News Nvidia GeForce RTX 40-Series GPUs Tipped to Debut in Early Q3

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I might upgrade my 3090 to 40XX depending on TDP and benchmarks. I'd like a stable 300 fps at 2k res. Looking forward to 300Hz mini LED screens.

My RTX 2060 is getting a bit long in the tooth, and hasn't really ever been able to do RT properly. Would like to switch it out for a RTX 4060 or 4060Ti. I usually don't upgrade until I can get double the performance for the same price as the original, and I'm not convinced either the RTX 4060 or RTX 4060Ti will be twice as fast as an RTX 2060, with the exception of RT.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Interesting situation for Nvidia. They're battling the need to have production and stock at launch with the pressure to release before demand and prices fall further. GPUs are getting squeezed between crypto falling off a cliff and gamers being forced to direct more money to necessities. I expect that this will be another paper launch.

I would love to have a 4070. I think the 4080 will consume too much power. There is no urgent desire to upgrade anymore, although faster render times in Blender would be nice.

I really doubt this will debut at Computex. The smart business move is to allow AMD to debut their Multi-Chip-Module Radeon 7000 series and give out performance figures and pricing. Because lets face it, the MCM is hard to estimate final performance at the moment until we know more about heat, power and clock speed. Then Nvidia will adjust their product stack naming and pricing accordingly to be competitive.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The smart business move is to allow AMD to debut their Multi-Chip-Module Radeon 7000 series and give out performance figures and pricing.
No, it isn't from Nvidia's perspective. Recent generations have shown us that Nvidia goes first and picks whatever price they feel like. Then AMD shows up and prices slightly below Nvidia, but not enough below to force Nvidia to lower prices. If Nvidia lets AMD go first, there's a chance AMD will be more price aggressive and pick prices lower than NVidia wants to price just slightly above.

The other thing to consider is the first to market gets their cards compared to the competition's previous generation which will look much better in bar graphs since launch reviews are typically what people will find when searching for reviews at any point in the future.

No, it isn't from Nvidia's perspective. Recent generations have shown us that Nvidia goes first and picks whatever price they feel like. Then AMD shows up and prices slightly below Nvidia, but not enough below to force Nvidia to lower prices. If Nvidia lets AMD go first, there's a chance AMD will be more price aggressive and pick prices lower than NVidia wants to price just slightly above.

The other thing to consider is the first to market gets their cards compared to the competition's previous generation which will look much better in bar graphs since launch reviews are typically what people will find when searching for reviews at any point in the future.

Yes, but in all those instances, Nvidia had something to answer back with in terms of performance and always held the flagship position and they knew this. AMD has yet to have a card that can outperform Nvidia's best card. So in response to AMD, they would release a cut down version of their higher end card, call it a Ti or Super version and sell it for around the same price or slightly higher than the AMD counterpart. But the MCM architecture is a big unknown in performance, it's possible that AMD will take the performance crown with this generation.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Yes, but in all those instances, Nvidia had something to answer back with in terms of performance and always held the flagship position and they knew this. AMD has yet to have a card that can outperform Nvidia's best card. So in response to AMD, they would release a cut down version of their higher end card, call it a Ti or Super version and sell it for around the same price or slightly higher than the AMD counterpart. But the MCM architecture is a big unknown in performance, it's possible that AMD will take the performance crown with this generation.
The scenario you described is not what happened with Ampere and RDNA2. If the rumored specs for the 4090 are accurate, Nvidia has cut down AD102 about 15%, which leaves decent headroom for a faster 4090ti.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Everything I read says price/performance ratio will largely stay stagnated and will be on part with previous gens. So if you want 3090 performance you'll have to pay $1200+ this gen's 40 series to get it.

Welcome to the age of $600+ 60 series cards.
There have been no leaks on potential pricing. Anything conclusion you are coming up with on this is pure speculation on your part.

The scenario you described is not what happened with Ampere and RDNA2. If the rumored specs for the 4090 are accurate, Nvidia has cut down AD102 about 15%, which leaves decent headroom for a faster 4090ti.

It didn't need to happen because Covid and Mining both happened. Both Nvidia and AMD were completely sold out of cards and even raised prices. Literally no cards were on shelves for more than a few hours. There was no competition in the last 2 years, it was a game of pumping out as much as you could.

Nvidia also announced first in September of 2020, giving AMD a month to assess their product stack. They priced accordingly positioning the 6800xt against the 3080 but undercutting by $50. But the 6900xt was priced $500 less than the 3090. Some believe the 3080ti we got, was not what were were supposed to get(GA102-250) in the original plan, but an even more watered down product(GA102-225) due to the fact that it would sell out regardless. The GA102-250 variant would have been a better competitor at $1199 to the 6900xt.

There have been no leaks on potential pricing. Anything conclusion you are coming up with on this is pure speculation on your part.

View: https://youtu.be/RjThnVBKh1U

Not the first time I heard these quotes. This is just one I saw. Pricing increases at tsmc are partly to blame. I saw the price per transistor was roughly the same.

Price : Performance really didn't budge much from 10 to 20 series. And despite "MSRP" on the 30 series looking decent, how many $1000 MSRP 3080 cards did we see? So the bar didn't move much there. And the entry level pricing just kept going up.

Same with AMD. 6600XT is roughly the same performance as the 5700XT yet it cost more. How did that happen?

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
It didn't need to happen because Covid and Mining both happened. Both Nvidia and AMD were completely sold out of cards and even raised prices. Literally no cards were on shelves for more than a few hours. There was no competition in the last 2 years, it was a game of pumping out as much as you could.

Nvidia also announced first in September of 2020, giving AMD a month to assess their product stack. They priced accordingly positioning the 6800xt against the 3080 but undercutting by $50. But the 6900xt was priced $500 less than the 3090. Some believe the 3080ti we got, was not what were were supposed to get(GA102-250) in the original plan, but an even more watered down product(GA102-225) due to the fact that it would sell out regardless. The GA102-250 variant would have been a better competitor at $1199 to the 6900xt.
In summary, you're saying what you think should happen, and I'm telling what is actually happening. Thank you for clearing that up.

Jan 3, 2022
With an Ada Lovelace launch in July, Nvidia can gain an advantage over AMD and strike down Intel before it rises.

They won't struck down Intel since Nvdia will aim enthusiast gmaing and Intel will go for low-middle range gaming this year. Next year will be more interesting with RDNA3 in the mix.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
View: https://youtu.be/RjThnVBKh1U

Not the first time I heard these quotes. This is just one I saw. Pricing increases at tsmc are partly to blame. I saw the price per transistor was roughly the same.

Price : Performance really didn't budge much from 10 to 20 series. And despite "MSRP" on the 30 series looking decent, how many $1000 MSRP 3080 cards did we see? So the bar didn't move much there. And the entry level pricing just kept going up.

Same with AMD. 6600XT is roughly the same performance as the 5700XT yet it cost more. How did that happen?
Any leak from a leaker any of us have heard of? There's a reason you don't see pricing leaks months out from reputable leakers because they are nothing but blind guesses. There have been releases where leakers haven't been able to confirm the final MSRP before the official announcement. Nvidia and AMD have some target range they are aiming for early on, but they don't settle on an actual price until extremely close to launch day.

Any leak from a leaker any of us have heard of? There's a reason you don't see pricing leaks months out from reputable leakers because they are nothing but blind guesses. There have been releases where leakers haven't been able to confirm the final MSRP before the official announcement. Nvidia and AMD have some target range they are aiming for early on, but they don't settle on an actual price until extremely close to launch day.

Well maybe.... :) My information about $/million transistors is accurate. But my lips are sealed where I got this info from.