Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti vs AMD Radeon HD 7950

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShardTheOwl

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
So I am going to build a Gaming PC soon, and I've been having some trouble deciding between the 2. I've heard there were driver issues and that the fan is loud and it gets hot easily with the 7950? I don't know which one I should get, lots of people seem to reccomend the 7950 over the 660 Ti.

Solution

Well the two cards are powerful enough that choosing one or the other won't make a difference at all on your gameplay in these games.

However, I think games might begin to be more optimized for ATI cards in the near future, because both the PS4 and the Xbox 720 will use ATI cards. Developers tend to first develop games with consoles in mind (because that's where most of their profits come from), and then make adjustments for PC versions, so PC versions of the games might also be more optimized for ATI tech (and might use more of the GPGPU capacities of ATI cards for example, which Nvidia cards don't have as much). Just my opinion.

Those would be TressFX, which is so far looking pretty awesome and less bloody gimmicky than PhysX. PhysX does not even make sense in some game where the effect is actually annoying and just cluttering.

One more thing, ATI is dead and gone. Its AMD.

Safe Choices:
MSI Twin Frozr 3
Asus DC2
HIS IceQ
Sapphire Dual-X

Choices that may teeter depending on preference:
Gigabyte Windforce(heard its moderately loud)
XFX(good long warranty period, cooler is subpar compared to competitors)
Sapphire Vapor-X(if you get one that's either a) voltage locked or b) bad vram cooling. if its not a or b, then its a great card)

I agree with this, Dual-X then IceQ versions then MSI TF versions then finally comes Asus. Why is Asus last you ask? Its large, and is probably the most expensive one in the lot for not much extra.

sorta on the same boat but different pros and cons for the asus card. Asus will tend to be the quietest of the bunch with its large heatsink. disadvantage(which also is shared with sapphire as well) as they are terrible with RMA's if there would be a point where the gpu crapped out on the user.

RMA in South Africa is bad in general. Waiting times of 2 weeks at best. So yeah, I would not know.

if its online, then it depends on where you live, because sites will tax you if they own a facility in your state(for instance, california has a newegg/NCIX/Amazon factory and get taxed on this site, TigerDirect Doesn't)

The cheapest is after rebate are usually Sapphire Dual-X. Sometimes its the HIS IceQ. So yeah, choose between them.

The MSI TF HD7950s are actually quite hard to find at the moment. So considering that its an easy choice.

If you ahve a well ventilated case and prefer quieter operation, the Sapphire Dual-X, if you want something that blows hot air of the GPU directly out of the case that is a bit louder, the IceQ. So yeah.

ShardTheOwl

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013

I live in Massachusetts