Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Launch Date, Pricing and Benchmarks Leaked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018

Except that has never been a thing until this generation. The 960 and the 1060 had the same MSRP on release. The 760 was $250 and the 660 was $229. (edited out the 860 because I don't know what I was thinking) Suddenly jumping from $200 to $350 on a mid tier card is not normal and should not be considered normal. Also, their cards always release at well over MSRP.

stdragon

Admirable

In theory, the GTX (non-RTX) 2070 card (1170??) should be the sweet-spot in most high-end gaming. All the performance of a 1080ti for a similar price without the need for the 1st-gen RTX fluff (I have no need for it at those abysmal FPS rates in a xx70 series)

Well, that part at least is wrong. The rest, probably right. There never WAS a GTX 860. There was a GTX 760 and a 960, there was never an 860 except the 860m for mobile devices. At least that I'm aware of. Maybe in a parallel universe or underground H.G. Wells world. LOL.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Nvidia has created an expectation of what their video cards should be priced at based on their numbering convention. The x80 cards should be $500, the x70 cards should be $400, and the x60 cards should be $250.

Nvidia showed us that they're not sticking with those prices when they launched Turing a few months ago. Everyone was outraged with the 2080Ti's price, everyone was outraged with the 2080's price, and everyone was outraged with 2070's price.

I know that the pricing sucks but Nvidia has already telegraphed the lack of added value over Pascal in their Turing cards. I've heard rumors about an RTX 2050 recently. When that card launches in a few months its going to have no added value either. Its silly to still be angry about the lame pricing when we all saw it coming months in advance.

What's silly is Nvidia try to hold onto this kind of ridiculous pricing when there is NO longer a high demand for graphics cards like there was during the mining craze, and your stock is in the toilet. You price your cards reasonably affordable where you can still make a fair profit off them, as with past generations, and you sell them. The ONLY reason they are doing this right now is because there is a such a glut of last generation cards and they want them to be sold before they drop the prices on Turing cards to the expected levels at or near MSRP.

It's their own fault, and what they SHOULD do is make the price of these cards normal, and offer a serious discount on last gen hardware to get rid of it. That way, EVERYTHING sells, investors gain confidence and everybody is happy. They keep thinking they know what they are doing and they are going to end up like a lot of other companies that thought they were too big to ever implode but are nowhere to be found now.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018

Oh god I think I have one of the Berenstain bears things going on right now. Anyways, you are definitely right, but the point still stands. The 760 was $250 msrp.

PuperHacker

Honorable
It doesn't make sense to have a 30% improvement over the gtx1060 6GB and be on par with the gtx1070ti. It would be far too close to the RTX2070, which reminds me of the gtx1070ti/gtx1080 fight last year... Also, the price is also a sign that they are abusing their monopoly.

Tanyac

Reputable
Whilst I concur with all the comments about insane prices, which will be as much as double here, if not more, there is only one way to deal with this.

Don';t buy the damn card. Unless your existing card fails out of warranty and you absolutely cannot get a replacement 9 or 10 series, we should always vote with our wallet. If the cards won't sell surely they'd have to consider dropping the prices to a point where sales increases? I'm probably being idealistic.

The sad thing is, people will complain about the pricing, the deliberate lack of availability and lack of performance evolution - but they will still go out and buy the damn things.

I have 10 PCs here. All are on 10 series, and none with less than 6GB GDDR. I won't be buying any new graphics card until at least 2022. Hopefully by that time AMD has something to offer.

As for Intel, they are greedy too so I don't have any faith whatsoever that they will result in better pricing from either them or nVidia.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I like where your heart's at but this advice is ineffective. Turing is a really cool technology but they don't offer good value so they're not appealing to a part time janitor in a nursing home. Meanwhile, Facebook executives don't even flinch in the face of a $1200 price tag. If you can afford an RTX 2080 Ti then pick one up by all means. Why boycott a product when the price is a non-issue for you?

"I want to outfit all of my gaming PCs on the 3rd floor of my mansion with Turing Titans but I feel bad some college kid can't afford it so I guess I should punish myself." That just doesn't make sense.

Every company is greedy. Our lord and savior AMD is greedy. They sell their products to make most profit possible. If Intel wants their cards to appeal to a wide audience then they'll be priced accordingly. Meanwhile if they develop video cards for AI server use, then we'll see ridiculous price tags. It all depends on what the competition is offering. That's the game Intel plays, its the game Nvidia plays, and you can bet AMD is player 3.