Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti Review: Bridging The Budget Gap

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

have neither gts450 or gtx460. just a gt430 so this card should make a big difference for my setup. amd 955, 8gb 1600 ram and 650 psu.

dragonx_08

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
5770/6770 suck i had one for xmas and it broke after a few weeks so it was faulty im always ginna go with nvidia cards and who cares how loud the fan is during gaming most ppl play music while gaming anyway gtx 460 or 550 ti get either there both good and alot better than my 8800gt

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Sorry, but that's a little flaky. I've got a Ti4200-8x in a box that I used for a year and has shader issues, and I had a modded R9800 that lasted four years at XT clocks before it gave up the ghost, but neither experience makes one company better than the other. Your beef should be more with the card manufacturer than with whoever made the GPU.

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
ive recently replaced my sapphire HD5750 with the asus GTX550ti and im impressed with the results.... i wasnt expecting massive improvements however all games seem to run smoother especially far cry 2 and metro 2033...
i can understand the comments above,however i was lucky enough to get my asus GTX550ti for under £80 so with the GTX460 costing £135 it made sense to go with the GTX550ti.... and as i mentioned it runs all games pretty smoothly at medium to high detail settings
at the end of the day we can debate the pro,s and cons of each card.. but if it does what you need to it do and you can snap up a good deal like me its a job well done .....

nashismo

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
This review is so stupid! I have the 550ti, and I had the 5770. The 550ti kicks the *** out of the 5770 when it comes to antialiasing.

Tomshardware really need to benchmark using AA! And I bought mt 550ti for $100 :)

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]nashismo[/nom]This review is so stupid! I have the 550ti, and I had the 5770. The 550ti kicks the *** out of the 5770 when it comes to antialiasing. Tomshardware really need to benchmark using AA! And I bought mt 550ti for $100[/citation]

Your post is silly. The 550 Ti does *not* 'kick the ***' out of the 5770 with AA enabled. What are you basing that on? Where's your evidence?

It's moot anyway. since the vastly superior Radeon HD 7770 can be had for as little as $100 after rebates, and it actually does beat the 550 Ti hard... ;)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-24.html

nashismo

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

My evidence is my own experience with both cards, Why would that be silly? Using the same resolution in both, and the same games (1360x768), while the framerates are similar in both cards (5770 and 550ti), the 5770 falls to low FPS when AA is enabled, and the Nvidia solution stays almost at the same FPS using the same amount of AA. The game I remember testing this with is Bad Company 2.

You can check Hardware Canucks or Guru3d to check the "evidence" here, look at the second screen when using 4x AA:

www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/41590-nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti-1gb-review-8.html

And remember, I was talking about the 550ti vs the 5770 NOT vs the 7770, which in my country is about 190 dollars, definetely not in the same price range, so "your argument" is "moot". The 550ti is competing against the 7750 in price, here in Chile and everywhere else, which by the way the 550ti beats "hard". And yes I have Internet, don't live in a Hut, and speak many languages besides my own.

I will go now to read some experienced and well trusted "real" review sites "cough""

cleeve

Illustrious

Um... That *is* silly.
All of the frame rates in those examples are below playable 25 FPS. It's a theoretical win, not a "hard" one.

I don't remember "discussing" your "living accommodations", "country", or "language" so I'm not sure how that's "relevant" to the "argument".

As far as the 550 Ti beating the 7750... probably not, since AMD's recent driver updates at least. Remember, the 7000 series has come a long way since launch. The 7970 used to struggle against the 670, and now it beats the 680 on average. GCN has been optimized after a rocky start.

Regardless, we can't cover pricing in every country on the planet. We cover North American pricing. If prices in your region are different, choose appropriately.

nashismo

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

North American prices don't differ that much, here everything is exactly 20% more expensive, AMD and Nvidia alike, so please, don't take for me for an ignorant, that's why I said I also had Internet and didn't live in a hut (was being sarcastic).

You disappoint me though, you gave no valid argument with any share of real evidence like I did, and didn't accept my own evidence as something valid or to be believed (less than 25 fps? The average in those screens were 34...). No use in talking or arguing with people who cannot see beyond their own opinion.

You know where I will be going know Mr. Hardware Editor, to a real review site :hello:

cleeve

Illustrious

You must have missed it, read it again chief. I addressed your point directly with a valid argument.

Perhaps you can't understand? If you need me to connect the dots, OK:

Average frame rates can be misleading, and MINIMUMS are key.
At 4xAA (try to remember your argument was AA performance), the frame rate dips to 22 FPS.

22 FPS is playable for you?

I have a higher standard of playable I guess. I prefer frame rates to be smooth, not choppy and skip when the action happens. ;)

We can agree on that at least.

You threatened that in your last post, yet here you are... I can only conclude that Tom's Hardware is the "trusted", and 'Real" review site you're looking for.

Glad to have you back! That didn't take long. :D

Scotty doesnt know

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Just installed my sons card into my pc (replaced gt220) BSOD, after checking the goss' on the internet upgraded the PSU to Antec 750W. Still BSOD, after hours of internet study & different attempts/changes have come to the conclusion that my love affair of many years with Nvidia has come to an end. Want to know why just read the mega posts of pain caused to so many users with similar problems. Yes the card still works on my sons system & my old GT220 works on mine but reading the internet calls for help it seems the 500 & 600 series randomly refuse to work on many PCs & there are very few "solved" issues. Shame on you nVidia, you used to be so good :(

Status
Not open for further replies.