cooled and factory overclocked stock and boost clock the 1080 will do 4k no sweat.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Well have fun with that too many sites showing games at 4k in the mid 40 fps at 4k. I need an all 60 4k card out of the box, no oc needed. That's why i'll wait to see what 1180 or 1180 ti are all about. My 980 ti is not just going to suddenly not be able to play games over the next two years so i can wait.

F-minus

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Well after reading most reviews, including the real life scenario of OCed 980Tis, I don't think the card is a worthy upgrade for anyone with a high-end card right now. If you want it sure, go for it, I'd wait. Nvidia just opened a sweet door for AMD, lets hope they can walk through it without hitting the frame.

F-minus

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
this is the stock gpu if you go aftermarket cooler or like me liquid cooled and factory overclocked stock and boost clock the 1080 will do 4k no sweat.

One German review took it up to 2.1GHz with an aftermarket cooler, but it was unstable at that speeds thanks to being power starved. So yeah, AIBs can fix this, but it wont be cheap, I think cards with re-designed power delivery are going to go past the $699 "Founders edition" price at which point they're even less attractive as they are now.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

It's easy enough to figure out. You know how much more powerful the OC'd TI is versus stock. If it's, say 15%, just mentally add 15% to the TI numbers in the 1080 comparison.

king3pj

Distinguished
I've noticed that a lot of people who are disappointed with the 1080 are comparing it to the 980 Ti. It appears to be a 20-30% performance increase over the 980 Ti in most games.

The 1080 is not the 980 Ti replacement though. It is a 980 replacement and when you look at it that way and see the 60-70% improvement (101% in Rise of the Tomb Raider) that is a pretty nice jump from one generation to the next.

Expecting to see those 60-70% jumps over the 980 Ti isn't really realistic in my opinion because this is the 980 replacement. I think you will see the kind numbers you were hoping for when the 1080 Ti rolls out.

I'm personally anxious to see if a single 1070 will be able to match my SLI 970s. There are some games that don't support SLI and some games where VRAM has caused issues for me at 1440p.

With current resale values I could sell my pair of 970s for about $400 and get a 1070 with no out of pocket cost. As long as I won't see a performance decrease from my SLI 970s trading them in for a single 1070 with 8GB of VRAM seems like a no brainer.

Corey Carroz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Can someone tell me what HDMI 2.0b is? I can't find anything on the platform. I have a number of HDMI 2.0a devices in my house but have never heard of 2.0b before.

Also are there any games that support HDR? I would love to play games in HDR, but I can't find any HDR game content outside of what Valve offered in HDRR in the lost coast, but that is not the same thing.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Where is the problem? You see not only a (mostly wrong) average, but the real heartbeat of this card. You can compare the spikes between 980 und 1080 and you see the different loads on all rails. Which other site gives you such a detailled information?

To understand, why a measuring of such fast switching cards with a simple toy must go wrong, please read this:
The Math Behind GPU Power Consumption
:)

I you need only a simple value, you have the table below the gallery with all needed information and finally an average as a number. And to be honest: a few sites measured @stock more than 180 Watts. This is simply impossible. The arbitrator prevents the card to reach the power target, saved inside firmware. If you see such values you can be sure, that the result is wrong.

My card runs stable @2088-2126 Mhz with 120% power target and fan speed at 100% (deadly, I'm deaf now :D). But as you see on the power consumption page it scales not linear. I think, all above 2.3 Ghz will bring you simply nothing due the memory bottleneck.

noshness

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
It definitely seems like they overhyped this at the reveal. I mean ~20-40% more performance than the 980 TI at the same price isn't crazy impressive. Hoping that the 1070 is actually as powerful as Titan X because that price point is much more impressive than this cards power.

Nice performance at stock. Looks like the only card that can beat this is the 295X2. Wonder if the 1080 can OC to pass the 295X2. Good review but can be have a few more with OC and better cards?

The 295X2 isn't the most powerful graphics card anymore, the Fury Pro Duo is.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Fail gen for nvidia.

They need 1.7Ghz to actually show improvement vs the 1-1.2Ghz of the previous AMD/Nvidia gpu's. Imagine the GP104 at 1.2Ghz.

Wheres the efficiency?

Polaris 10 is aiming at the same 1Ghz sweet spot, improving the hell out of it's gpu cores.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Hi, I am not that impressed.

Point well made. I agree at some point, but still think it's a good card as is. Maybe not what we expect it would, but still.
And to add my own thought to this;

-Despite its obviously looks like a shrinked Maxwell(the similarities on other than few architectural updates is uncanny), they did add up some more tweaking and improvement here and there. By that logic, it should perform far better given the same clock, right? But apparently that's not the case. If everything we saw add up, it would barely better than Maxwell. Pascal simply gets benefit from 16nm nodes, while Maxwell hampered by the less efficient nodes.

-Perhaps things will get better as driver matures. This thing is brand new. Still, also by that logic, any improvements on driver will undoubtedly also affects Maxwell as well. Since both architecture are pretty much the same.

The way I see it; the only thing that allow Pascal perform better than Maxwell is the obvious smaller nodes. More clockspeed, less heat, less power and of course it would correlates to better efficiency. Who would have thought?

Still, there are no such thing as a bad card. Just bad pricing. And at this point, I'm not even sure what to expect from 1060, but I already had a hunch for what 1070 probably will only with these numbers Tom's provides. I might just wait for AMD's response.

Tor___

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
Well I had to choose. Wait for the new graphics card and forgo the ski trip to Mammoth in May. which would you choose?

Corey Carroz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

I think people are looking at it vs the 980ti due to the price being about the same.

And the $570 PowerColor Devil 13 (for high-end price/performance single card setup).

WatchingUser

Reputable
May 29, 2015
By the way Nvidia was touting this new card, you would have thought it would be faster. This just feels like a incremental update, not the graphics revolution everyone seemed to be expecting.
The way they trotted around I was expecting it to by 2x faster than the fury x on DX12 since its supposed to be a next gen card. Another overhyped card milking people before AMD releases its next lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.