Review Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 Review: Theoretically Mainstream

If found at MSRP and the card is not a joke manufacturer, then this card is not terrible!

I can't believe this is actually a compelling card at that price point, yikes!

Alas, as mentioned, good luck finding it at or even near MSRP... Sigh...

Regards.

Reactions: VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
The sad reality of today's new GPUs:

1. RX 6500 XT, a pretty bad GPU even at $200 MSRP and worse at $270 which is where it currently sits.

2. RTX 3050 a regression at $250 MSRP based on pre-2019 prices and offerings, but an OK-ish one in current market... BUT most likely will cost above $400 and actually $500 at which point, the better GPU to buy is the RX 6600. No debate here at all.

3. Save us intel with Arc!? (can't believe it has come to this, :ROFLMAO:)

I would be surprised if intel Arc stays close to it's MSRP in these times, despite them being "new" on the discrete GPU market. I fear the dire situation + intel badge will make them as expensive as Radeon, at least... maybe not nvidia level "expensive", but still bad enough price wise. I hope I'm wrong about this pessimistic prediction, though...

InvalidError

Titan
3. Save us intel with Arc!? (can't believe it has come to this, :ROFLMAO:)
Still manufactured at TSMC, still needs VRM bits, still needs GDDR6 chips, still needs parts to get shipped around for assembly and other expensive bits that are responsible for raising the baseline cost of new GPUs by ~$70. Unless Intel is willing to eat losses to seed the market, DG2 will likely start from $200 for the lowest-end model. Leaked benchmarks indicate that DG2 has yummy double and quad precision performance for big-number crunchers.

Reactions: RodroX
Still manufactured at TSMC, still needs VRM bits, still needs GDDR6 chips, still needs parts to get shipped around for assembly and other expensive bits that are responsible for raising the baseline cost of new GPUs by ~$70. Unless Intel is willing to eat losses to seed the market, DG2 will likely start from $200 for the lowest-end model. Leaked benchmarks indicate that DG2 has yummy double and quad precision performance for big-number crunchers.
Yup, and I strongly suspect Intel's base level Arc cards will end up competing more with the RX 6500 XT rather than the RTX 3050. In fact, I will be very surprised if the 128 EU/Vector Engine cards (assuming they have 4GB VRAM) can actually beat the RX 6500 XT. We'll know in the next couple of months, but the design sort of feels like beefed up Intel GPU with really weak RT capabilities plus some tensor cores for XeSS. Probably designed more for datacenter but then funneled over into the consumer sector. Raw 64-bit and 128-bit compute might be better than anything AMD and Nvidia offer for the price, but in games, FP64 and FP128 are totally irrelevant.

InvalidError

Titan
Probably designed more for datacenter but then funneled over into the consumer sector. Raw 64-bit and 128-bit compute might be better than anything AMD and Nvidia offer for the price, but in games, FP64 and FP128 are totally irrelevant.
They are all designing their chips with datacenter-first in mind since that is where the biggest bucks per wafer are. Intel being the newest kid on the block has a vested interest in letting potential customers for its pile-of-tiles megaliths sample what small-scale Xe can do on GPUs by not sacrificing its double/quad performance on the altar of market segmentation. Yet.

Pirx73

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
Goes for 2xMSRP in my country - 500+ €. I hate to be right :(
Same with 6500XT - 400+ €
@MSRP 3050 would be a decent replacement for my aging GTX970 but 2xMSRP - no way.

Last edited:
@JarredWaltonGPU , I just saw your YT review video on this card, so thanks for complementing the written piece with it.

I have to ask, as it was pointed out by the other media outlets in their videos: the EVGA card sent was the OC'ed version and not the reference clocked one (you do mention this in the written piece, but not the YT video). Did you record the YT video with the amended vBIOS? I think it would be important to note, as that OC version is $330 and not $250 and it would, unfortunately, invalidate the numbers and comparisons. In case you did mention it and I missed it, I apologize in advance.

Regards.