Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 Graphics Cards Vendor Roundup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I don't get it, whats the problem with the smaller companies, they should lower the price! You can see in many websites such as newegg... at the same price range, ppl will buy from the "better/famous/old" manufacturer. Just see the numbers, ppl are going EVGA all the way, same price, EVGA o/
just like that...

monsta

Splendid
[citation][nom]Devastater6194[/nom]Why are two of them limited to only 2 way SLI? I swear the reference is 4 way capable?!?[/citation]
The reference cards are 4 way capable , the after market ones like the Gainward Phantom II and Palit Jetstream are limited to 2 way SLI due to their size.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Need Asus to come out a Sabertooth TUF version of GPU with a full 5yr warranty across the world.

With Console port these days, I am positive GTX680 performance can last for 5yrs for most games. I got no high hopes for 2013-2014 next gen consoles.

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
EVGA has always been my brand of choice when it comes to motherboards and video cards, usually providing great support and top quality products.

That said, when I went choosing which GTX680 graphics card to buy, I couldn't have been more disappointed to see that Windows XP 64 drivers weren't available for the card from EVGA (or NVIDIA).

Then I went to MSI's site and was pleased to see they had followed the logical path: instead of providing drivers for Windows Vista and 7, considering that Vista has the lowest market share of all Windows versions, they were smart enough to ignore VistaTrash and release Windows 7 and in-house developed XP 32 and 64-bit drivers for their GTX680 card.

Perhaps the other manufactures should get a grip on reality and read OPSWAT's latest quarterly report released on March 12:

"OPSWAT also reported that Windows 7 usage is almost as high as XP in both North America and worldwide, while usage of Windows Vista is far behind, at six percent or less in both markets. Windows 7 is close to overtaking XP, while Vista is expected to drop even further in OPSWAT’s future reports."

Source: http://www.opswat.com/blog/latest-report-shows-big-gains-microsoft-antivirus-markets

That said, congratulations to MSI for their common sense, which placed them ahead of the competition and earned them a new customer.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Ephebus[/nom]EVGA has always been my brand of choice when it comes to motherboards and video cards, usually providing great support and top quality products.That said, when I went choosing which GTX680 graphics card to buy, I couldn't have been more disappointed to see that Windows XP 64 drivers weren't available for the card from EVGA (or NVIDIA). Then I went to MSI's site and was pleased to see they had followed the logical path: instead of providing drivers for Windows Vista and 7, considering that Vista has the lowest market share of all Windows versions, they were smart enough to ignore VistaTrash and release Windows 7 and in-house developed XP 32 and 64-bit drivers for their GTX680 card.Perhaps the other manufactures should get a grip on reality and read OPSWAT's latest quarterly report released on March 12:"OPSWAT also reported that Windows 7 usage is almost as high as XP in both North America and worldwide, while usage of Windows Vista is far behind, at six percent or less in both markets. Windows 7 is close to overtaking XP, while Vista is expected to drop even further in OPSWAT’s future reports."Source: http://www.opswat.com/blog/latest- [...] us-marketsThat said, congratulations to MSI for their common sense, which placed them ahead of the competition and earned them a new customer.[/citation]

64 Bit 7 is a lot more common than 64 bit Windows XP. Windows 7 64 bit is on quite a few devices, where as Windows XP 32 bit consumes the majority of XP devices.

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]64 Bit 7 is a lot more common than 64 bit Windows XP. Windows 7 64 bit is on quite a few devices, where as Windows XP 32 bit consumes the majority of XP devices.[/citation]

That's true, but they haven't provided drivers for XP 32 either. No matter what anyone thinks or dislikes about XP, the reality is that not supporting it means losing massive market share (ex. IE 9).

vakuma5000

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Who in their right mind would purchase a gtx680 and run it on 32-bit windows XP?? Running a gtx680 and NOT having a directx11 capable OS is treason!!! Get Windows 7 already......

[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]Update your charts, pls. I'm still not seeing the 680 on several of the GPGPU charts.[/citation]

For double precision GPGPU work, the 680 is about as good as a GTX 460 or 470. It's a lot better for single precision. The 680 has a 1 to 24 DP to SP ratio, contrary to the GTX 580's 1 to 8 ratio and according to it's review by Tom's it would take two 680s to match a 580 in DP compute performance.

[citation][nom]vakuma5000[/nom]Who in their right mind would purchase a gtx680 and run it on 32-bit windows XP?? Running a gtx680 and NOT having a directx11 capable OS is treason!!! Get Windows 7 already......[/citation]

You can install DX 10.1 and DX11 support on Windows XP through third party programs. It's very easy. I don't know if x64 XP can do it, but I've done it on X32 XP without any problems and confirmed DX11 being in use in games that support it.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]noobalert[/nom]order one of the PNY's last weekend from the PNY online shop, It arrived this past Wednesday Cost me around $550 with 2day shipping. I now see they want $579.99 +shipping good luck with that, but they're probably the only vendor online sill with stock on hand right now.I refused the shipment at the door, in hopes that the 4gig versions will arrive sooner then previously projected. Fingers Crossed[/citation]

you culd get a 6 pci x mobo

franky4ro

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
I like the Gainward GHX 680 Phantom 2 ... it looks awsome:D...ut cnsidering here in Europe will be almost 580 Euro...auchhh...but still i will buy it..better than the 570 or 580 phantom

weirdoweirdo

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
There are new releases as i just saw the MSI GTX 680 Twin frozr III, I think they are approaching to get who will lead the market in this model before nVidia releases GK110 based GPU's, or best said Gtx 700 series. It's my opinion. I've seen a good selling between Evga and Zotac

rafael_1414

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
FYI: the Geforce GTX 680 has a ‘stuttering’ problem. The seriousness of this problem depends on the version of the driver software, in game settings and other hardware but the problem is persistent.

At times a game will stutter, even though the FPS without vsync is 100+. Depending on the game and how you play, this can be very distracting and annoying.

If you’re planning to upgrade, it might be worthwile to wait until this problem is fixed.

More information on this problem at the GTX 680 subforum at geforce.com.

G

Nvidia 680, try to buy a few for weeks now, nobody has any in stock. Even on eBay there are only a handfull available (with 35% over list price)
Never had that problem with Nvidia cards. Seems it will take at least 3 month before stores actually able to ship them.
Wierd part is, they release Nvidia 690 even 680 is nowhere in sight to get.

Obie327

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Lol.., I realize this is an old thread. I bought the Zotac 680 on launch day and running smooth and flawless as of this writing. Great card worth every penny :) . Another thing I've started to see is with Zotac is their products are of good quality and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.