Nvidia GeForce GTX 460: The Fermi We Were Waiting For

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpladirector

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Thank you Chris for the informative article.

New sytem build recently: I have the Asus M4A89gtd Pro/USB3 motherboard that supports CrossfireX and I just bought a single Gigabyte 460 Fermi 768mb version. Initially I wanted a 5xxx series board and to crossfire it later, but the 5850 (would have got the Powercolor $300) is too expensive compared to my $190(free shipping)and is beaten in some benchmarks.

I guess I have to wait for the 6xxx series as I could not wait for the price drop in the 5xxx series. If only I had an SLI board.

G

Just a link to another site without any comments / discussion about our article here is technically spam.

Iv'e deleted the post.

You have been warned sun0000 ... one warning is all you will get.

Next time a ban and supress buddy.

andy o

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Just in case, bitstreaming IS working, with ffdshow. It's the crappy commercial players that need updating every time another card with the protected audio path comes out.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]bpladirector[/nom]Hi I am wondering, how reliable are these benchmarks?http://www.guru3d.com/article/gefo [...] -review/17The benchmarks here (fro several different 460 cards)seem very different.Can I trust Toms benchmarking?[/citation]

you can always trust toms :D

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Wonder if they'll ever release a GTX 440. :) Because I'm still on Geforce 4 MX 440. Ha. So many Geforce generations missed...

I think GTX 460 is more than adequate for a 1680x1050 resolution (coincidentally the standard res for most 120 Hz 3D-capable monitors). Just don't be greedy on the CPU. If CPU matters less with larger resolutions you definitely need a good one to be as close as possible to the benchmarks here.

Speaking of which, you should always check the testing configuration, either here or on other benchamrk sites. Tom's used a Core i7-980X so yeah... Substract 5-15 FPS - which could be like 20% decrease if it's running at 45-60 FPS here (well, that 980X ain't cheap either so the performance loss for much less cash could be well justified). Just don't expect the card to perform Exactly like on Tom's Hardware if your rolling with a PII 266 MHz.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]I meant don't be stingy on the CPU.Damn. When's Tom gonna add a frigging edit button ![/citation]

click "Read the comments on the forums" and you can edit your message there

andy o

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
It's also been confirmed that bitstreaming is working with WinDVD 2010. WinDVD also surprised by its ability to bitstream without needing updates when the ATI 5000 series came out. It's over-protective software like PowerDVD and Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theatre which apparently have to be updated themselves to work with new PAP-capable hardware.

And again, ffdshow also works for bitstreaming. Just to be clear, there's no driver update from Nvidia needed for bitstreaming HD disc audio. Bitstreaming is already fully enabled.

madyar

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]the 5830 i think is a better card, hell you can get a 5770 super-clock it and thats the same speed as a GTX460 for a fraction of the price![/citation]

hi every body

sir you are wrong a 5570 is ever weaker than a GTX 260 216sp

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
This almost makes me angy about my gtx 470 purchase. Almost. I don't mind the noise and heat, however, with a very silent case... But... now the 460 is looking like a nice upgrade on my "office" pc that is currently housing a 9800 GT.

Curious to see if the slim 350W psu (Antek 1280 case) will be okay with it though :)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]Tom's used a Core i7-980X so yeah... Substract 5-15 FPS - which could be like 20% decrease if it's running at 45-60 FPS here (well, that 980X ain't cheap either so the performance loss for much less cash could be well justified).[/citation]
...that's not necessarily true. It's just a vast oversimplification.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I hope your future article shows the overclocking potential of these cards in SLI. I'm thinking of getting 1 now and a second later, but would like to see the results of OCing and SLI and how they run games.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I'd love to know if, apart from DX11, is it worth upgrading from a GTX-275? I mean, would DX9 ad DX10 games benefit from such an upgrade? Is it pretty much a horizontal move? I can't find any comparisons out there yet. Lot's of people upgrading from the 8800 and the 9800 but nobody really commenting on upgrading from one of the better 200's.

niknikktm

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
With 3D Vision and Blu-Ray 3D functionality, this card may be the perfect choice for a high-end HTPC build. I'm in the process of building my "ultimate" HTPC and find 3D Blu-Ray functionality very attractive to go with my new 3D LCD TV.

I really would like to know just how "quiet" that fan really is though.

hangfirew8

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
omnimodis78 "I'd love to know if, apart from DX11, is it worth upgrading from a GTX-275? I mean, would DX9 ad DX10 games benefit from such an upgrade? Is it pretty much a horizontal move? I can't find any comparisons out there yet. Lot's of people upgrading from the 8800 and the 9800 but nobody really commenting on upgrading from one of the better 200's."

Too bad Tom's denied us this knowledge by only testing against latest generation cards. This is something they only occasionally get right but other sites are getting right more and more. Before we upgrade, we need to know not only what is best price/performance, but is it worth it over what we have.

As another GTX 275 owner, my opinion is "no". Yes, the 460 is faster, No, its not worth an upgrade. Head over to AT's Bench to compare.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]hangfirew8[/nom]omnimodis78 "I'd love to know if, apart from DX11, is it worth upgrading from a GTX-275? I mean, would DX9 ad DX10 games benefit from such an upgrade? Is it pretty much a horizontal move? I can't find any comparisons out there yet. Lot's of people upgrading from the 8800 and the 9800 but nobody really commenting on upgrading from one of the better 200's."Too bad Tom's denied us this knowledge by only testing against latest generation cards. This is something they only occasionally get right but other sites are getting right more and more. Before we upgrade, we need to know not only what is best price/performance, but is it worth it over what we have.As another GTX 275 owner, my opinion is "no". Yes, the 460 is faster, No, its not worth an upgrade. Head over to AT's Bench to compare.[/citation]
There is a comprehensive chart that Tom's gathers that ranks the graphics cards in a hierarchy, nvidia on one side, ati on the other. The general rule of thumb is that if the card you're looking at is 3 or more "steps" above the card you currently own, it is worth the upgrade. Having used that chart for the past two upgrades now, I can safely say that its pretty true. A single step up is barely noticeably different, or only different on a few niche games. Two steps up is a difference that is noticeable, but you're usually paying hundreds of dollars for a minor improvement. 3 steps up usually does feel worth it; at least in the case of spending $200-$300 or more. But, your mileage may vary.

G

Hey i'm planning on upgrading my graphics card to either a HD Radeon 5780 or a GTX 260,but i wanna know if when change PSU from a 300 wat to a 700 or a 800 i would be able to handle anyone of these card with any problems.My specs are AMD Phenom Quad core 2.2ghz,3gig and a Nvidia Geforce 8500 256MB.

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I may have 8800GTX SLI going belly up.
I'm interested in the 460, but can any of you folk tell me anything about the GTX280.
I cant get a proper comparison as the benchmarks keep changing.
My 8800's are both watercooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.