Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Dang, my 1070 looks antique already!
One thing that strikes me now, is that if they deprecate the TitanX (obviously) and the old 1080, doesn't that leave a strange price/performance gap in their product portfolio?

AMD would easily slip in any cards performing above the 1070 at 1070 price.
How would NVIDIA counter that?
Will there be a 1070 Ti based off of the 1080?

IDK.... It seems more in-line with previous price brackets of older Ti cards.

780ti launched at $700 and the 980ti launched at $650.

Not saying that AMD may of forced them into this price point (with a unreleased card) but.... it doesn't seem Nvidia wants to price their ti cards above $700 based on the last 2 cards.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Really cool: 40°C GPU Temperature after 20 Minutes Furmark.... Not bad for the Boost ;)

Tom's official closed bench table for VGA ;)
17192455_1526546554046670_3372042128097091148_o.jpg

JPCM2014

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Thank you Format C for making the oc tests with the kryographics! Hopefully with the active Backplate ?? Will they come online tonight?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
1. Tonight?
I'm not a magician. I tested this 1080 Ti in coop with Chris and the Ryzen with Paul. Also wrote parallelly for Germany the Ryzen 7 Family follow-up. The results of workstation, HPC, power consumption and thermals we will again share with Paul for US too. The day has too less hours, too bad :p

2. Backplate?
Nope. For what? I'm not sponsored from them and I see no sense to waste my own money for an illusion. It was the cheapest cooler around, available and I like copper. ;)

BTW:
GPU-Speed: 2012 MHz
GPU-Diode 41°C
GPU-Socket: 41,8 °C
Water In: 29.5°C
Water Out : 34.3°C

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Still NOT a TRUE 4k graphics card is, anyone going to actually produce one this year? One that can have minimum frame dips of 60 because I can't stand frames lower then 120 let alone 60 sure no monitors are out yet that support 4k 120hz but there will be and that's what I'm waiting to upgrade to 60hz is so sluggishly lagging. I can see it and feel it while gaming, probably why VR has minimum 90fps or it makes you sick if below that making the whole theory people can't see past 30fps hogwash.

Malik 722

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
it seems that AMD really has got some thing special in it's fighter jet fleet which has already forced NVIDIA to descend to the lower level even before it's take off.

JPCM2014

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
That illusion was just destroyed by you :-D
But you confirmed me that the block works on the Card. Did you get any problems installing it?

No you are not a magician, but passionate at what you do.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
I don't like OC I live in an area where power tends to drop in and out and have had in the past cards and CPU's fry due to pushing them to their limits and losing power I rather run stock clock so I know warranty isn't void and less likely to fry under massive power loads due to our fine american grid system. Curious what power consumption is at max overclock. Maybe I will get it if I get a battery power brick first I just don't like frying parts.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Good luck getting any version of this card for $700.
I Stand corrected the card is selling a $700 all FE versions. I guess the $700 was over the gouge threshold. Funny that the Radeon cards were priced higher than suggested[./i]

Power draw and Temp/Throttling are concerns, but the card is fast.

The Fury X does pretty good and seems that memory holds it back. The new Radeon card will easily be a contender no doubt and price competitive, but we will be at the mercy of gouging.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

It works perfekt. But use a part of the thermal pad stripe for the missing memory module and put it on this empty place (prevent before short circuit). I used Thermal Grizzly's Kryonout as thermal compount. This is really an excellent product!

Just running 2036 MHz, stable since a lot of loops. Wow.... :)

Just buy a good quality UPS and you'll never have that problem again. They might seem expensive, but frying a card is a lot more expensive. If you have the cash to buy a $700 card, then a nice UPS isn't too much, and can last a very long time.

"Good luck getting any version of this card for $700 at launch", it should read.

The price spike is only for early adopters (when demand is a lot higher than supply). If you wait a little bit, then you'll have this card or a big selection of better cooled ones for this price.
Just thinks as if this card is going to be launched in May, and you can pay extra to have it earlier.

Won't the Founders Edition be available direct from Nvidia for $699?

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

You are the man! Awesome to see early OCing attemps and under water too. Pascal continues to show that if you keep it cool and provide optimal power it will fly.

It's going to be hard waiting, but I'm definitely holding out for the AIB boards and maybe one with water. I'd be happy if I could air cool and keep it ~1.8Ghz.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
This boring, plain vanilla is atm running at 2088 MHz - stable. You don't need this bling bling 1001 phase PCBs to fall into Pascal's clock limits. Aweseome shit, this card. Mama....

D

Deleted member 217926

Is that base clock or boost?

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Now up to 2101 MHz. It is the monitored, real clock under heavy gaming load.
Also that, what Boost the card allowed and also the physical barrier for Pascal chips with normal cooling solutions. :)

17159128_1527425343958791_3449146555560526333_o.jpg

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Optimizations for SLI are almost non-existent more and more and NV Inspector is hit and miss for profile adjustments to "rig" titles to run it... I know first-hand and am ditching my SLI setup once vendor-editions of the Ti start rolling out and are benched.

JPCM2014

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Aquaduct + Mora 3 waiting for UPS ... next week i should get the water block and the "illusion" ehhm active backplate :pt1cable:
I hope the 2100 will work for me too^^

FullSizeRender.jpg

logainofhades

Titan

I am kinda in the same boat, with my 2x 24" 1080p monitors. My GTX 980 is still plenty for me, especially considering the games I play. This card would be a huge waste, for gaming anyway. Would love to have one for F@H though. :D

Why does a true 4k GPU have to hit 60fps? I don't hear anybody else saying that.

If you want 4k 60fps, just disable anti aliasing all together, and you'll get there. It's a shortcut I use to get higher frame rates at high res since anti aliasing doesn't really do much since 4k is such a high resolution.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I don't hear anyone saying anything else. And I agree, I think 60fps should be the bare minimum before playing at a certain resolution is acceptable.

4K/60 is here, but 4K/60/Ultra is still out of reach, and there's a lot of people that want that, and that's why they're saying the technology still isn't viable. And I kind of agree with that, as well. The mentality of "What's the point of buying the most powerful card if I can't put all the game's settings all the way up?" isn't outrageous or without some basis in logic and sense. But there is also a lot of truth in the idea that AA is slowly becoming more obsolete. We use antialiasing to hide the obvious size of the pixels on the screen, but as displays have greater and greater pixel density, AA is having less and less of a benefit, while being increasingly demanding.

So, yeah, if you've got a 4K display, that's probably the first thing you should do if you're not hitting 60fps. Turn off AA. Because it's a very demanding feature that you may not even need to be using.

Status
Not open for further replies.