News Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Specs Leak: AD104 Cut by a Quarter

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
SMH. What is Nvidia thinking this gen. How, HOW is it the RTX 4090 is still going to be the best bang for the buck this generation from Nvidia. This is utterly insane and has me wondering where the rest of the cards are going to land. Is the RTX 4090 Ti going to drop and miraculously be 1799 for another 30 percent dethroning the bang for buck vanilla 4090? <-- s/ I seriously wonder what the 60, and 50 series are going to have in store for consumers. Things certainly don't look good at this point. I truly hope AMD spanks Nvidia from the 7900XTX/RTX 4080 down the stacks. I only wish AMD could have had an offering for the high end so users like myself could have walked the other way more easily.

Reactions: salgado18

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
SMH. What is Nvidia thinking this gen. How, HOW is it the RTX 4090 is still going to be the best bang for the buck this generation from Nvidia. This is utterly insane and has me wondering where the rest of the cards are going to land. Is the RTX 4090 Ti going to drop and miraculously be 1799 for another 30 percent dethroning the bang for buck vanilla 4090? <-- s/ I seriously wonder what the 60, and 50 series are going to have in store for consumers. Things certainly don't look good at this point. I truly hope AMD spanks Nvidia from the 7900XTX/RTX 4080 down the stacks. I only wish AMD could have had an offering for the high end so users like myself could have walked the other way more easily.
AMD cards are coming. In the meantime, Nvidia will surely charge as much as it can from their cards, while there is no competition. Even though Radeons should not be as powerful (at least in raytracing), they will probably fight very hard on price/performance, as they have been for some time.

However, something tells me it will actually take some time for prices to go down. AMD will probably price their cards high too, just a bit lower. Then, in the coming months, they will both reduce card prices by $10 or $20 at a time. It may take a while for them to cost something reasonable, I think.

Reactions: atomicWAR

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
And all pundits were telling anyone who would listen: Wait till the 4xxx come out, they'll be much better and less expensive.....

So, the crowd waited for this??

The pathetic shenanigans and obscene greed from nGreedia never fails to disappoint!!

Personally I believe you may have jumped the gun buying the 4090 over the 7900xtx, but I do not know your circumstances for needing that performance. I feel like if you wanted to vote with your dollars you could have gone with the AMD card and been just fine and you still can. Check benchmarks for the 7900XTX when it comes out and if its good enough for you, sell that 4090 get the AMD card and pocket the rest for the next build while voting AMD with your money.

I personally wont buy a card over 700 MSRP and to spite vote Nvidia my next card will be AMD, G-Sync compatibility be damned.

Last edited:
Reactions: atomicWAR and PEnns

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Lol. Everybody saying the 4070 base would outperform the 3090ti 10-30% just some months ago, now its shaping to be a 3080 at $700 (again). I'm happy we have AMD, really.
Yeah "everybody" said that. Glad you're happy. We know nothing about the next Radeon generation except for AMD's usual over optimistic marketing leaks. But from those "everybody" is saying that this gen is like all the prior gens that follow Nvidia's products: less expensive. less powerful. But that's probably the reason why Radeons get roughly 3% of GPU addon card market share compared to Nvidia.

Reactions: KyaraM

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021

If the leaked 7900XTX benchmarks leaks are correct even the 7900XTX is over priced! Based on the leaked benchmarks the 7900XTX would be a 42% price increase when matched against the last gen 3080 tier, which is just unheard of for a gen over gen price increase and just sad.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
If the leaked 7900XTX benchmarks leaks are correct even the 7900XTX is over priced! Based on the leaked benchmarks the 7900XTX would be a 42% price increase when matched against the last gen 3080 tier, which is just unheard of for a gen over gen price increase and just sad.

Let's just wait until 3rd party benchmarks come out in a few days before we make incorrect claims about price to performance of the AMD products.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Lol. Everybody saying the 4070 base would outperform the 3090ti 10-30% just some months ago, now its shaping to be a 3080 at $700 (again). I'm happy we have AMD, really.
If the 4070 ends up being the same performance and same price as a 3080, I'll likely buy it. I wanted to buy a 3080 two years ago, but could never find one close to MSRP. Once they finally got cheaper a few months ago, I decided to wait to see the new cards around the corner.
My monitor has a G-Sync module (bought a month before the G-Sync compatible program. lol.) So if I want to keep adaptive sync, which I do, I'm locked into Nvidia.

Assuming a 4070 is the exact performance as a 3080 for the same price, it would still have a few important benefits for me: 1) availability. 2) AV1 encoding. 3) 20% more VRAM. 4) better RT performance. 5) better power efficiency. So, it'd still be a minor upgrade, and those first two points are very important for me. Might not be the 50% better performance at the same price point that I would have hoped for, but it hopefully won't be worse than the 3080 either, and at least I should be able to buy the damn thing in a few months, assuming mining doesn't take off again.

That's me, anyway. :)

Reactions: KyaraM and kinney
And all pundits were telling anyone who would listen: Wait till the 4xxx come out, they'll be much better and less expensive.....
So, the crowd waited for this?? The pathetic shenanigans and obscene greed from nGreedia never fails to disappoint!!

First of all, I don't know of anyone who has ever said that a new generation of card would be both faster and cost than their series predecessors. When has that ever happened in the history of GPUs? At best argument, the price increases throughout history for each new series have been flat or increased only moderately (say for example 980 vs. 1080 going from $499 to $549 MSRP, or the GTX 580 vs. 680 holding at $499). The price gap has only increased exponentially since the RTX series were first released (RTX 2080 vs. 1080 was $719 vs. $549). So I don't know where you read all those "pundits" remarks. Can you provide a couple of examples? Starting with say members here on these forums? I'd really like to see that. If not here, then Reddit forums don't count as a basis for your "pundits" argument.

Second and finally, your hatred of Nvidia is duly noted. As one who has bought 9 Nvidia and 2 AMD GPUs since 1999, I prefer Nvidia for a lot of reasons, and don't really care what haters think.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Personally I believe you may have jumped the gun buying the 4090 over the 7900xtx, but I do not know your circumstances for needing that performance. I feel like if you wanted to vote with your dollars you could have gone with the AMD card and been just fine and you still can. Check benchmarks for the 7900XTX when it comes out and if its good enough for you, sell that 4090 get the AMD card and pocket the rest for the next build while voting AMD with your money.

I personally wont buy a card over 700 MSRP and to spite vote Nvidia my next card will be AMD, G-Sync compatibility be damned.

My old build died a few months back so there was a relative urgency to build. I waited longer than I wanted to just to get the newer gen stuff I was waiting for to begin with (I was on an old x79 system with a eight core Xeon 1680 V2 @ 4.3). But when you have to buy right now sometimes voting with your dollars is easier said than done when trying to hit a certain performance target. Considering I was coming from a RTX 2080 Ti which meant nothing in the 3000/6000 series product stacks remotely interested me performance wise.

That said in a perfect world your not wrong. And honestly as a 4K and now recently high refresh rate gamer as I picked up 43" 4K Gigabyte Auros FV43U back in June preparing for my new build, my options were limited IMO. So frankly even a RTX 4080/7900XTX do not grab my attention at the prices listed/planned. Had then dropped those prices to 799 maybe 899 with that performance level I may have considered it. But 999-1199, nah. I'll buckle down now and get another 30% for another few hundred and maybe skip an extra generation down the road before upgrading. Thus my condrum...

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

A few things - when spending ~$3-4k on components the difference in price becomes less of a differentiating factor and we pay for the best.

Next you are championing xx80 performance at 1k according to the leaks. If it falls in line slightly behind then it is priced accordingly... Unfortunately this seems to be the market correction for pricing of GPUs with raising costs, global economic concerns, and lowered output... At least at launch while the scalpers are active. Why would nvidia / amd not take that income? When demand drops so will prices.

Lastly the $1500 seems "ok" for a Titan class card adjusting for inflation. I have no interest in a 1k card at 80 performance. The pricing of the 80 is insane and Im shocked they are selling. Downstream could be even worse. Yet lets not champion AMD until they at least hit the shelves. You might be disappointed if looking for a substantial value prop vs the bs pricing of nvidia (which may be adjusted).

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
First of all, I don't know of anyone who has ever said that a new generation of card would be both faster and cost than their series predecessors. When has that ever happened in the history of GPUs? ns, and don't really care what haters think.

Bro what are you talking about? For the last 6 years the 80 series was sold for $699. 1080Ti, 2080Super, 3080.. $699 . The RTX3080=1.5x2080=2x1080.. so ahn yes it's nonsense to pay anything over that for a 4080 even if it's 1.5x3080, doesn't matter if it's faster because that had always been the case. The 980Ti.. $649, that's a $50 raise in 8 years bro!! May Nvidia charge more? Yes .. $50.. maybe $100.. not <Mod Edit> $500, no way. What's actually happening for the first time ever is for a 70 series to match the 80 series of the past generation BOTH on price and performance. The 1070 stomp on the 980Ti and the 3070 beat the 2080Ti, for $200 less. Now the 4070 ending up to he a rebranded 3080 at the same price? That's NONSENSE.

Btw: the 970 also beat the 780Ti.. so for the last 10 years that has been the case. The 4070 should be 3090lvl, that's what costumers expected MINIMUM. What everybody really wanted thouf was 10% 3090Ti.. at sub $600. No they got it backwards, it came out way weaker and way more expensive. Because of DLSS3? I hope they flo HARD. This time it's AMD or used 3000, say no to Nvidia new cards and pricing

Last edited by a moderator:
I only wish AMD could have had an offering for the high end so users like myself could have walked the other way more easily.
except not many ppl NEED the HALO gpu.

AMD likely doesnt try because of that fact.

the next tier down from halo is where "most" ppl will cap out at.
that and the 60 tier likely sell the most.

so AMD always hitting those 2 hard is logical.
AMD will probably price their cards high too, just a bit lower.
AMD has price out.
"The AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT hits shelves at $899 USD, while the Radeon RX 7900 XTX comes in at $999 "

When has that ever happened in the history of GPUs?
RTX 3000 series :|

cost less (msrp anyways) & performed better than 2000 series.

iirc the 2080 was 799 while the 3080 was 699. (msrp anyways not what stores/scalpers sold for)

a 1080 was originally 599. 2080 jumped to 799 (and wasnt that much better outside raytracing)

2000 series was a "loss" to nvidia due to ppl opting for old gen. thus 3000 series was cut in price to entice people more.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
except not many ppl NEED the HALO gpu.

AMD likely doesnt try because of that fact.

the next tier down from halo is where "most" ppl will cap out at.
that and the 60 tier likely sell the most.

so AMD always hitting those 2 hard is logical.

AMD has price out.
"The AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT hits shelves at $899 USD, while the Radeon RX 7900 XTX comes in at $999 "

RTX 3000 series :|

cost less (msrp anyways) & performed better than 2000 series.

iirc the 2080 was 799 while the 3080 was 699. (msrp anyways not what stores/scalpers sold for)

a 1080 was originally 599. 2080 jumped to 799 (and wasnt that much better outside raytracing)

2000 series was a "loss" to nvidia due to ppl opting for old gen. thus 3000 series was cut in price to entice people more.
2080 MSRP was $700. 2080 FE MSRP was $800. 2080 was a lot faster than a 1080. At launch it was single digits faster than a 1080Ti. The gap widened as time went on.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Bro what are you talking about? For the last 6 years the 80 series was sold for $699. 1080Ti, 2080Super, 3080.. $699 .
Not sure why you are picking different tiers from different generations. 1080 launched at $600, FE at $700. 2080 launched at $700, with the FE at $800 (Super was a refresh), 3080 was $700 (if you had a friend that worked at Best Buy).

2080 MSRP was $700.
not founders. (and you never found aib's that low)
At launch it was single digits faster than a 1080Ti.
...yes which is meaningless (as if u tried any raytracing it wasnt) when 1080 were cheaper new AND much cheaper on used market.

. The gap widened as time went on.
which is irrelevant to the launch cost.

ppl pay for the performance at launch not later down line (else they'd just wait till then)

point is the 30 series was cheaper than 20 series and performed better (which was point of the reply topic)

point of it is to say that the price of a new gen was worth it as you got higher tier last gen.

i.e. if you got a 2060 for $300-350 it had similar performance to a 1070.

generally speaking every "new" gen is old gen tier bumped up 1 however apart from the 4090.. the 4080 (and 4070 leak) they are god awful uplifts to the increased cost.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
not founders. (and you never found aib's that low)
There were no $700 3080 AIB cards at any point either.

...yes which is meaningless (as if u tried any raytracing it wasnt) when 1080 were cheaper new AND much cheaper on used market.
You're missing the point. You said the 2080 wasn't much better than a 1080. It was absolutely much better, I'm saying it was slightly better at launch than a 1080Ti ,which is a higher tier card.

Hold up. You're telling us, the old out going generation was cheaper on the used market than the new generation was new? That's insane. When has that ever happened before?

which is irrelevant to the launch cost.

ppl pay for the performance at launch not later down line (else they'd just wait till then)

point is the 30 series was cheaper than 20 series and performed better (which was point of the reply topic)
Don't tell that to the AMD crowd.

The 30 series wasn't cheaper at launch, and within a couple months, crypto completely blew the prices up.