Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Review: Titan’s Baby Brother Is Born

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordvr

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
How does phys X or the lack thereof impact gaming? Like, I remember in Batman Arkham Asylum / City there were some cool physics effects that I turned off because I had an AMD card. Do amd cards fail in performance if the game is specifically designed to use phys X?

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

i think yes. i heard some where that your performance or the quality of the physX will automaticly drop down when used an AMD card.

Uhhhh .... No.

Titan is a cut-down K2 that for whatever reason did not pass the necessary **HPC** design standards set forth by nVidia.

If I recall correctly, nVidia got into a rather substantial p'ing contest with TSMC over process and yield on the cards, too.

What are you trying to say? The full GK110 GPU has 15 SMXs with 192 shaders each, totalling 2880 shaders. The GTX Titan has one of the SMXes deactivated, so it has 14 * 192 = 2688 shaders. The GTX 780 has another two SMXes deactivated, so it ends up with 12 * 192 = 2304 shaders.

hannibal

Distinguished

[citation][nom]unknown9122[/nom]It said under testing methodology. They used 13.5 beta 2 for AMD cards and the 320.18 for nVidia.[/citation]

Thanks. That's gotta sting. Been trying to toss AMD some $ wherever I can, but looks like my pair of 7850's might be headed out to pay for a couple of 660's. Hopefully AMD can better work out the frame latency (and maybe pack the metering down into hardware like Nvidia did)

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

Venusian year?

Netspirit

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Can someone explain to me why is it, that the 7980 is recommended in Crossfire i System Builder Marathon Q4 2012, and the 7870 in Crossfire in Q1 2013, even though it seems like Crossfire is a waste of money according to the practical FPS in games cf. the Multi-GPU Results? :)
Is Crossfire really such a bad investment?

Because of the microstutter issues, crossfire is a bad investment. I had this problem with crossfire three years ago and AMD is just now publically addressing it. I would consider crossfire a bad investment until AMD can prove they care enough about their crossfire customers to fix the issue.

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

but that would be useful for venusian's and i dont think venusians have radeon HD 7970Ghz edition. they either have 7970 Mhz edition or 7970 Thz editon. or maybe 7970 Khz edition.

NVIDIA Sucks when it comes to naming GPUs. They did it with the GTX 650Ti Boost. It disappointed many users of the 650Ti ( Especially the ones who bought it recently ) They did it again with the GTX 780 , with another mistake - Release Date and Specs. They should have launched the same thing but call it something like Value Titan or Titan VE. It will fury The user's who bought the Titan , As the GTX 780 in SLI causes a 400-500 Max Price increase , but will give a double power and outperform the Titan by miles. Also with the owerpowered specs , it sucks more. They should have given it 2000 or below CUDA Cores. This will make the Titan useless. If they would have launched along with the 700 Series , it would have made much specs. Also it reduces the chances of a newer architecture. Anyways , I think they did it since only crazy and rich guys had the Titans. NVIDIA has been doing it. It still proves that NVIDIA does not care about people and the feeling like that sucks. Thats why I hate them alot. AMD atleast cares about customer's and releases GPU's when necessary. Unlike NVIDIA who just release anything shit that they can .

Maybe you should ask the next one you meet, and ask them how the heck they got here while your at it.

Ha Ha! I just installed my 780s and fired up Battlefield 3 only to find all my stats entirely reset and my dude back to level 0. I fired up the game and it looked great, but all I had were the beginning weapons. Went to the Origin/EA support forum and this is at the top of their problem list after the BF3 server update from last night. Trying Crysis 3...

Nathaniel Lewis

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Well the reason the new GTX cards don't really change their double precision performance is because they are aimed at the gaming market. Video games generally use single precision floats because its all that is required in most cases. However for the scientific and video community, we're using double and quad floats a lot, so it makes sense that their Tesla turned gaming card, the GTX Titan, has more double precision floating point performance than the GTX Line. And the Tesla itself has a lot more than that.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I've long said they have been holding back the big guns. They released the GTX 680 in 2012 and I didn't bite because I knew they were holding back. Then a year later they release the Titan and if it had equaled the output of SLI GTX 680's I would have bit but it was only around 15-25% faster than a single GTX 680 at double the price and out performed by SLI 680's except in compute at the same price, so no bitey. In the mad rush for the Titans I picked up a GTX 690 for $800 and I'm good to go until Nvidia launches something really revolutionary instead of this poker game they are playing.

I thought you already had 2 680's in SLI why upgrade ?

I admit. I have an illness. I justify this by maximizing the resale value of the last gen's x80 cards. I get a little more than one of the new-gen cards paid for through selling the last gen. If I waited another gen to sell my 680s, I wouldn't get as much for them, etc... The sickness consumes me. This is how I justify it all in my own head, even though it's so wrong. The 680s were fine. Now, I'm probably going to be forced to buy 3 Asus 144Hz monitors pretty soon.

That being said... As they should, these 780s push the limits of my 120Hz monitor with everything I play now (exception Crysis 3) on full details/AA/AF everything. The good thing is tearing is very hard to notice beyond the 120Hz mark. My Crysis 3 averages 70s are now where my maximums used to be and my minimums 40s are where my averages used to be with everything at full-tilt. It does make a difference with this game.

Well that's o.k. if you can sell the 680's easy.I say why not i was just curious as to why you did that.Thanks for explaining :)

Status
Not open for further replies.