News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Review: Great Performance at a High Price

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Double the price for 25% more performance? Am I reading that right?
If it came with 20GB of RAM it would have been ideal. I have an RTX 3080 in an HP Omen prebuilt and all i'm reading is that if you already have an RTX 3080, it's a terrible idea to upgrade.

Then the potential upgrader needs to understand according to leaks that the RTX 4000 series should double the performance of the current 3000 series cards. Even if you don't have an RTX 3080 I still see paying a lot more for a marginal improvement over the base 3080 is a no go for me.

I mean it was obvious for current 3080 owners to not even try for this 'upgrade' but really? $1200? 300 less than a 3090?
Like why would I settle for a 3080ti if it's only 300 more dollars separating me from a 3090? The size of the damn thing? I don't understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: ingtar33

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
After reading the introduction I was disappointed that the charts did not contain the 2080ti for comparison purposes. I expected it to be there after the initial chart listed the specs of the 2080ti against the 3000 cards. As a 2080ti owner, I agree with the author that this is the first upgrade path made available to existing 2080ti owners and its inclusion in the data would have made sense. Plus, I personally would have like to see it there on the charts so I could see my current card vs all the potential upgrade paths into the newest generation of cards from AMD and NVIDIA ;-P

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I mean it was obvious for current 3080 owners to not even try for this 'upgrade' but really? $1200? 200 less than a 3090?
Like why would I settle for a 3080ti if it's only 200 more dollars separating me from a 3090? The size of the damn thing? I don't understand.
Where are you getting a 3090 for $1400? The original MSRP was $1500 for the FE edition. If you can't get one of those, the aftermarket starts around $2000. Ebay, you're looking at over $3000.

Reactions: Krotow
After reading the introduction I was disappointed that the charts did not contain the 2080ti for comparison purposes. I expected it to be there after the initial chart listed the specs of the 2080ti against the 3000 cards. As a 2080ti owner, I agree with the author that this is the first upgrade path made available to existing 2080ti owners and its inclusion in the data would have made sense. Plus, I personally would have like to see it there on the charts so I could see my current card vs all the potential upgrade paths into the newest generation of cards from AMD and NVIDIA ;-P
So the problems were numerous. I moved from Washington to Colorado during the past two weeks, which meant packing everything up and trucking 1400 miles. Then I picked up a stomach flu during the trip and spent all of last weekend feeling awful. (Not Covid, I got tested and I'm vaccinated, but still... not a good way to try and move!)

And we don't actually have a home to move into just yet -- we're staying at relatives for the next week, and should moving into our home after that. Which means a bunch of my hardware is packed up and in a storage unit right now, including all the RTX 20-series cards. I have data for RTX 2080 Ti on nine of the games -- the ones we use in the GPU hierarchy -- but wasn't able to pull out the hardware for additional testing. Not that I had time anyway, since I went to bed at 3am after a 20-hour crunch fest.

Anyway, here's a head-to-head comparison of 3080 Ti and 2080 Ti. This one shows medium quality performance as well, though I wouldn't pay as much attention to those numbers.

Reactions: vinay2070

Giroro

Splendid
Nvidia simply didn't have any space in their product stack for this card. There may be a massive gap in pricing between a 3080 and 3090, but there is a very minimal difference in gaming performance. In that case you are paying over double the price for a ~11% improvement at 1440p.
Paying 70% more for an 8% gaming improvement still is not anywhere in the galaxy of worthwhile.
It's clear that there was already a 3080 Ti on the market, they just happened to call it RTX 3080. Wedging a third Halo product between their two other halo products only makes the smallest iota of sense in our current "everybody panic buy everything all the time" economy.
To wit, Nvidia actually showed some restraint, considering they could have called this card an RTX 3090 12G, and still sold out with an MSRP of $1489.99

Reactions: LeighPing
Hm... 3080 ti for "3080 total idiocy" edition.

If you're one that can buy Ferraris or any other luxury type of goods, enjoy it, I guess.

Also, it can't beat the 6900XT consistently either and I'm sure that 12GB VRAM is going to make it squeal sooner rather than later at 4K.

I wish you guys could test VR games!

Cheers!

Reactions: ingtar33

Oldcompsci

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
Who cares, if they are made with non-obtanium the availability and cost of any graphics cards is rediculous right now ... if vendors want to innovate, I'd recommend they innovate in upping production rates.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Micron recently updated the temperature range for GDDR6X to 105C...
Imma stick with the original 95C suggestion though.

But wow, this card... that price... higher profits per die sold compared to 3080 and 3090... and they know they're going to sell through all of them...
The mining limiter doesn't do enough - Ether and its alternatives are still profitable; more gpus still equals more money.

Most reviews have a negative opinion of this card - big surprise.

There's like a year and 3 months to go for this generation. Good luck to everyone choosing to ride out this storm with their older hardware.

:whistle:

Reactions: dennphill
Jun 2, 2021
Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3080 Ti delivers similar performance to the RTX 3090 at a slightly lower price, targeting enthusiast gamers rather than professionals. The Founders Edition cooler struggled to keep up during testing.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Review: Great Performance at a High Price : Read more

Does any of this really matter? There is no stock! You can't buy a 3080 or 3090 anything unless you are willing to pay 3x on the secondary market. NVidia releasing anything is moot and a joke. It has been like this since they came out 6+ months ago with no end in sight.

You all should review CRAY super computers and tell us how many frames we would get. Those are probably more attainable than any NVidia card you review.

Oct 5, 2020
Likely I got my 3080 at the original price. I feel sorry for who where waiting for the TI version and now is 300 to 500$ more expensive than before.

Reactions: Jake Hall
The 3080Ti came online in Europe at 15h00 (western European time) at prices between 1200 and 2400 euros.
As you imagine, 15 min. later not a single card still available.
It's such a joke, I really don't understand why sites as Tom'sHardware review these hardware, which everybody (besides the editor of the review) knew that they would not be available

In fact the whole thing is pretty clear: Nvidia will stop producing the older model introduced 6 months ago, for which they probably have selling contracts at MSRP.
Given the present MSRP for these new models, those buying those cards will have no choice than renewing the contracts at a much higher price.
it's the only thing that makes sense

Last edited:

dennphill

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2012
Waste of money
I'm with Jake Hall, PeachPuff and others. This is a worthless product from my viewpoint. All I need (and all I would ever pay for!) is a mid-range modern but modest GPU. I HATE that Lisa Su's solution is for me to instead get an APU - like the old days when I started building to select which CPU and which GPU I wanted instead of a pretty crippled APU from either AMD or Intel - instead of putting some low-hash-rate 6700 (or a desktop 6600 of some sort!!!) out in the marketplace. So AMD offers less of a product for an increased price! Lisa Su also thinks the solution is to just buy one of their new 'gaming' laptops - that's pretty stoopid too. (What ARE these people thinking?) I don't want to look at 15 inch screens any more....no matter how sharp and crisp the tiny picture. I will simply wait this one out. Fairly certain I WILL be able to get a 3060 or 70 - or similar - in the future.

I think the peeps from HUB put it best in this quote (paraphrasing): "if you have money to burn and you want the best of the best, then why would you even consider the 3080ti when you have the 3090 as the best of the best?".

That's it, really: this card makes absolutely no sense at that ridiculous price. Only to satisfy shareholders and screw consumers even more. IF you're looking for value: you won't look beyond a 3080, most likely. If you want the best of the best, the 3090 was launched a while ago with all bells and whistles you would want a proper flagship to have.

Cheers!

PillowOfWinds

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Double the price for 25% more performance? Am I reading that right?

It's barely faster than an overclocked 3080 (stock firmware).
Look for example at these benchmarks, EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra vs 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra:

The FPS are almost identical and the non-Ti was tested with an Intel Core i9-9900K, which is slower than AMD Ryzen 7 5800X used to test the Ti.

It's barely faster than an overclocked 3080 (stock firmware).
Look for example at these benchmarks, EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra vs 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra:

The FPS are almost identical and the non-Ti was tested with an Intel Core i9-9900K, which is slower than AMD Ryzen 7 5800X used to test the Ti.
Looooool, dang! I have a tuf 3080 OC edition with a i9900k so I think I'll be chillin until 4xxx