News Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 and GA102: Everything We Know

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Well, it's quite clear that AMD has nothing to worry about because whatever ATi comes up with (RDNA2, 3, etc.) isn't going to cost even remotely in the ballpark of $1,500-$2,000USD. I'd be surprised if it was more than $700USD. Talk about kneecapping yourself. I'm afraid that there aren't enough nVidiots in the world willing to get buggered THAT hard.

Jensen Huang has just priced himself completely out of the market. I guess the green in nVidia isn't about envy, it's about dollah-dollah-bills, y'all! Since it has been demonstrated that RDNA2 is amazing (from promotional PS5 videos that showcase ray-racing in 4K), all that AMD has to do is remember to be hungry, not greedy and they'll bury nVidia this time around (assuming that pricing is correct).

nVidiot: A fanboy who is so loyal to nVidia products that he doesn't care what it costs or how it performs as long as it's green. (See also "AMDerp" and "Intel-Challenged")

That's some fine wisdom there Jarred, it's always better to wait a bit. The only question is... How many years will it take for the price to hit a number that's "comfortable"? LOL
For people with a lot of money, or for the rest of us? LOL. I suspect by the time this reaches what I would consider a 'comfortable' price ($400-ish), we'll be three or four generations down the road.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Well, it's quite clear that AMD has nothing to worry about because whatever ATi comes up with (RDNA2, 3, etc.) isn't going to cost even remotely in the ballpark of $1,500-$2,000USD. I'd be surprised if it was more than $700USD. Talk about kneecapping yourself. I'm afraid that there aren't enough nVidiots in the world willing to get buggered THAT hard.

Jensen Huang has just priced himself completely out of the market. I guess the green in nVidia isn't about envy, it's about dollah-dollah-bills, y'all! Since it has been demonstrated that RDNA2 is amazing (from promotional PS5 videos that showcase ray-racing in 4K), all that AMD has to do is remember to be hungry, not greedy and they'll bury nVidia this time around (assuming that pricing is correct).

nVidiot: A fanboy who is so loyal to nVidia products that he doesn't care what it costs or how it performs as long as it's green. (See also "AMDerp" and "Intel-Challenged")
Gotta love Ray traced 4k @ 30fps! Lol

Reactions: Avro Arrow

SkyStormy

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
That's extremely unlikely. Because even if you take the 2080/2070/2060 Super launch, those cards came out at least six months after the initial non-Super GPU. To be specific:

2060 Super came out six months after the RTX 2060. This was purely to counter AMD's RX 5700/5700 XT launch. (Also, price was $50 higher.)
2070 Super release was nine months after the RTX 2070.
2080 Super release was ten months after the RTX 2080.

Your 20% more performance claim is way off as well. The 2060 Super is 13% faster than the RTX 2060. The 2070 Super is 12% faster than the 2070. The 2080 Super is only 7% faster than the 2080. I suppose you could be referring to the 1660 Super, which launched seven months after the 1660. Or the 1650 Super, which came out five months after the 1650, but those are in a very different category from the RTX 3000 launch -- budget to midrange, not high-end and extreme.

Plus, the RTX 2080 Ti never got an updated 'super' version, and the 3090 is clearly going after that top-of-the-line classification. I don't think you'll see any 3000 series 'super' cards until at least 2021, if ever -- that or the Super branding will be present at launch. I'm still anticipating one of the cards being called "Ultimate" or similar, though -- RTX 3090 Ultimate would certainly make the "Ultimate Countdown" accurate.

If you think you'll buy an RTX 3090 GPU, the best advice I can give is to buy as soon as the price reaches a level you're comfortable paying -- or just don't buy it at all, because it's too expensive for your budget. For those that have the money, the RTX 2080 Ti cost $1200 at launch, and for nearly two years the only faster GPU available was the $2500 Titan RTX. I strongly suspect RTX 3090 will be the top Nvidia consumer GPU for at least a year, if not two.

Still not worth $1500-$2000, but if you must have the 'best,' that's where it's likely to hit your wallet.

Yeah 6 months and maybe a little bit more for some versions, but it's worth to wait for over 10%+ performance, and almost same price. You get more performance by waiting for at least 6 months. That's what Nvidia says for gtx 1660S version compared to gtx 1660. Super version is 20% faster than the original one, and about other one. RTX 2060S was released in Q3 of 2019, and RTX 2060 was released in Q1 in same year, RTX 2070S was released in Q3 of 2019, and RTX 2070 was released in Q4 of 2018 (at the end of the year), GTX 1650S is 40% faster than 1650, and were released in Q4, and Q2 respectively. RTX 2080S was released in Q3 of 2019, and RTX 2080 in Q4 of 2018, and about prices? There is no a huge difference. You can easily spend 10 to 20 dollars more and buy the super version when it's released. So there is no point of waiting for RTX 3000 until super version is out. Nvidia is going to wait until AMD released their nextgen card series, then once AMD released something out, they will release their super version for sure like they had done with GTX 16, and 20 series.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Its going to be very interesting to see the reviews of the new Nvidia GPUs. I'm hoping to see something different in the GPU reviews however as the 3090 and 3080 may be in a different situation as they may be monitor bottle necked and the high FPS at 1080 may make those reviews pointless.

1: Will and which new GPU will max out most games on a 1440 monitor at 144hz?
2: A 2080ti can't max out most games on a 4K 60hz monitor. Which new GPU is needed to max out a 60hz 4K monitor?
3: How far do the new GPUs go in saturating a $700 4K 144hz monitor or is that just a bridge too far now ?

3080 GPU @$800 vs 3090 @ $1400 vs 3090 & 4K 144hz monitor @ $2,000 vs skip them all.

Thanks for the corrections on Tiger Lake. Too may Lakes and no water to drink.

Last edited:
For people with a lot of money, or for the rest of us? LOL. I suspect by the time this reaches what I would consider a 'comfortable' price ($400-ish), we'll be three or four generations down the road.
To quote the immortal Protoss Templar.. "You think as I do!" (y)
Gotta love Ray traced 4k @ 30fps! Lol
I know, eh? It literally blows my mind how some people can take a good buggering and think that they're being loved. I think that they're called "fanboys". ;)

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
As for Tiger Lake, I'm interested in seeing how fast the K variants CPUs are when overclocked, but also how their performance changes based upon PCIe3 vs PCIe4 M.2s. Does Tiger Lake speed, performance or PCIe4 justify the cost of upgrading to a Tiger Lake I5 "K" or higher CPU & Z490 MB?
Tiger Lake are low wattage mobile CPU's. There won't be K variants and they won't work in any desktop motherboards. The desktop variant of Willow Cove will reportedly be Rocket Lake which once was thought to be on schedule for release late this year. Now, it's looking more like next year.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
If Nvidia prices this too high they will lose unit sales. In July 2020 Steam survey the 1080ti had a 1.57% market share vs just .91% for 2080ti. When released in March 2017 the 1080ti was priced at $700. whereas the 2080ti market price was around $1300 in Sept. 2018. The combined 2080 and super have a 1.7% market share priced at $700-750.

While the demand from the top end gamer is relatively inelastic with that segment willing to pay for the best, for everyone else the demand is elastic. If Nvidia gets too aggressive on pricing the 3000 series, many potential buyers especially in current economy will opt to just stay pat with their 1080ti and above which will run even a 60hz 4K or all lower resolution monitor at playable frame rates.

While the 3090 should certainly max out a 60hz 4K monitor, to take full advantage of its potential you would need to upgrade to a 144hz 4K monitor which starts at $700 . For me that is simply a bridge too far. If the 3080 is priced around $750 and offered enough performance increase to max out my existing 60hz 4K monitor then that would be a buy after initial pricing spike fades and partner cooling is available.

If you spend $2,000 plus on a 3090 and a 144 hz 4K monitor you will most likely only be half way to saturating the 144 hz and won't be able to fully saturate it until the 5090 in 4-6 years.
Releasing a Halo product does wonders for mindshare. Remember, normal consumers are idiots. That includes PCMR. All nVidia needs to do to cement their lead for the next generation is HAVE the best product. That's it. Then everyone who buys team green will walk around with their chests flared out because "they're winning so hard" even if they only have a budget card.

AMD's marketshare for GPU's hasn't really shifted.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Tiger Lake are low wattage mobile CPU's. There won't be K variants and they won't work in any desktop motherboards. The desktop variant of Willow Cove will reportedly be Rocket Lake which once was thought to be on schedule for release late this year. Now, it's looking more like next year.
Thanks for the correction on my Tiger Lake comment. Too many Lakes and no water to drink are confusing me.

Freestyle80

Reputable
Aug 11, 2020
Man, you guys really love whatever swag team green throws your way. This thing needs three 8-pin PEG connections, but Radeon VII draws too much power. You complain that it's only slightly faster than the 5700xt while ignoring that it beats the Titan RTX in compute workloads. And you're defending the idea of a $1500-2000 launch price. Tom was right, and I'll be filing this right along your 'Just buy it' article.
just like you probably love anything AMD throws your way no matter what they do

They never even defended any price fyi, if 3090 is the new Titan, its not even that bad and this is not meant for gaming anyway

I hope you know that the Titan cards is not for gaming at all

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
It has been an interesting two weeks. First you have a power supply OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) stating that they are making a cord to fit a new 12 pin power connector on the RTX 3090, and a week later nVidia confirming it. nVidia goes on the explain that the single 12 pin connector has a smaller form factor size than two 8 pin connectors, and so it allows more space for the cooling fans - in addition to explaining that even thou they have reduced the die size of the GPU it is still capable of pulling 350 WATTS!, from a 850 watt power supply (suggested minimum size).

Next, we have a memory OEM leaking details about the built-in RAM, and what the future holds.

Finally, we have seen leaks on the RTX 3070 (just a couple from the first manufacture), RTX 3080 and 3090. So it is almost confirmed (waiting until this Tuesday for nVidia to make it official) that the '90 will have 24 GB RAM, and the '80 will have 10 GB RAM now, with maybe a later version featuring 20 GB. It is suggested that the '70 will have only 8 GB of RAM. Notice how no-one has yet to see the pricing.

The specs for DirectX12 have been out for a while, and nVidia has already done the first generation of ray tracing in the RTX 20#0 series of video cards. What can it do with it's improved chips? And it still doesn't matter, none of the games that I play, or interested in, does ray tracing yet. And with Micro$oft publishing the DX12_2 info AMD and Intel know what they are designing for. This should be interesting to see.

I am looking forward to when the Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDA) end and we start seeing actual reviews, with pricing. While my GTX 1070 is doing a nice job of driving my 32" curved 1440 display at speeds up to it's 144 MHz max, it will be nice to drop in a new gen GPU (not saying Ampere or Big Navi, just ready to upgrade, along with the CPU from 5 2600 to maybe a 9 3900). I will interested in seeing what the effect of PCIe generations (3 vs 4) on performance, and does the RTX 30#0 do better than their RTX 20#0 in PCIe 3 slots or not.

So, the real questions for me is do I upgrade this generation (is the improvements worth it), and if I do, how much does it cost me?

In case you're reading these comments, everything above this comment was made before the official announcement. Yup, we got some of our clearly stated guesses wrong. So did everyone else. ;-) But now we've updated the article with correct specs and pricing details. $1500 is the bottom of my price estimate, which is 'nice,' but I suspect many RTX 3090 GPUs will sell at closer to $2000 during the first month or two of availability.

you should all have a look at the used market right now, people still think they get 1000 usd for a 2080ti by using the marketing lingo and saying like new......or limited edition. Some people are going to be quite disappointed,,,, thanks nv!

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
I have $1400 stashed away for the new GPU line up. While I was going to go for a 3090, looks like that will be a little much. Even at $1400, the parter boards would be quite a bit higher, as well as tax/shipping.

I'll wait to see what AMD has to offer before I decide then, and use the extra for either a new AMD processor or an actual nice chair for my setup I suppose. Not that my 3700x isn't fine for what I do, but still.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
I will wait and see what AMD is bringing to the table, yet I think a new RTX 3070 or 3080 is in my future for my current rig. I'll build a new PC in about three years, once the Zen 4 or 5 is out, competing with Until's i7-127xx or 137xx. I wonder if Until will make it to the 7mn process by then? Should be looking at the end of the RTX 40#0, and waiting for the new RTX 50#0 around that time. At that time I hope that VR will really find it's stride, and be mainstream.

@spentshells LOL, yes. The new 3070 has the same ability as the 2080, according to nVidia, at only $500, while the new 3080 defeats the 2080 Ti for only $700, while the 3090 replaces the Titan RTX at $1500. Wonder if I can purchase the new 3070 for $500 and sell it as an 2080 killer for $800. LOL

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
$1600 for a gaming GPU is not acceptable , we are to be blamed , we allowed Nvidia to sell at crazy prices when we did not refuse to buy their products. I think Apple ditched them and went all AMD for their crazy Prices nothing else .

Come on AMD , we need competition ...
This is not a gaming GPU. This is the rebranding of the Titan GPU line to the XX90

This is not a gaming GPU. This is the rebranding of the Titan GPU line to the XX90
That's not really true. Titan cards were only made and sold by Nvidia -- there were no third party Titan models available. They were also lower volume, lower production, and that leads to higher prices. By putting the 3090 into the GeForce brand rather than Titan, it will inevitably sell more and there will be more variations from all of the AIB partners. Plus the price dropped from $2500 to $1500.

In short, anything in the GeForce brand is inherently marketed toward gaming. So this is actively being sold as a gaming GPU.

It's still uber-expensive, yes. But if you think effectively $1500 makes this a Titan, then the RTX 2080 Ti was already in that same ballpark. For people that could afford a 2080 Ti, I don't think an extra $300 is going to matter much. Not when you get more than double the VRAM compared to the 3080, even if it's only ~20% more performance.